Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS Solution Advice

Options
  • 24-06-2014 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

anyone with a NAS type setup at home or knowledge that could advise.

current setup / devices
    have a small htpc running xbmc on windows 7 in the front room.
    thats beside the UPC box so ethernet connected
    from the UPC box there is a powerline connection to the upstairs bedroom and a single ethernet cable to the attic (not connected yet) there is also power in the attic (or will be...)
    currently i have upstairs a medium-ish desktop with a bunch of HDDs acting as storage, control center, desktop etc
    i used to play steam games but not anymore so want to move away from big desktop
    i have a small home office here with a decent business laptop (supplied by workl so locked down in terms of what i can install) and i also have a windows 8.1 tablet

i plan to ditch the home office setup upstairs, offload the desktop etc and reclaim that room as a bedroom fully

i want to have some storage in the attic (2 bay NAS should do it?)

the question i have is how do i control all this and make it manageable?
    do i put another mini pc at the NAS, do i just buy a small server (noise?)
    is RDP viable for a small pc through the tablet / laptop?

basically i want to be able to download my (legal) torrents and nzbs and store them on the NAS for access by xbmc as needed
    i dont want to be climbing into the attic for reboots etc so reliability and remote acess is a factor.

anyone got a setup like this that they would recommend?

cheers!

Advertisement