Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Looks different than mine, mine plugs into my meter. Still though.. every time you use it, its squeaky bum time..

Stand sideways with your free hand in your pocket and no jewelry on when your doing it, rings etc. also try wear shoes with rubber soles just in case.. and have a resuscitation device standing by.. ;)

Whenever ive done it, i expect a loud crack or at least some movement.. nothing though. never noticed anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

keithgeo wrote: »
    its squeaky bum time..

Use more vaseline..

Do these still generate a satisfying spark or slowly release the charge ?

Ive never got a spark or anything doing it using the HV probe, i think that might be more common using the screwdriver method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,235 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

keithgeo wrote: »
    Looks different than mine, mine plugs into my meter. Still though.. every time you use it, its squeaky bum time..

Stand sideways with your free hand in your pocket and no jewelry on when your doing it, rings etc. also try wear shoes with rubber soles just in case.. and have a resuscitation device standing by.. ;)

Whenever ive done it, i expect a loud crack or at least some movement.. nothing though. never noticed anything.

Yeah you can get ones that plug into a meter or ones that are an all in one units. The all in one versions tend to cost quite a lot, I got lucky with this one on ebay.us for $20 though, no other bidders. :)
    Use more vaseline..

Do these still generate a satisfying spark or slowly release the charge ?

They do the exact same thing as the 'screwdriver with a piece of chord' method, just you get a little bit more reassurance as it's a professionally made product :D plus you get to see if there's actually any charge left in it. So no guessing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I'm not sure I could keep a steady hand while discharging older screens. I'd have an image of myself flying backwards across the room constantly running through my head...

Picked those up today. I've owned the PSP since launch and those are the only UMD movies I've ever bought for it. Couldn't pass them up for 47 cent each though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Taito Legends is a nice compilation, pick the second one up if you haven't got it. Great price too on that first one you got, another CEX bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Myrddin wrote: »
    ^ bye :)

I just hope it's the real thing and not a movie prop. No other bidders he says;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Monkeykube wrote: »
    Taito Legends is a nice compilation, pick the second one up if you haven't got it. Great price too on that first one you got, another CEX bargain.

I'll be keeping an eye out for it. Spotted it in there a few weeks ago, but passed over it for some reason. I did end up picking up Crisis Zone for €1 that time, so it's hard to be unhappy, ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Decided to pick up a HV probe for discharging monitors. I know you can make a simple enough tool with a screwdriver and some chord, but 'ain't nobody got time fo' dat' :pac: - plus I'm interested in seeing if it registers any voltage.

Registers up to 40,000 volts so should do the trick!

PROBE_zps6057ea00.jpg
    40,000volts down that little cable you say:eek:
    I've only discharged 2 or 3 monitors and they never registered any voltage, I think most modern arcade monitors self discharge and manually discharging is just a precaution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,235 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

tumblr_lf9oh4BNwe1qgubxao1_500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just picked up a lovely Donkey Kong dual screen Game & Watch.
    Only 30 as well and in great nick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

oh nice. where did you get that ?
    to think I used to collect them as a kid and my brother threw EVERYTHING away one clear out day. boxes 'n all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Guy on Adverts had it up for 40, I made an offer and he accepted.
    Of course, this knocks my planned purchase of Smash Bros for the 3DS on it's tail, but I'll always be able to pick that up, while a local Donkey Kong G&W is a rarer thing.
    I now have four of the buggers, I'll be keeping the peepers peeled for some more affordable ones, preferably the ones I liked the first time, so Fire, Parachute, Octopus and Zelda, the original handhelds though, not the keychain remakes.

Just bought this... HAPPY CHRISTMAS! :pac::pac:

SFJUMPER.jpg

They have a good sonic one aswell..

http://www.yellowbulldog.co.uk/products/street-fighter-xmas-jumper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Recent gets

v4tl5f.jpg

a5e44x.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

Not exactly retro, but would rather give you guys the heads up. Got a Black 3DS XL today in Argos, and turns out it's on firmware 4.5.0.

Apparently that's desirable to some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Not exactly retro, but would rather give you guys the heads up. Got a Black 3DS XL today in Argos, and turns out it's on firmware 4.5.0.

Apparently that's desirable to some people.

1328026975arvadacenter-pirate-tattoos-big-png.png

Got this in the post today from a friend in France.
    photo(1).JPG

This was the MSX 2 version of Castlevania. I must have played this exclusively for about 2 years. I did prefer it to the NES version I must say. You could buy items from vendors with the hearts collected. The powers had limited uses. There was no side scrolling but better and cleaner graphics, playability and sound.... ohhh the sounds...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's an alright game but I much prefer the NES version. Vampire Killer is just a bit too weird and unfocused for me. Nice find all the same, it's quite hard to come by.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's an alright game but I much prefer the NES version. Vampire Killer is just a bit too weird and unfocused for me. Nice find all the same, it's quite hard to come by.
    No , it was the best and only castlevania game ever made. Period :D
    Joking aside, having played and finished a few versions, I do think the MSX is much better, but admittedly it's said with huge amount of nostalgia and MSX bias.

Funny thing, the first time I saw the NES version (it was in an arcade type machine with a load of NES games) in the waiting room at the Roscoff Ferry port, i thought it was a cheap knock-off :)

Here's the machine itself, I got this a while back but forgot to post it.

photo(2).JPG

This arrived yesterday,
    5245-541fdd07aad39.png
    Basically, a straight lift from the cart music, and that's no bad thing, but the cool jazzy sounds of the Super Mario 3D World OST was nice to hear.
    Still, it'll complement this thing I downloaded the other day!
    kirby_kover_front.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Jesus I havent picked up anything in ages ,I've no time with college and work .To be honest I'm thinking of clearing out everything bar the nes/meg/atari and then putting them up in the attic for the kids in a few years (keeping the Arcade cab though, although might trade the unconverted one for something),and concentrate on study and actually getting code finished .(my demo for' Cash Quest #0:Bank balance rising' still has a ton of dialog left to be added before I can put it up for download and I've NO FECKIN TIME!)
    Oh before I forget theres a bric a brac shop opened up under the bridge in talbot st , they've a decent enough pong clone boxed , looking for 25 though.

Managed to track this down at a decent price

2s0yfyc.jpg

did I mention I love all things Castlevania ? :D

%24_1.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Managed to track this down at a decent price

2s0yfyc.jpg

Saw it in Rare at the weekend for €30 or so.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Saw it in Rare at the weekend for €30 or so.

Rare, or RAGE? Yeah €30 seems about right, I got it for a bit under it so was happy enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Rare, or RAGE? Yeah €30 seems about right, I got it for a bit under it so was happy enough

Yep that's the one, head up my arse !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ZsB2g7vl.jpg

The snes game is joe and mac 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    ZsB2g7vl.jpg

The snes game is joe and mac 2.

So jelly if Deception 2 :c

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement