Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

What is it exactly about LCDs that makes retro consoles look so terrible on them?

Is it purely the conversion from Interlaced to Progressive that does it or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,235 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

MrVestek wrote: »
    What is it exactly about LCDs that makes retro consoles look so terrible on them?

Is it purely the conversion from Interlaced to Progressive that does it or what?

Upscaling and blurring.
    Incorrect Aspect ratio (although thankfully this is at least fixable on some TVs)
    'Gaming modes' people aren't aware of which can cause some bizarre issues.
    Flickering. I get this with some of my consoles over RGB on my LCD and I'm not sure what's causing it.
    Lack of scanlines so you're not actually seeing the game how it was designed to be seen - the pixels all just blob together :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

MrVestek wrote: »

Firstly blacks look terrible on LCD screens and colours are really bad compared to CRT. CRTs are far more vivid whereas even the best LCD will be washed out. OLED and Plasma screens look a lot better.

Then the big one is the antialiasing provided by the scanlines and how CRTs display pixels. LCDs will display pixels as a very well defined square block but on a CRT the image is antialiased and looks way nicer.

Here's an example of a CRT image. You know what an LCD image looks like:
    50071-scanline.jpg

One other thing with modern TVs is that each pixel is displayed as a perfect square whereas on CRTs pixels can be odd rectangular shapes meaning the aspect ratio can be wrong on modern TVs.

A lot of TVs not running in their native resolution will blur pixels that would overlap which looks awful.

Master of the Universe

A big part of my dislike for the N64 stems from the controller. I hate the thing with a passion :pac:

For some unknown reason I can't locate any of my original N64 controllers (probably a blessing in disguise!) so I used this as an opportunity to try something out.

Bought one of those Hori mini N64 pads. They look incredibly comfortable and if you ask me, how the N64 pad should have looked to begin with.

Unfortunately they're not the most common things in the world so aren't cheap (I won't be buying 4 for Goldeneye!) but reckon it'll allow me to get over the controller and try to give some of the games a chance.

Now I just have to contend with PAL 50hz and composite!

n64_zpscd5898eb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It arrived! I'm so happy :) Managed to get away with only paying €18 customs charge on it.

I had wanted to get one of these in Japan but they were preorder only so I Couldn't

172FD3B3-49DB-4A28-A1F5-D1C31053C57A_zpsr2tpyif9.jpg

On a side note I should probably join 3DS buyers anonymous or something

D338C20E-5F3B-43C2-A250-EE8129F61E54_zps5ohzo916.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, to be straight, you have bought two New 3DS consoles.....
    You are a mad man, a mad man with great taste, but a mad man never the less, and that's a professional opinion too.

The boudoir photography needs a little work though...

Master of the Universe

dangersofaddiction.png

:pac:

Seriously though, gorgeous looking console. I take it you're going to add a NNDS once they come out too?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, to be straight, you have bought two New 3DS consoles.....
    You are a mad man, a mad man with great taste, but a mad man never the less, and that's a professional opinion too.

The boudoir photography needs a little work though...

I did! I'm probably going to sell the other one though as I've no real need for it.

o1s1n wrote: »
    dangersofaddiction.png

:pac:

Seriously though, gorgeous looking console. I take it you're going to add a NNDS once they come out too?

Feels lovely too as its suede :P I'll probably try add an NTSC one once they're out over there but only unless there's a special edition one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I have to say I'm liking the new 3ds. Faster processing speed, more buttons, second analogue stick albeit only a nubbin yolk.

If I were to try and justify the spend I'd really have sell my N64 as the only game I ever play on it is Lylat wars which I could pick up for the new 3ds anyway.

Also........ Xenoblade Chronicles which I've never played. I know for shame. I'd kinda like to play this prior to the release of X on the Wii U.

When is the new 3DS releasing in Europe? And what sort of price are we talking? The xl is still going for €200 + in argos etc..

I dont think I'd want to spend a lot more than that tbh on a handheld.

I hear its coming to Australia first. Would it be worth importing with taxes etc or waiting for the european release?

Sorry just did a quick wiki search on it date wise...

JP October 11, 2014
    AUS November 21, 2014[3]
    NA|EU TBD (2015)[4]

So yeah Australia is getting it before us so you could potentially import but tbh I'd probably wait for the European release. It doesnt say but I assume it'll be first quarter 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

I did! I'm probably going to sell the other one though as I've no real need for it.

They might be worth a few bob more in a few months after the euro release if you don't update them since the new 9.3 FW blocks the new gateway and cubic ninja hacks.

I have to say I'm liking the new 3ds. Faster processing speed, more buttons, second analogue stick albeit only a nubbin yolk.

If I were to try and justify the spend I'd really have sell my N64 as the only game I ever play on it is Lylat wars which I could pick up for the new 3ds anyway.

Also........ Xenoblade Chronicles which I've never played. I know for shame. I'd kinda like to play this prior to the release of X on the Wii U.

When is the new 3DS releasing in Europe? And what sort of price are we talking? The xl is still going for €200 + in argos etc..

I dont think I'd want to spend a lot more than that tbh on a handheld.

I hear its coming to Australia first. Would it be worth importing with taxes etc or waiting for the european release?

It feels really nice in the hand and having been using an XL mostly the screen size is not an issue at all. There's no set release date for Europe or America yet but I'd guess spring 2015. Price wise in Japan it's about €140 so over here I'd guess €150-170. It's already out in Australia and you can import one for about €170 or so. I'd probably hold out for a date in Europe as there's nothing exclusive for it just yet.

It feels really nice in the hand and having been using an XL mostly the screen size is not an issue at all. There's no set release date for Europe or America yet but I'd guess spring 2015. Price wise in Japan it's about €140 so over here I'd guess €150-170. It's already out in Australia and you can import one for about €170 or so. I'd probably hold out for a date in Europe as there's nothing exclusive for it just yet.

Yeah I reckon it'll be early next year. I've plenty to keep me busy till then.

€150 to €170 price point is for a normal or an XL?

Yeah I reckon it'll be early next year. I've plenty to keep me busy till then.

€150 to €170 price point is for a normal or an XL?

For the normal one

For the normal one

Thats what I thought. Fair enough price though.

The question is do I go with the normal or XL though.

Considering it wont be going out of the house I'd be inclined to spend the extra few quid and get the xl. Will see when they come out I suppose.

Decisions decisions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thanks to Bkrangle I picked up Battalion Wars for the GameCube from him, its in perfect nick, and one I've wanted for a while now.
    Lovely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

God damit Atavan, that 3DS is glorious. If only the one you were getting rid of was PAL :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I was gonna be strong and keep my present closed ...
    mffcr29
    Thank you so much Secret Santa!

I had a lucky visit to CEX today.
    Not Metroid Prime Trilogy lucky but more like Animal Crossing for the Gamecube kinda lucky.
    Unfortunately the manual is missing, as is the mem card, but I live without the former and have a spare one of the latter somewhere.
    It cost €18, which is pretty decent, and it's the one edition of the game I put any time into, with that slumlord with fur, Tom Nook.
    Also picked up Orcs & Elves for the DS for the princely sum of €2, so not a bad trip all in all.
    Actually, Orcs & Elves looks pretty good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

MURICAAAAAAAAA!!!!1111!!

Na34T4Tl.jpg

• Advertisement

I had a lucky visit to CEX today.
    Not Metroid Prime Trilogy lucky but more like Animal Crossing for the Gamecube kinda lucky.
    Unfortunately the manual is missing, as is the mem card, but I live without the former and have a spare one of the latter somewhere.
    It cost €18, which is pretty decent, and it's the one edition of the game I put any time into, with that slumlord with fur, Tom Nook.
    ]

Is it a PAL version or NTSC?

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    MURICAAAAAAAAA!!!!1111!!

Recent lottery win? :pac:

Would love to pick that up, don't know if I can bring myself to spend that much on an Xbox title though!

Master of the Universe

I usually only buy PAL Snes games but couldn't pass this one up, check out the condition!

Shadowrun_zps542b6638.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I usually only buy PAL Snes games but couldn't pass this one up, check out the condition!

Shadowrun_zps542b6638.jpg
    I thought it was great fun, didn't finish it though but when I say my brain is burnt it's because of that game lol.
    Also picked up Orcs & Elves for the DS for the princely sum of €2, so not a bad trip all in all.
    Actually, Orcs & Elves looks pretty good
    That doesn't look bad, its like Eye of the Beholder, I'd buy it, gonna keep an - eye out!
    ( ^ω^)

Recent lottery win? :pac:

Would love to pick that up, don't know if I can bring myself to spend that much on an Xbox title though!

I've wanted it for ages but hadn't a job to afford it. The price for it is just going up and up as well so decided to pull the trigger before it gets any sillier. Definitely wasn't cheap but the seller did send some japanese sweets with it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Bought this last week off Logie, finally got it home to the house on Friday and put the MK2 PCB and Soundboard in it today..

I have all the artwork printed and red tmolding so the decision is do i leave it as is or do i want to go through the hassle of fixing it up a bit...

2h2mkcn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭Doge

keithgeo wrote: »
    Bought this last week off Logie, finally got it home to the house on Friday and put the MK2 PCB and Soundboard in it today..

I have all the artwork printed and red tmolding so the decision is do i leave it as is or do i want to go through the hassle of fixing it up a bit...

2h2mkcn.jpg

Looks great to me as is. Nice GET!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

keithgeo wrote: »

Awesome get. A grail cab for me.

Have you held the new artwork up agsindt the old? That original artwork tends to fade massively over the years.
    I wouldn't be able to resist putting on new artwork!

Master of the Universe

You lucky lucky fecker!!

I'd leave it as is. Would much rather a cab that was 100% original (with a few dings) than a refurbished one that removed original artwork.

Unless the artwork happens to be in tatters - this looks fine though.

In the end, it's MDF, a monitor and the artwork. So removing the artwork removes part of the cab. Well it does in my eyes anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

yeh im in two minds to be honest, the artwork looks grand in those photos but up close its got a lot of creases in it on one side and theres a couple of lumps gone out of the other side about knee height. i keep going back and forth to be honest since i have the artwork here. cpo defo needs replacing as its faded, the plexi is broke in the corner so needs replacing. i might do some cleaning up on it first and leave the sideart till last and make a decision on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement