Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have a peculiar cable for the Xbox, official I think, that includes an optical out for audio.
    Is this a LOOK! R@RE!!! thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have a peculiar cable for the Xbox, official I think, that includes an optical out for audio.

Not really, that's the official SCART RGB cable. I've one as well so yours is only half as rare as you though it was :)

Its handy for hooking up to a surround sound amp and its very easy to convert that optical out into a coax audio out if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

No. The original HD breakout box for the Xbox is rare enough to find over in these parts as it wasn't released over here, Microsoft didn't think that Europe had much of a an appetite for HD TV back in 2004 or so.

We haven't had HD services here for very long in comparison to the States anyway. If you do manage to come across one I'd hold onto it. They're rare enough to get your hands on in the states nowadays anyway.

Those XBOX cables were also keyed so only certain video outputs were enabled depending on the cable plugged in.
    To get 480p you need the component cable plugged in or have the console modded I think, been a long time since I look at any of this stuff.

Was an avid follower of Bunnies blog back in the day and only bought the Xbox once he confirmed he'd hacked it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Tried to take a few more snaps, Nikon really need to do a 'crt scanline lens'

Andrew76 - I tried that flower (!) setting you mentioned before but they still mostly come out rainbow banded. :(

Probably just need to switch to really fine tuning the camera settings. (while on a tripod!)

You can't really see the scanlines in these pics, but they do kind of illustrate the clarity. From what I can remember, you can barely read the 'Mario 64' text behind Mario's head in composite.

DSC_0953_zps66804287.jpg

DSC_0949_zpsddad57a3.jpg

The text clarity is such a colossal improvement. Like night and day compared to how it was before. Still a bit of the famous n64 vaseline blur, but at least there's no mad bleeding or dot crawl.

DSC_0937_zpsa7a2ac0a.jpg

DSC_0960_zps2dbeddd6.jpg

DSC_0965_zps8fd05a80.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The camera I have is the same, it just can't do scanline pics :( I can see the difference in those pics though o1s1n, I think I'll end up sending over my N64 to chap at some stage during the year to have the 2 mods done

Master of the Universe

I'd love to know what camera Andrew76 and Monkeykube use. They always manage pretty phenomenal scanline pics.

Definitely get the mod done dude! It's like you can suddenly appreciate the console as how it was meant to be. I'm starting to not quite hate it so much :D

I think it's running PAL games in 50hz. The screen has black bars but I'm not sure if they look as big as normal. Need to pick up an NTSC game to check. (Good excuse to buy Sin and Punishment!!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'd love to know what camera Andrew76 and Monkeykube use. They always manage pretty phenomenal scanline pics.

Definitely get the mod done dude! It's like you can suddenly appreciate the console as how it was meant to be. I'm starting to not quite hate it so much :D

I think it's running PAL games in 50hz. The screen has black bars but I'm not sure if they look as big as normal. Need to pick up an NTSC game to check. (Good excuse to buy Sin and Punishment!!)

Play a game from a crappy third party publisher. Nintendo made an attempt at 50Hz conversions with the N64 speeding up some games and reducing the black bars but not eliminating them in most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

That's really nice, at the moment I have a s-video cable in my one. Must take a few pictures later. Do you know what he charges if you send him the n64 to do the mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭smliv

To get the hd from xbox you need it modded so you can use a region changer prog (eg. enigmha) to change it to ntsc then plug in your component cable and go to video settings on microsft dash and enable the resolutions you want.Heimdall's Xbox Engineering disc -Hexen has loads oftools on it for fixing and cleaning up messed up softmods and an option for enabling the 480p and vga

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

smliv wrote: »
    To get the hd from xbox you need it modded so you can use a region changer prog (eg. enigmha) to change it to ntsc then plug in your component cable and go to video settings on microsft dash and enable the resolutions you want.Heimdall's Xbox Engineering disc -Hexen has loads oftools on it for fixing and cleaning up messed up softmods and an option for enabling the 480p and vga

Right but if you do that with a softmod it seems to brick the Dashboard. My Crystal Xbox has an E message on it at the moment, haven't had the time to re-softmod it to repair it.

MrVestek wrote: »
    Right but if you do that with a softmod it seems to brick the Dashboard. My Crystal Xbox has an E message on it at the moment, haven't had the time to re-softmod it to repair it.

I've done the softmod in that past no problem, but the last few times I've done it, for some reason it has been causing problems. The console won't boot first time, only 2nd time onwards, & the stock boot option never works. Kinda fed up with softmods now, & am waiting on an eeprom reader to just put the console back to stock. From now on I'll just do the tsop mod if needs be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Nintendo goodness from the past week. Courtesy of Ebay, Jack Burton and Smyths respectively!

C9A3A82C-7E30-483F-AFE6-8604799C8BC8_zpsnbsog4ri.jpg

Master of the Universe

Just found this in a Guitar Hero case in my folks house... Yoink! :pac:

IMG_20150109_185854142_zps4f6f5f84.jpg

Master of the Universe

Finally got my hands on a game that's been on the list for years and years.

Have put it off as I've never really had any way of playing Japanese n64 games.

sinanp_zps7d473101.jpg

sinandp2_zpse0237cbd.jpg

sinandp3_zps52c9da57.jpg

sinandp4_zps50645df5.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm only two JAP only N64 games worth owning: Bangaioh and Sin and Punishment. I'm guessing the second.

Got a load of stuff myself recent, I'll put up pictures whenever I'm in Dublin next.

Yesterday I got a gamebit screwdriver finally. Immediately opened up all my rare SNES games. The sense of relief I had that none were boots.

Master of the Universe

Hah! It's an awful few moments as you scurry to get the screws out though isn't it?

Inevitably one always gets a little bit jammed and the balance between heightened tension and remaining careful becomes very blurred :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    Inevitably one always gets a little bit jammed and the balance between heightened tension and remaining careful becomes very blurred :D

It wasn't that exciting for me. I nearly lost a screw but found after looking through the carpet that just happened to be the same colour as the gamebit screws.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Birthday gets, Cidonalad managed to get me a Link Amiibo, exactly the one he wanted!
    I now own a Pebble smart watch, and its a nice thing indeed.
    Raising Steam from Terry Pratchett is in there too as well as Avenger underpants and a 2.5 tonne hydraulic jack for the car.... All good baby.
    Apparently Alien Isolation is incoming later for the PS4 as well.
    Which is nice.
    No retro stuff though :(

Master of the Universe

Happy Birthday to the Ciderman!

My gift to you is no age related jokes... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

Birthday gets, Cidonalad managed to get me a Link Amiibo, exactly the one he wanted!
    I now own a Pebble smart watch, and its a nice thing indeed.
    Raising Steam from Terry Pratchett is in there too as well as Avenger underpants and a 2.5 tonne hydraulic jack for the car.... All good baby.
    Apparently Alien Isolation is incoming later for the PS4 as well.
    Which is nice.
    No retro stuff though :(

Woooo Birthday friend :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

Happy Birthday!

and a 2.5 tonne hydraulic jack for the car

Always handy when you buy French......

/runs :D

Happy birthday dude :)

Happy birthday !!

Does your age still fit in a 8-bit integer (256) or have you moved into the 16-bit era :)

I'm more in the era of 3DO, bestest 32bit system ever, aside from the PS and the Saturn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Belated happy bidet CiDeRmAn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

missed that. same here. Joyppy Annibirthaire!

Think I might pick up Super Smash Bros for the 3DS, in preparation for the New 3DS next month.
    Which retailer presents the best value on new Ninty consoles?
    GS always seem to tack on a premium to their hardware prices, Argos can be competitive.
    We'll have to wait, GS might have an exclusive bundle that could be worth the cash.
    Majoras Mask please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

They just announced a special edition MM XL bundle. It's all shiny and gold. I might be coming around to the idea of these now, ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

They just announced a special edition MM XL bundle. It's all shiny and gold. I might be coming around to the idea of these now, ha.

I cheered when I saw the video! but then groaned a little when I saw the box art with "pre-installed software"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement