Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Not exactly a retro GET! but I did get a call last night to say if I wanted a ticket to the Ireland vs England match today.

So if anyone needs any seats, perhaps for an arcade setup, emergency chairs for a family Christmas or just for those special outdoor occasions, drop me a PM. :D :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Not exactly a retro GET! but I did get a call last night to say if I wanted a ticket to the Ireland vs England match today.

So if anyone needs any seats, perhaps for an arcade setup, emergency chairs for a family Christmas or just for those special outdoor occasions, drop me a PM. :D :pac:

Seats?
    What now?
    Obtuse Humour Alert!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Retr0 brought me back some Earthbound gashapon goodies <3

Was in smyths in limerick today and they had 7 meta knight amiibo's on the shelf if anyone was looking for one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wow, a lucky enough win on Ebay has netted me Bravely Default for €29.
    I've been watching out for it for some time so happy to get it for a decent price.
    It was one of the Tesco bargains last year wasn't it?
    Anyways, it's incoming, yet another fantastic game for the "must be played" pile, sub section 3DS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Picked to these today :) Nice Intellivision console and a Tandy CoCo 2

Tandy needs a bit of a clean up but should be grand after a scrub.

18464139239_94f8fe0799_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Battle-Arena-Toshinden.jpg

Always wanted to try these games out but never came across them out in the wild. Last week I listened to a podcast which focused on the game's music which I quite enjoyed so went onto adverts and got the attached. I understand they're not the best games in the world but they should be a bit of craic.
    The podcast for those interested is:
    http://www.vgmpire.com/2015/05/27/vgmpire-94-toshinden-tunes/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Actually found something at the local car boot sale! First time in ages.

A11B5D27-7E39-4748-803E-6BD1CEAC7267_zpsavdjjlks.jpg

€25 for the lot which is a bit rich for me at car boots (usually only want to pay €1 per game :P) but not bad overall. Spotted these at the first stall I was at and people were all over the guys stuff like a bad rash. I guess retro stuff is a hot commodity here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Nice pickups, where abouts are you anyway?

Nice pickups, where abouts are you anyway?

I'm in Dundrum, there does be a car boot sale nearby once a month during the summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Ah I thought you were off on holidays or something! Never seen mega cd games ib any car boot sales myself, let alone a nice haul of clean minty fresh games

Ah I thought you were off on holidays or something! Never seen mega cd games ib any car boot sales myself, let alone a nice haul of clean minty fresh games

Some sneaky Instagram editing makes them look mintier than they are :P

Bravely Default arrived yesterday.
    Wow, what a great looking game!
    Damn you random battles!

Quick trip to the CEXshop and Watch dogs for the WiiU is no more!
    Such a M'eh game and such a lousy conversion.
    So I picked up No More Heroes for the PS3, I already have it for the Wii and its insane but the PS3 version is supposed to be brilliant.
    Also picked up Legend of Kage 2 for the DS and one other game.
    A terrible game.
    But its my sons birthday coming up and, for some reason he wanted it, Knack for the PS4.
    On behalf of my family I am ashamed.
    With this game he has forgotten the face of his father :(
    I will try and thump some sense into him with the boy inkling amibo and some choice purchases on Steam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Legend of Kage 2 should be some consolation, at least. It's a really nifty game. The later bosses laugh at the trauma they inflict, but it is nifty.

Do I dare to hope I have been in some way redeemed for buying Knack?
    tumblr_lx1k2ij87c1qiagtuo1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Suppose on the karma scale it equals to having bought nothing at all....which is fine excuse for another poke around CeX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I wouldn't worry about it too much, if he's anything like his father he'll be trading it in next week.

*sees Ciderman and runs like the wind*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

Akishop parcel arrived!

352294.jpg

8 Sanwa OBSFS-30 silent arcade buttons and a Seimitsu LS-32(-01-SC-SE) joystick.

Now its time to finally mod that iCade core and best of all....

n0kj0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,883 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Cool :)
    It's a nice and simple mod, and really makes a huge difference to the experience.

I had to use some homemade plastic holders and a bit of Sugru to make sure the joystick was nice and secure inside the iCade. Buttons were handy enough, just a bit of Dremel work to make the slots bigger and then the Sanwa’s should slot in, make sure not to Dremel too much or the buttons will be too loose and wont lock in .
    Not sure how difference the iCade Core is from the full size one, but I’d imagine it’s more or less the same internals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Customs confuse me. I bought an extremely expensive famicom cart, came in a tiny packet and stung by customs. Then I buy a massive hulking MSX 2 and the thing arrives no bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Doge wrote: »
    ...8 Sanwa OBSFS-30 silent arcade buttons and a Seimitsu LS-32(-01-SC-SE) joystick.

Now its time to finally mod that iCade core and best of all....
    Nice!
    Steve X2 wrote: »
    It's a nice and simple mod, and really makes a huge difference to the experience.
    Haven't gotten round to doing mine yet, other than getting the iCade in it and getting it up and running. Would that joystick fit though? Or would it need the mounting plate removed first?

Rookie question, but what Dremel bit would you use to cut the plastic without just ending up with rough, lumpy melted plastic?

Steve X2 wrote: »

I had to use some homemade plastic holders and a bit of Sugru to make sure the joystick was nice and secure inside the iCade. Buttons were handy enough, just a bit of Dremel work to make the slots bigger and then the Sanwa’s should slot in, make sure not to Dremel too much or the buttons will be too loose and wont lock in .
    Not sure how difference the iCade Core is from the full size one, but I’d imagine it’s more or less the same internals.

I'm glad you did it first, otherwise i probably wouldn't even have an icade now!

I made a boo boo by buying the ls-32, i assumed there would be mounting screws in the same place as the icade or a Sanwa JLF 8YT but there isnt.

This is what the LS-32 looks like without the mounting plate:

Vi5yGHZ.jpg

So you can only use the Screw holes at the 4 corners which are much wider apart than the Icade's mounting holes.

Do you think it looks sugru-able at alll Steve?

I'm thinking of drilling 4 holes through the icade and buying matching screws in black that are non countersunk if i can source them on ebay,

I have to wait to for the correct crimps to arrive for the harness anyway so i wasnt going to get the joystick done today regardless.

Anyway heres what it looks like the new buttons and original joystick:

Byy1Hzb.jpg

Star Lord wrote: »
    Nice!

Haven't gotten round to doing mine yet, other than getting the iCade in it and getting it up and running. Would that joystick fit though? Or would it need the mounting plate removed first?

Rookie question, but what Dremel bit would you use to cut the plastic without just ending up with rough, lumpy melted plastic?

The mounting plate needs to be removed alright.
    I just used this pink grinding stone that came with my Lemel, my Lidl dremel. :p

41pNQzYGaGL._SY300_.jpg

It did the job,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Got an Atari 2600 Vader (the 4 switch one) plus controllers etc from a nice chap on adverts .Anyway when it turns up its boxed as well (which was a total suprise as it wasnt mentioned in the sale or pics)
    Delighted :)
    353021.jpg
    353022.jpg

Made in Ireland isn't it?
    Gorgeous, well done.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

yup they were indeed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

i can throw ya a few games if ya dont mind crappy labels dr. Bob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Got a couple of bits recently.
    First up a final fight board with a sound fault
    2qlcr52.jpg

Unfortunately it didn't travel too well and by the time I got it, this is all it done.

A quick jaunt in the dishwasher and I figured it was the graphic rom issue but they all burnt and verfied OK.
    Tried reading the program rom and it had very little data on it, replaced with an eeprom
    240yjbs.jpg

There is still a slight fault on the A board but I've a couple of them so I'll look at that a different time

Next up is a pair of wico leaf sticks for my long overdue Multiwilliams panel, now all I need is to source someone with a router to route out the buttons and sticks. Do people normally top mount or bottom mount their sticks?
    n33qbs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Good work.

What sort of cycle would you use for that? An eco wash?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement