Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I picked up a few bits in CEX today, all for the PS2.
    Earache Heavy Metal Racing, never heard of it but supposed to be decent.
    Curious George, have a soft spot for the film.
    Tenchu Fatal Shadows as well
    Also, Wild Wild Racing.
    And all for about €7.80!

Not too bad.

Several other games in my arms were missing, a sequel to a late 90's rally game for the PC, Mobile 1 Rally Championship, Tetris Ultimate for the 3DS and a copy of Anarchy Reigns for the 360.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

can you use the circle pad pro with all games or just certain ones?

Just certain ones. The Monster Hunter titles and a Resident Evil are the ones I know of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Just certain ones. The Monster Hunter titles and a Resident Evil are the ones I know of.

It works as a throttle in the Galaxy Force 2 remake as well.
    Also in the twin stick shooter Nano Assault too.
    Metal Gear Solid 3D supports also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,808 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah no! I didn't even know it was on the Vita at all, I should have gotten that instead - dilemma, what do?
    Any differences?

The Vita version has extra DLC chapters that are really good and aren't on the Wii.

These aren't for me, they're being sent to a friend in the states but just love the big boxes. Hired Guns looks like it's never been opened. Also got him Turrican 1 and 2 and Paradroid 90.

LywabTel.jpg

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The Vita version has extra DLC chapters that are really good and aren't on the Wii.

These aren't for me, they're being sent to a friend in the states but just love the big boxes. Hired Guns looks like it's never been opened. Also got him Turrican 1 and 2 and Paradroid 90.

LywabTel.jpg

That sleepwalker art is amazing!
    Paradroid 90?
    I remember how great the original and the Speccy follow up Quazatron was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,808 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah it's a remake of Paradroid on amiga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

sugarman wrote: »
    Finally joined the club, was delighted to find an OLED model still in stock in Harvey Norman. Was a display model in a cabinet that was a little dusty but otherwise as new without a mark on it. It was part of a Killzone bundle but they couldnt find the game/8gb card so they threw in the indie games pack and gave it to me for a VERY reasonable knock down price:p

So, where to start!:D

Oh sweet, how much was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Surprised to find this one in GameStop. A little on the pricey side but happy to have physically found it.

98D3453A-F66B-4337-9472-B6E8AF13C250_zpsu0ce9u08.jpg

Surprised to find this one in GameStop. A little on the pricey side but happy to have physically found it.

98D3453A-F66B-4337-9472-B6E8AF13C250_zpsu0ce9u08.jpg

I had no idea that this had become rare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I had no idea that this had become rare!

I wouldn't say rare (You can pick it up new on Amazon for about €40) but definitely uncommon in the wild. I'd imagine it'll end up like captain rainbow on the Wii, kinda niche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

These aren't for me, they're being sent to a friend in the states but just love the big boxes. Hired Guns looks like it's never been opened.
    LywabTel.jpg

Man, played the life out of Sleep Walkers on PC back in the day. I can still remember the cheat code!
    Dingadingdangmydangalonglinglong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

My first visit to a CEX shop today

Where was that young Andrew?

Where was that young Andrew?

Town (as in Dublin). Never been in a pawn shop before. They had OOT 3DS for €30 but not much else. Actually, spotted a GC controller in the window for €20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

Hired Guns looks like it's never been opened.

LywabTel.jpg

My first visit to a CEX shop today

Plainly packaged parcel on the way out?
    No returns on most of those "appliances" ;)

Tomorrow should be Retron5 day for me!

And in true Ciderman style a week later will probably be Selling Retron5 day!

I say that before Steve or Andrew say it!

So, it arrived an hour ago, a still sealed Retron 5.
    It's after costing me €80 and a copy of Doom for the Snes, so I'm pretty pleased about that.
    It is the black model as well.
    The console itself is incredibly light, with four slots across the top for the SNES, MD, Famicom and Nes with the slot in the front for the GB family of carts.
    The controller is, unfortunately, rank, really poor, butbi haven't had any controllers with me so I testes my carts with the included controller and, while serviceable I won't be playing games with it at all.
    The games all seem to work fine, first up was an NTSC copy of Virtua Racing and it was perfect, next was a few SNES games, with Parodius from Europe and Super Mario RPG and Earthbound, the latter two both NTSC and with the ROM ship madness as provided by Myrrdin and Kerbdog in each. All worked just fine.
    Japanese copies of Gradius II and SMB3 worked without a hitch as did the GB games including Donkey Kong and Kirby and the Magic Mirror.
    Oddly enough, while the games all ripped to the internal memory very quickly, the GBA games tried were a lot slower, but I'm running early firmware, when updated it might improve.
    Visually things are as to be expected running older games via HDMI, and with settings on default it looks terrible, stretched across the screen.
    But set the screen to normal, turn on scanlines and things get much better.
    I haven't fiddled with over scan or frequency settings yet, and I'm leaving the other visual filters that followed from the PC well enough alone.
    Overall I quite like it though it's no replacement for original hardware.
    When tried with original controllers I'd say it'll be even better.
    Apparently it doesn't work with Ever drive carts, hardly surprising and not a problem, why both at all if you are going to use hardware and software emulation.
    Might was well just hook up the original controller to your PC instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

So sounds like using a Raspberry PI with a decent USB controller is just as good then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Might was well just hook up the original controller to your PC instead.

that's always been my stance on these gadgets.
    I just don't get it at all.

So sounds like using a Raspberry PI with a decent USB controller is just as good then ?

Yeah, probably.
    But its all quite smooth, it's nice to use original carts although the system for using save games is unusual, they are imported from the cart into the system memory and you have to export them back later, although I believe they persist in the system memory so you can do it at your convenience if you wish.
    I'm pretty happy with it, and next Beers y'all can have a bash, whenever that is!

• Advertisement

...I testes my carts with the included controller...

:eek:

Remind me never to buy anything second hand from you! :pac:

So the important question - does it come with an SD slot?

:eek:

Remind me never to buy anything second hand from you! :pac:

So the important question - does it come with an SD slot?

It does, but for firmware updating and storing save games.
    It does not host game ROMs of any kind.
    Which is nice!

No testes were harmed in the use of the Retron5.
    All testes were used under the conditions set by the Irish Humane Treatment of Testes Society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

that's some damn fine time travel there Sugarman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

got me a Japanese Vampire Killer cart, already got the EU one but this one's much much nicer looking ... and it went for "cheap" so ...
    I had to :)
    10996760_10153126932388276_7126343377047025084_n.jpg?oh=4e12e299aadbe97610dfc154f1c18ad1&oe=557EE5E7&__gda__=1434900610_e30978c9c6210748e8465316c4678baf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

That should be in the Premium Chat thread!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

zDBC6T7.jpg

Got myself a new addition today! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

LongZ wrote: »
    got me a Japanese Vampire Killer cart, already got the EU one but this one's much much nicer looking ... and it went for "cheap" so ...
    I had to :)
    10996760_10153126932388276_7126343377047025084_n.jpg?oh=4e12e299aadbe97610dfc154f1c18ad1&oe=557EE5E7&__gda__=1434900610_e30978c9c6210748e8465316c4678baf

At this stage you're going to need to buy a Mansion for your MSX collection!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

zDBC6T7.jpg

Got myself a new addition today! :)

Wow......eh what is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Some sort of gopher/whack-a-mole themed pinball machine?

• Advertisement

From the pictures on the front I'am guessing CaddyShack

lol, funny I done a search and its no good gofers... Caddyshack pinball got it though!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement