Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'd be more hooked if the game didn't keep dumping me out of games with a communication error :(

I had to get UPC to rest my horizons box a few weeks back for that very reason in MK8.

Thats if you are using UPC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,883 ✭✭✭Steve X2

safetyboy wrote: »
    I had to get UPC to rest my horizons box a few weeks back for that very reason in MK8.

Thats if you are using UPC

That horizon box is pretty rubbish as a router(don't even get me started on the TV side of it).
    If you complain to them a couple times and demand a separate router they might send one out for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Any UPC equipment I've had before has almost always been sub-standard. Their internet service is fantastic, but equipment is rubbish. TV boxes are either unfit for purpose spec wise, or else the software is incredibly unoptimised

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have an "interesting" arrangement with neighbouring family members involving fibre optic cable, long distance wireless and other gubbins.
    Also, lasers.

Oh, and on topic, I got Megaman X Collection for the PS2, good company for the Megaman Anniversary Collection on the same console.
    Must pick up Megaman Zero Collection for the DS now.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Any UPC equipment I've had before has almost always been sub-standard. Their internet service is fantastic, but equipment is rubbish. TV boxes are either unfit for purpose spec wise, or else the software is incredibly unoptimised

The amount of bloat on the horizon box just blows my mind.
    Im sure it would be better if they dropped the "fancy" :rolleyes: interface.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have an "interesting" arrangement with neighbouring family members

I thought it wasn't interesting any more? A person I know had an interesting arrangement too. I don't know if it is interesting any more though.

I would rather swim in a 100ft deep well of sewage (somewhere on the border between the Alps and Geneva) while having 'Eye Level' by The Simon park Orchestra piped down to me on continuous loop over a megaphone for 97 years than go back to UPC.

Their TV is a rip off and their Internet service, while offering superior speeds at first glance to Monopolycom, is utterly trousers.

The equipment is about as brilliant as an asthmatic ant carrying some heavy shopping only to arrive home to find his wife has left him and that instead of finding a note, there's a gas bill on the kitchen table.

It's painful to say I'd rather be with Monopolycom but... I'd rather be with Monopolycom.

And I am.

:)

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Their TV is a rip off and their Internet service, while offering superior speeds at first glance to Monopolycom, is utterly trousers.

I have to say, I've had really very little to complain about with UPC internet for quite a few years now. For me, & maybe it's area dependant, their internet service is by far the best internet service around. Their tv service, while inferior to Sky's, is vastly better value imo (though in saying that, I havn't had a tv sub in a few years as I don't watch tv that way anymore). Sky's HD price is ridiculous, compounded then by a whopping €15 per month per additional room means Sky tv in HD on more than one tv in the house ads up in cost significantly. I'll say this about Sky though, their tv equipment is light years ahead of UPC's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I haven't had a problem with the UPC broadband until recently. As of late it's been cutting out for around 30 seconds at random throughout the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I had to give up on UPC wi-fi in my house, Im up in the attic and the horizon box was in the living room, ****ty second router they gave us after multiple complaints in the kitchen. Wi-fi was absolutely dire even for people living downstairs. I ended up buying a big roll of RJ45 cable on Ebay and running it to the router, jumped to 45 mb/sec download instantly when I plugged in, dont think Ive lost connection once in months.

240Mb UPC pack here & it's consistently solid. The thoughts of going back to a DSL based service is utterly unappealing, particularly the 'eFibre' vdsl2 based offerings. Ftth will catch my attention, but until then, I'll remain firmly on cable.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    I had to give up on UPC wi-fi in my house, Im up in the attic and the horizon box was in the living room, ****ty second router they gave us after multiple complaints in the kitchen. Wi-fi was absolutely dire even for people living downstairs. I ended up buying a big roll of RJ45 cable on Ebay and running it to the router, jumped to 45 mb/sec download instantly when I plugged in, dont think Ive lost connection once in months.

wired > wireless, every time. I've got the house wired for cat5e here, because wireless is just so utterly poor (whether thats a UPC thing or not I don't know, but if I can avoid wireless I will at all costs). I see a lot of UPC customers complaining of the awful Horizon box alright

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was having awful lag in my house in Sligo, was blaming the connection in the country. Turned out it was just because I was using wireless. Got some house plugs and my friend asked to see my line stats and said it was one fo the most stable lines he has ever seen and now I've no problems with connection. Wireless is basically absolute ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

The Cisco EPC router UPC provive can only handle 50Mbits over WIFI regardless of the speed getting to the box.

I think people have had better success with the thompson router provided by UPC.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wireless is basically absolute ****e.

I came to the same conclusion myself, I just avoid it where possible.

wired > wireless, every time. I've got the house wired for cat5e here, because wireless is just so utterly poor (whether thats a UPC thing or not I don't know, but if I can avoid wireless I will at all costs). I see a lot of UPC customers complaining of the awful Horizon box alright
    UPCs hardware is a big part of the problem aswell though, their board on here used to be nothing but complaints about the horizon boxes with the reps playing dumb pretending they'd never heard of such a thing even though there were a dozen other threads with the same issue, sometimes when nobody could connect in the house I would plug my Oneplus in in the kitchen and make a wi-fi hotspot with the unlimited 3 broadband, perfect wi-fi from that for 3-4 people to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

In Arklow I'm getting a massive 1.5mb down over dsl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,225 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I was about to give out about the 15mb down I'm currently experiencing over my wifi... you poor chap!

Just watched the fallout 4 trailer,
    just bought a ps4 off a lad in work :)
    got a sweet deal

I just blew the guts of a months wages on a gaming laptop on the day Fallout 4 is announced. Back to the glorious Masterrace after 7 years in the Xbox wilderness :D
    XMG U705 17.3" ULTIMATE Gaming Notebook

http://mysn.co.uk/shop/xmg-u705-gaminglaptop.html

3lK94Jc.png

Display
    1 x 17.3" (43.9cm) Full-HD LG LP173WF4-SPD1 (1920*1080) Matte IPS £0.00

Graphics Card
    1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 8192MB GDDR5 with NVIDIA G-Sync £314.17
    Processor

1 x Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 | Quad Core | 8 Threads | 3.4 - 3.8GHz | TDP: 80 Watt £36.67

Memory
    1 x 16GB (2x8192) SO-DIMM DDR3 RAM 1866MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport £72.50

Hard Drive 1
    1 x 120GB SATA-III SSD Crucial BX100 (CT120BX100SSD1) £48.33

Hard Drive 2
    1 x 1000GB SATA-III 7200rpm HGST Travelstar 7K1000 (HTS721010A9E630) £49.17

Optical Drive
    1 x No External Optical Drive £0.00

WIFI Card
    1 x Qualcomm Atheros Killer Wireless-AC 1525 (with Bluetooth) £23.33
    Keyboard

1 x Backlit Keyboard UK £0.00
    Warranty

1 x Standard Warranty : 24 Month Collect & Return (inc parts, labour, support, shipping) £0.00

Operating System
    1 x No Operating System £0.00

Power Cable
    1 x UK Power Cable £0.00
    Nah actually wont say anything bad about my 360, bought it a few months afetr launch and it served our house all through college without complaint even though it runs so hot now I wouldn't leave it unattended. Played through pretty much every major game of the last generation and once I jtagged it and put in a terrabyte hdd it was my retro archive aswell for when the Game Chasers or AVGN etc mentioned something I wanted to see. Also with the ability to pirate Xbox live games it was a great party machine, many 24 hour sessions without complaint.

Easily one of the best consoles of all time imo, probably the only challenger to the PS2.

UPCs hardware is a big part of the problem aswell though, their board on here used to be nothing but complaints about the horizon boxes with the reps playing dumb pretending they'd never heard of such a thing even though there were a dozen other threads with the same issue, sometimes when nobody could connect in the house I would plug my Oneplus in in the kitchen and make a wi-fi hotspot with the unlimited 3 broadband, perfect wi-fi from that for 3-4 people to use.

Oh I'd agree, their hardware is rubbish. But for proper, hardwired internet, they're the best around currently. Horizon or the tv packages wouldn't appeal to me in any form....just give me a fast connection, a router, & some cat5e.

• Advertisement

I just blew the guts of a months wages on a gaming laptop on the day Fallout 4 is announced. Back to the glorious Masterrace after 7 years in the Xbox wilderness :D

Welcome back !
    but a laptop,for gaming!
    say goodbye to your manbits .

My PC,A core2 duo is still doing me well:eek:
    Altho apart from dying light and downloading torrents its not seeing much action.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Oh I'd agree, their hardware is rubbish. But for proper, hardwired internet, they're the best around currently. Horizon or the tv packages wouldn't appeal to me in any form....just give me a fast connection, a router, & some cat5e.

The fibre network the esb is going to provide is going to be far superior to whats currently available.

http://www.esb.ie/main/press/pr-4074.jsp

The fibre network the esb is going to provide is going to be far superior to whats currently available.

Indeed, true fibre to the home & not this dsl based efibre con. UPC will have some true competition at that stage, & the ESB is in a supreme position to offer it to anyone who's on the electricity grid!

Welcome back !
    but a laptop,for gaming!
    say goodbye to your manbits .

My PC,A core2 duo is still doing me well:eek:
    Altho apart from dying light and downloading torrents its not seeing much action.
    It was due to a 50/50 split in time between Galway/Dublin for the next year or two, forced my hand. Its a desktop CPU anyway, look at the spec, with HDMI and a wireless mouse and keyboard on my big tv Im seriously looking forward to some proper ultra graphics now, been compromising for too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

At least it's retro ;D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Correction. A got a free downgrade it seems. Now at 1.2mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

STG.Otaku wrote: »

Am I the only one who doesn't get this reference? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

That or Eircom FTTH :) whichever comes first!

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't get this reference? :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement