Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Weller Kilmainham

Options
  • 24-06-2014 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I don't see another thread about the gig tonight and was just wondering if anyone knew what time I can expect the concert to start and finish at? It says gates open at 6.30. Tom Odell is the support act and I wouldn't mind catching some of his show.

Anyone that's been to any kilmainham gigs have an idea?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

http://www.mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=7019964&ar=paulweller&cat=all

Gates 18.30
    Tom Odell 19.15
    Paul Weller 20.45

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Music Scene Ireland
    Weller is here!

10426705_703847449672630_1533512244880666399_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Any reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

heading to elbow tonight. how was the gig sound etc. at weller? how was the bar?
    is there a bus ferrying people down the quays for these gigs?

Decent setup apart from the fact that the entry/exit feels narrow, bar facilities are grand, small enough crowd there last night though, not sure how well the venue will hold up to a bigger crowd and/or rain. Didn't see any shuttle buses going down the quays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

is there a bus ferrying people down the quays for these gigs?

Red line luas

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Roxy12

Anyone else at last night's Paul Weller gig and disappointed? I've seen him play a couple of times in the past and loved his gigs but last night was the biggest disappointment ever. He just didn't play so many of his old classics - the songs that made him famous in the first place and the reason he still sells records today. Fans like to hear the hits being played. Last night's gig was just so boring, just no atmosphere and his ego seemed more inflated than ever.

On a positive note, I thought the venue itself was great - easy to access and a nice and intimate size.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jeffm587

Deffo agree, didn't do enough of the better known songs that most people would have expected and the crowd never seemed to get in to it. I think he came back on for 3 possibly 4 encores that really weren't warranted and seemed manufactured . Very disappointing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

thought venue was great, v easy to get a drink and get to jacks and easy to get close enough to stage. very 'civilized' crowd! at entry point much longer lines for the ladies for bag search etc. Also would have preferred more hits from weller but overall he was solid imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

thought venue was great, v easy to get a drink and get to jacks and easy to get close enough to stage. very 'civilized' crowd! at entry point much longer lines for the ladies for bag search etc. Also would have preferred more hits from weller but overall he was solid imo

What were the drinks like price/selection wise ?

Heading to Biffy on Saturday so I need to prepare the wallet ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

aaabbbb wrote: »
    What were the drinks like price/selection wise ?

Heading to Biffy on Saturday so I need to prepare the wallet ;)

as usual drink selection was not great- heineken, wine , water. 6 euro a pint. red bull stand also

as usual drink selection was not great- heineken, wine , water. 6 euro a pint. red bull stand also

Dammit :(
    I hate beer so I always get screwed at these things !

Was there any cider or spirits at all !?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Dammit :(
    I hate beer so I always get screwed at these things !

Was there any cider or spirits at all !?

Buy two water bottles. Open one and empty it. Cut the other open to preserve the cap and ring seal. Fill with first bottle with gin and tonic. Screw preserved lid on.http://youtu.be/a-wXpQ4xY6w

I thought it was great, he is touring his "Modern Classics Part 2" album so by its nature, the gig was going to be less Stanley Road etc, and more of his newer stuff, that was apparent from the set lists from the last couple of weeks, which RHK was broadly consistent with.

Buy two water bottles. Open one and empty it. Cut the other open to preserve the cap and ring seal. Fill with first bottle with gin and tonic. Screw preserved lid on.http://youtu.be/a-wXpQ4xY6w

I already have some breast milk bags that I'm going to experiment with over the next day or so and see how they work :pac:

But this is definitely going to be a back up/additional plan :p

Also how mucky was it ?

It was dry for Weller but it's rained since then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I already have some breast milk bags that I'm going to experiment with over the next day or so and see how they work :pac:

But this is definitely going to be a back up/additional plan :p

Also how mucky was it ?

Ah, the good auld breast milk bags. Brings me back to Stone Roses gig 2 years ago. Got the bottle of wine. Filled 4 breast milk bags - 1 for under each armpit and 2 down the crotch. Strapped the armpit ones with cellotape wrapped around the arms and stuck the 2 others down the jocks - 1 front and 1 back. To be honest, the preparation was rushed and was a bit of a hatchet job, and I was ambitious with the quantity of bags.

Would have been fine, if could do it and just go straight to gig, but didn't take into account the 2 mile walk to the gig. Lost one of the arm ones due to leakage (make sure breast milk bag is sealed properly). I didn't take any chances with the second one, so I just took it of and drank it on route. Still had the 2 down the crotch.

In the queue to get in (frisking queue), could feel one of them slinking out of the side of the jocks (not tight enough). Kinda panic moment. Difficult to have a good feel around there with loads people around and security guys. Had to frantically keep shaking my leg until it eventually came out, but I was too far up the queue to pick it up and drink it i.e. about 2 foot from security. Got in with the one bag.

So overall, it can be an effective "getting booze into concert" mechanism, if one carries it out in a professional manner and not the amateur attempt that I did.

P.S. Good advice would be to wear the other half's knickers. Nice and tight and no slippage room.

Great gig though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The "beer belly" for the boys
    beer-belly.jpg

The "wine rack" for the girls
    the_winerack.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I enjoyed the gig for what it was. Thought the crowd were so lifeless though. Dunno if it was because of an age thing or what.

Ah, the good auld breast milk bags. Brings me back to Stone Roses gig 2 years ago. Got the bottle of wine. Filled 4 breast milk bags - 1 for under each armpit and 2 down the crotch. Strapped the armpit ones with cellotape wrapped around the arms and stuck the 2 others down the jocks - 1 front and 1 back. To be honest, the preparation was rushed and was a bit of a hatchet job, and I was ambitious with the quantity of bags.

Would have been fine, if could do it and just go straight to gig, but didn't take into account the 2 mile walk to the gig. Lost one of the arm ones due to leakage (make sure breast milk bag is sealed properly). I didn't take any chances with the second one, so I just took it of and drank it on route. Still had the 2 down the crotch.

In the queue to get in (frisking queue), could feel one of them slinking out of the side of the jocks (not tight enough). Kinda panic moment. Difficult to have a good feel around there with loads people around and security guys. Had to frantically keep shaking my leg until it eventually came out, but I was too far up the queue to pick it up and drink it i.e. about 2 foot from security. Got in with the one bag.

So overall, it can be an effective "getting booze into concert" mechanism, if one carries it out in a professional manner and not the amateur attempt that I did.

P.S. Good advice would be to wear the other half's knickers. Nice and tight and no slippage room.

Great gig though.

That sounds hilarious and reminds be of ducttaping a naggin to my leg for a debs years ago only to have it fall of mid search and smash everywhere on front of security :pac:

Thankfully this time I'm planning a bit more ahead and just putting the bags into the pockets of my bra that the padding goes in and wearing a baggy t-shirt/possible second bra 'cos it gives me fairly wonky looking squarely pointy madonna esque boobs :pac:

So far I've discovered I can fit a naggin in but I'm gonna see if some mixer can be squeezed in there too :p

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    The "beer belly" for the boys
    beer-belly.jpg

The "wine rack" for the girls
    the_winerack.jpg

I actually want this !!

I actually want this !!
    the are actual products you can buy. Just searching amazon I see "boobie bags"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smuggle-Your-Booze-Boobie-120ml/dp/B00CRFUBS2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403789546&sr=8-1&keywords=the+wine+rack

and extra sneaky tampon wrappers with shot tubes inside
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smuggle-Your-Booze-Tampon-Wrappers/dp/B00CRG27SI/ref=pd_sim_k_h_b_cs_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RJCZR6B57P7TPN47KB7

I just get a 500ml coke bottle, fill partially with vodka and squish slightly and cap it. This fits down the front of my trousers held with the belt and bouncers never pat properly there. Then just get cold mixers inside.

In Kilmainham a few years ago at a gig they had plastic bag type bottles of wine with caps which would have been reusable as "stash bottles"

rubadub wrote: »
    the are actual products you can buy. Just searching amazon I see "boobie bags"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smuggle-Your-Booze-Boobie-120ml/dp/B00CRFUBS2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403789546&sr=8-1&keywords=the+wine+rack

and extra sneaky tampon wrappers with shot tubes inside
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smuggle-Your-Booze-Tampon-Wrappers/dp/B00CRG27SI/ref=pd_sim_k_h_b_cs_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RJCZR6B57P7TPN47KB7

I just get a 500ml coke bottle, fill partially with vodka and squish slightly and cap it. This fits down the front of my trousers held with the belt and bouncers never pat properly there. Then just get cold mixers inside.

In Kilmainham a few years ago at a gig they had plastic bag type bottles of wine with caps which would have been reusable as "stash bottles"

Yeah I know I've seen them on Amazon/Ebay before but never think to buy them untill its too late to wait for shipping.

Was also considering the capri suns with the screw top lid but I cant find them anywhere :(

The email ticketmaster sent out said only 1 500ml sealed WATER bottle would be allowed in so I'll prob just end up bringing one of those emptying it out to store the bag contents and buying mixer in there

Was also considering the capri suns with the screw top lid but I cant find them anywhere :(
    €2 shops can have stuff like this, with drink in them already or just empty, they also do cheap hip flasks in some of the €2 type shops, but can be well over €2, just the same type of shop with cheap tat.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭skaface

That_Guy wrote: »
    I enjoyed the gig for what it was. Thought the crowd were so lifeless though. Dunno if it was because of an age thing or what.

The Mods aren't getting any younger !!!
    Same at the Madness and Specials gigs last few years, we're all getting a bit slower..

Advertisement