Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

On that subject 1 euro is equivalent to the dollar now, so buying ntsc + postage costs doesn't seem worth it anymore

Yep, wouldn't be bothered buying anything overseas at the minute.

I was thinking about buying Nightmare Busters on SNES last year when it was around €60, but their attitude was "we have no idea when/if you'll get it". Now that they have the stock in its €85

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

yeah, even buying japanese stuff is a no go unless you're somehow able to navigate the ebay.jp site.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Managed to pick up Virtua Cop for the PS2 for a fiver on EBay, via the estock store there.
    They're based in Guernsey and are very cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Tons if retro games at a monthly market in Amsterdam, couldn't go mad but saw Sniper 2 and I had to have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

On that subject 1 euro is equivalent to the dollar now, so buying ntsc + postage costs doesn't seem worth it anymore

The exchange rate is poor, but pound for pound buying US games is still a fair bit cheaper imo. The delusion surrounding retro games prices in Ireland/England is still at a high level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

ok first time hitting the car boot sales after a winter break and oh boy...
    €60 altogether. all working aside from the PSP (broken screen but I can fix it easily ). PS3 was sold as non working for €10 but a good dust off and new heat paste and it's singing again.
    Especially happy about the elite and Orion conspiracy big boxes and the PS3
    never had a ps3 so I can now play the uncharted series and last of us ...just need to find them :)

11137123_10153240706768276_3503398099360834678_n.jpg?oh=5e93974edf3e7df8b9352ab8e32c3902&oe=559B4C2A&__gda__=1436566430_02c741fac13a4cf16fdf2b2bcf365dd0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Nice haul for €60 !!!

yep. still can't believe it. monitor is a handy little one for testing too it's got VGA, scart, composite, aerial, audio out, hdmi and a dvd player included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Great find, well done !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Myrddin wrote: »
    The exchange rate is poor, but pound for pound buying US games is still a fair bit cheaper imo. The delusion surrounding retro games prices in Ireland/England is still at a high level.

The worst thing that has happened to buying from the US through Ebay is that global shipping program. It's always a gamble sourcing games and consoles from outside the EU, but to prepay a charge that you may or may not get caught for is madness. Shipping seems very expensive in contrast to items sent from Japan, the last few items I got from the US were rgb cables and shipping took thirty days for first class international. The seller that I've used a few times before makes great quality cables and they're worth the effort of getting them.

There's some great games that never made it out of Japan. There are a lot of reasonably priced games that are well worth playing, I get some stuff from a lad in Japan from his fb page. Shipping is very reasonable and it can be combined, the price he gives includes shipping. Some games can be more expensive sometimes but generally I find it cheaper than Ebay. He's also able to track items down if you ask, most of the stuff that doesn't sell through his page is listed on Ebay or on his webstore.

I think it would be good to have a thread of reliable shops that can be used to avoid paying the crazy prices as you said in your post, things seem to be getting more expensive every couple of months. I never really ordered many games from the US myself, but I'm sure a few of the regulars would have a fair bit of experience doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What market was that?
    The ones I visit have been terrible.

country monthly car boot sale nearish me.:P
    I avoid the weekly ones as it's usually the same stuff week after week, but the monthly ones have a good turnover. Takes a bit of traveling though and getting up early :)
    I don't go east past Athlone either as they just get picked early and the stuff lands on adverts.ie the next day

LongZ wrote: »
    country monthly car boot sale nearish me.:P
    I avoid the weekly ones as it's usually the same stuff week after week, but the monthly ones have a good turnover. Takes a bit of traveling though and getting up early :)
    I don't go east past Athlone either as they just get picked early and the stuff lands on adverts.ie the next day

Well worth getting up early for that lot. Great price on the ps3, honest seller, could have tried to pass it off as working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The worst thing that has happened to buying from the US through Ebay is that global shipping program. It's always a gamble sourcing games and consoles from outside the EU, but to prepay a charge that you may or may not get caught for is madness. Shipping seems very expensive in contrast to items sent from Japan, the last few items I got from the US were rgb cables and shipping took thirty days for first class international. The seller that I've used a few times before makes great quality cables and they're worth the effort of getting them.

There's some great games that never made it out of Japan. There are a lot of reasonably priced games that are well worth playing, I get some stuff from a lad in Japan from his fb page. Shipping is very reasonable and it can be combined, the price he gives includes shipping. Some games can be more expensive sometimes but generally I find it cheaper than Ebay. He's also able to track items down if you ask, most of the stuff that doesn't sell through his page is listed on Ebay or on his webstore.

I think it would be good to have a thread of reliable shops that can be used to avoid paying the crazy prices as you said in your post, things seem to be getting more expensive every couple of months. I never really ordered many games from the US myself, but I'm sure a few of the regulars would have a fair bit of experience doing this.

Definitely agree about the Global Shipping Program. It's soul destroying to be watching an item and it be within price range, only for the price to slightly rise and therefore bringing the 'customs' price up as well. For myself, I bought a lot from the US last year and tried to buy from sellers who used their own International Postage rates rather than the Global Shipping, but the few times I used it, it was only fantastically priced items I ever bought. Thankfully managed to get a lot of the stuff when the dollar was a lot weaker against the euro, it's not worth it now in a lot of cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Some more cheap Xbox originals

Picked this up too

Got this at the end of last week.
    Its going into my roadshow.
    Tried it in whitewater and its a seriously impressive piece of kit!
    IMG-20150409-WA0000.jpeg
    Ignore my socks!
    Heres a video of a regular Tommy pin vs an upgraded one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFGjgkb24q4&feature=player_embedded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Myrddin wrote: »
    Some more cheap Xbox originals

GBTG is surprisingly good.

Got this at the end of last week.
    Its going into my roadshow.
    Tried it in whitewater and its a seriously impressive piece of kit!
    IMG-20150409-WA0000.jpeg
    Ignore my socks!
    Heres a video of a regular Tommy pin vs an upgraded one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFGjgkb24q4&feature=player_embedded

Your putting the cat into a Roadshow? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

That cat looks so fluffy!

Picked this up in GameStop this morning. Not a bad price compared to Amazon etc. with current exchange rates

330C26FA-FD47-4A92-97F5-C8E9A6308746_zps7zgh9opd.jpg

That's a greatest hits of the two Nes Remix games on the eshop isn't it?
    I am hesitant about picking it up as I already have the first one.
    Does it add anything else to the package?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That's a greatest hits of the two Nes Remix games on the eshop isn't it?
    I am hesitant about picking it up as I already have the first one.
    Does it add anything else to the package?

Yeah it is. You get the championship mode from remix 2 and exclusive to the 3ds bundle you also can unlock famicom remix which is just famicom versions of the games.

That cat looks so fluffy!

mewbacca-420x585.jpg

mewbacca-420x585.jpg

I see the picture URL lists it as Mewbacca, inspired, get that kid a movie scripting deal pronto!

Last few PS1 games I got, Gradius Gaiden, Gekioh Shienryu and Internal Section. I'm really liking Internal Section, a fine effort from Squaresoft. I don't think I've played anything like it before, feels like Tempest meets Rez with a helping of Stun Runner on the side.

P1060500_zpscsjcgsyl.jpgP1060498_zpsiaaumpmo.jpgP1060497_zpskx0okrmc.jpg

Internal Section?
    I think I saw one of those when I was working as a student nurse in Sligo General.... very impressive!

Oh, and Gradius Gaiden is fantastic stuff, I have it myself.

I have a couple of versions of Shienryu, the PS version on the PS3 via PSN and the PS2 version Steel Dragon Ex, which sadly jettisons some of the interesting extras, if not all of them.

Last few PS1 games I got, Gradius Gaiden, Gekioh Shienryu and Internal Section. I'm really liking Internal Section, a fine effort from Squaresoft. I don't think I've played anything like it before, feels like Tempest meets Rez with a helping of Stun Runner on the side.

P1060500_zpscsjcgsyl.jpgP1060498_zpsiaaumpmo.jpgP1060497_zpskx0okrmc.jpg

The soundtrack is a little steep for IS,
    IS Soundtrack €108!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The soundtrack is a little steep for IS,
    IS Soundtrack €108!

108 euro for a soundtrack :eek: The game was only 15, came in under 60 for the three with delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

108 euro for a soundtrack :eek: The game was only 15, came in under 60 for the three with delivery.

Would the actual soundtrack be on the game disc anyways? :pac:

I know it worked on a few ps1 games if you put it into a cd player.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nope it's psf... which you can rip with a psf ripper :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Picked Dragon Crystal and Virtua Cop in PS2 on sale in Game Over in Amsterdam

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement