Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Not sure how long it is, but I can say this, it's the last thing you think about once you find your feet in the game. It's a brilliantly weird little game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You're not a real collector unless you have an earthbound cart.

Well I have a Mother cart that thinks it's an Earthbound cart, not quite the same but close enough.
    Cidonalad has played a good bit of it but has become stuck.
    I have yet to play the Earthbound Zero thingy I bought on the WiiU, any day now, when that infernal spider is dead, then I'll have a go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,804 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well I have a Mother cart that thinks it's an Earthbound cart, not quite the same but close enough.
    Cidonalad has played a good bit of it but has become stuck.
    I have yet to play the Earthbound Zero thingy I bought on the WiiU, any day now, when that infernal spider is dead, then I'll have a go.

Ah I was only joking. I already got compared to PC gamer master racers for telling people to buy NTSC PS1 and N64 games because of 60 Hz on facebook this week so I've had enough elitism :P

Earthbound Zero is something you really have to be prepared for when going into it. It's very 80's RPG in that you need to grind like crazy to get anywhere. I gave it a go during the week and the first random battle I got into killed me. It's that kind of game. The last area of the game is pretty much broken in terms of difficulty and even Itoi admits it (he said they were so sick of the development process by the end that things like game balance were forgotten about). Still worth buying to show Nintendo there is interest and maybe, just maybe, we'll get Mother 3 out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,730 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I bought Dreamcast Resident Evil: Code Veronica, but the PAL version isn't VGA box compatible!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have the jap version if that, comes in a nifty burgundy sleeve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I bought Dreamcast Resident Evil: Code Veronica, but the PAL version isn't VGA box compatible!

Every DC game is VGA box compatible ;-)

What kind of VGA box do you have? there's a very simple trick to get all games to work with it.

MrVestek wrote: »
    Every DC game is VGA box compatible ;-)

What kind of VGA box do you have? there's a very simple trick to get all games to work with it.

Same VGA box as mine, I'll try that tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Same VGA box as mine, I'll try that tonight.

Same here, works any time I've ever tried it anyway.

I do it blind too without switching over the TV.

The Dreamcast tends to make a small beep when it's just read past the security sector on a disc.

Not sure why it does it as I've never heard any other disc drive doing it... but if you switch over just after it makes this beep then it should work fine.

MrVestek wrote: »
    Same here, works any time I've ever tried it anyway.

I do it blind too without switching over the TV.

The Dreamcast tends to make a small beep when it's just read past the security sector on a disc.

Not sure why it does it as I've never heard any other disc drive doing it... but if you switch over just after it makes this beep then it should work fine.

Tried it a few times there, won't switch.

I'll go back to the Rage & trade it for something else.
    Maybe look for NTSC and/or Resi 2 later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Couple of packages waiting for me at home.

3AF64F6C-AA95-4C8A-9F2E-2AFBD2B97D9C_zpsokquuvms.jpg

Have to love Japanese sellers. I love getting random little gifts like this

EA753E89-B5EF-4E28-85DB-0AEA1DEBDFC1_zps6ga0xe0l.jpg

Also not game related but I went a bit mad and bought one of these in Toronto. Hopefully some interesting apps come out for it soon.

2CFBB99B-A27F-4DE8-B9F4-492EB495D50E_zpsqvxjksnu.jpg

I did get a few games in Canada but not much because they're expensive. They're currently in my suitcase which is still en route from New York.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Myrddin wrote: »
    Not sure how long it is, but I can say this, it's the last thing you think about once you find your feet in the game. It's a brilliantly weird little game

Does it take long to find said feet? :)

Downloaded the game ages ago on Wii-U because of all the praise it gets here - walked about at the start, didn't know what to do and haven't gone back since. Actually, for you veteran players, what sort of game is it or would it be similar to any others? Rpg? Doesn't have random battles does it? As you can tell, I know next to nothing about it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Does it take long to find said feet? :)

Downloaded the game ages ago on Wii-U because of all the praise it gets here - walked about at the start, didn't know what to do and haven't gone back since. Actually, for you veteran players, what sort of game is it or would it be similar to any others? Rpg? Doesn't have random battles does it? As you can tell, I know next to nothing about it. :)

It doesnt take very long, I was a bit aimless myself at the start but once you eventually do get moving, you're grand. You won't get far in the game (at least I wouldn't) by just winging it, you have to read what characters are saying & focus on the story (which serves the enjoyment of the game too). It was my first ever RPG, hadn't played one before so knew nothing of the overall mechanics of the genre.

There are no 'random' battles in the traditional sense, all the enemies are visible, & it is possible to escape many of them. A tip though, don't. You need those battles to level up, & there's a great mechanic where if you approach the enemy unseen to it, you get a surprise attack on the battle screen (or if the enemy approaches you unseen, it gets a surprise attack).

Watch these videos, and skip past the spoilers section in the 16bit Gems one (I know you're not a fan of Roo but stick with the vid for the games sake), these are what eventually made me want to play it, and ultimately, to buy the damn cart :o

Earthbound: The Review
    Earthbound: A History

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Myrddin wrote: »

There are no 'random' battles in the traditional sense, all the enemies are visible, & it is possible to escape many of them. A tip though, don't. You need those battles to level up, & there's a great mechanic where if you approach the enemy unseen to it, you get a surprise attack on the battle screen (or if the enemy approaches you unseen, it gets a surprise attack).

Also has the loveliest mechanic ever, wherein if you're overpowered for a particular area, say through backtracking, the game will just skip the battle altogether and give you the experience points should you come into contact with any randomers.

Can't think of how many RPGs would have been a richer experience had they incorporated such a tidbit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,804 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Still find it banana's that some JRPGs still have random when games like Earthbound and Chrono Trigger got rid of them in the SNES era. While I think it's fine in some genres like dungeon crawlers it's kind of ridiculous in a Dragon Quest type JRPG these days.

Part of the reason I think Final Fantasy 12 is the best.

Part of the reason I think Final Fantasy 12 is the best.

I just despised the battle system in FFXII. Sit back, watch the game play itself, no tactical depth and then run in circles to gain MP back. Xenoblade was like FF12 done right and I'd love to see a HD remake of the zodiac job version to give it another chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

My gets from Canada. Just happy to get warlords tbh.

BD3C107C-5BAC-4A40-B293-C0F02D3EAB4A_zpsbuf8uta2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Last few bits to come in the letterbox, I decided to go with a recommendation from Retro and got Sailor Moon R on SFC. Finally got a copy of Monster World on ps2, the options and emulation are exceptionally good.

P1060751_zpsiseozqze.jpg

Elemental Gearbolt on PlayStation, and Astal on Saturn.

P1060745_zps2micptht.jpg

I was down in Arklow during the week and this was spotted in GS, now part of the family.

P1060744_zpscsbiyzna.jpg

Elemental Gearbolt, just watched Heavy Metal Jesus talk about it on his channel the other day, must pick it up.

Damn, I've bought nothing retro in the last while at all, starting to fell like a fraud moderating here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭keanebg1

My gets from Canada. Just happy to get warlords tbh.

BD3C107C-5BAC-4A40-B293-C0F02D3EAB4A_zpsbuf8uta2.jpg

Warlords is a fantastic game. I have the PAL version. Pretty sure at some point I had the NTSC one as well, and although the scroll lock is ok on it, colours are all messed up on a PAL console.

You'll need 3 friends next and a 2nd pair of paddles for the madness...

• Advertisement

We had that at a Beers in mine, 4 player madness indeed.
    I think we had the four paddle controllers too.
    Brilliant.

Just picked up Splashdown 2 for the PS2 after watching it played on Heavy Metal Jesus' youtube channel.
    Looks like a lot of fun and it was cheap as dirt.

Seems to be a lot of value out there in the extended PS2 catalogue of games, and given the breathtaking longevity of the format and the size of its games library you can never quite be finished collecting for it, or be sure you have seen everything of merit on the console.

Have a loan of this for a few months!
    Its actually quite a good game!
    The massive DMD is really nice too.

2015-07-05%25252017.10.41.jpg

Just about have the games room ready for games now too!

At any point in the gameplay does Mel Gibson's character blame the world's woes on Zionists?
    Just wondering.....

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    At any point in the gameplay does Mel Gibson's character blame the world's woes on Zionists?
    Just wondering.....

I also cant bring any Jewish people into the house without offending them :D

Sure, just throw on the Israeli bootleg of Missile Command, its the same as normal Missile Command but with a background of Jerusalem.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

No pics but picked up
    Cel Damage,
    Vewtiful Joe,
    Bloody roar primal rage and,
    (yess!) Eternal Darkness 1 on the game cube at the local chariddy shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

11243994_10153467297573276_2372263175452767684_o.jpg

"L'affaire..." was an old Point and click game by infogrames. hard as hell but I actually liked it. I had the disk, now I got the box back.
    The Game master was a cheat cart for konami games, offered different stuff like extra lives, weapons and skipping levels since the konami code never made it to the MSX. Interesting bit, the cheats were actually on the carts themselves and the game master just unlocked them.
    Road Fighter for NES, got that on ebay, to compare it to the MSX version which I love. I'll be doing an MSX Mansion episode on it and it's "sequel" F1 Spirit
    ...and donkey kong on the MSX, that artwork combined with the ocean logo brings back so many memories. I desperately wanted it when I was a kid and never saw it anywhere other than magazines... till now :D

Was the MSX big in Ireland?
    It was before my time.........almost.
    Hows the mame cab Longz?
    do any work with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Was the MSX big in Ireland?
    It was before my time.........almost.
    Hows the mame cab Longz?
    do any work with it?

Dunno dude, I'm French :D and my dad worked for Philips so we'd MSX and Videopac ... no CDi though, he was a wise man

cab's been good to me. Haven't done anything to other than play it :D
    The pc was fried so I have a mame machine running on a imac, works perfect :D
    Had a few friends over for a few evenings of arcade gaming.
    The trackball doesn't work anymore though, I need to fix it , although I'm thinking of replacing it for an arkanoid spinner

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement