Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average salary of personal trainer and gym instructor?

• 24-06-2014 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭

What is the average salary of a personal trainer or a gym instructor in Ireland and what hours are gym instructors usually on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

Read somewhere recently that the average PT makes 12k a year and lives at home!

I imagine gym instructors make roughly minimum wage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

COH wrote: »
    I imagine gym instructors make roughly minimum wage

And they are the lucky ones getting paid.

Plenty of unpaid interns and job bridge internships.

The only millionaires in this business are the private education providers and a couple of chains.
    #sellingdreams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Not at all an expert in this area BUT hourly rates can be what €40+ whereas in the north most look at £20.

If you could charge €50 an hour - how many hours a week can you do?

Do you need to account for VAT?

Do you have rates and rent to account for?

As I see it as a PT things are finite in terms of your time and hourly rate. Where is the opportunity to scale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Not at all an expert in this area BUT hourly rates can be what €40+ whereas in the north most look at £20.

If you could charge €50 an hour - how many hours a week can you do?

Do you need to account for VAT?

Do you have rates and rent to account for?

As I see it as a PT things are finite in terms of your time and hourly rate. Where is the opportunity to scale?
    Fitness instructors = minimum wage or work for free

Personal trainers = €40-80 per hour then as mentioned the overheads which many never account for.

The €40-80 is far more than in Belfast just for the record.

• Advertisement

Which is more than it would be outside of Dublin also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Most gym instructors are on around 10 euro per hour in my experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

In fairness... As a low barrier to entry profession, high prices aren't justified unless you're exceptionally good.

Show me another industry where you can study for 6-12 weeks, invest €2,500-3,000 and walk out attempting to charge €60/hour.

Trainee accountants spend 3-4 years in college and start on about €9.50-10 per hour FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I was talking to an aspiring strength and conditioning coach and I threw out the idea of doing sessions at the sports club's location using basic equipment, sleds, barbells, plates etc. it'd be a mobile gym where u go to the client. Much more hassle but in return you have a much higher income per session.
    Would that be viable? Particularly in less densely populated areas where distance and the standards of facilities would still be an issue.

group sessions offer much high income per session NOT one to one sessions.

Getting started doing anything is easy but the fitness industry is a marathon NOT a sprint hence why the drop out rate is so high or why 90% of people that qualify to work in the industry either never used it or are not working in the field 2yrs later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Where is the opportunity to scale?

I guess if you can become a super-star trainer, you could write a book and tour around doing seminars. A more realistic scenario might be that if you can set up a decent private training facility you can start hiring other people to train your clients, but how many people get that far with their business?

Can I ask the people looking to become PTs, are you thinking about your long-term careers? What is the basic plan? What are you going to do once you start to get a bit older and flabbier?
    Transform wrote: »
    Getting started doing anything is easy but the fitness industry is a marathon NOT a sprint

Without going into too much specifics on anyone in particular, what does the typical career of someone who stays in the fitness industry long term look like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Without going into too much specifics on anyone in particular, what does the typical career of someone who stays in the fitness industry long term look like?

e0299dbf55c6ee3d9e42ed5cf2c8bc442986201b2dae26dd14214359a4911285.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

The €40-80 is far more than in Belfast just for the record.
    Most gym instructors are on around 10 euro per hour in my experience.

Advertised prices in some gyms are 10 to 15 and in others 50 to 60. The 50 euro ones wouldn't get much work so creating a business plan where you earn 48 hours per week at 60+ euro per hour cash into your hand is pure delusion. I cant imagine people not shopping around. You would want to be Arnie himself to get much more than minimum wage especially averaged out over a week.

I saw one PT outside of Dublin charging €40 per hour and she was busy and also not very good.

I also think doing 40 x 1 hour sessions per week is a lot more than 40 hours work. Unless they all get the same workout and diet - which has also been seen.

If you do it right you would not have clients crossing over as in leaving one whilst you walk another to the treadmill for a 10 minute warm-up whilst you finish up with client A etc. Therefore a 1 hour session would be 75-90 minutes in reality.

As was said or may have been said the best way to make money is classes or bootcamps where I have seen upto 100 people per class - some members, some drop-ins at £4-5 per class.

there are zero personal trainers out there working 40hrs per week, they might say they work 40-60hrs per week but actual contact time proper one to one with clients is more like 25-30hrs per week MAX imo.

Career for person that asked (for me) -

I started working in a commercial gym (age 20yrs approx - worked in other gyms for free before that but that was first paid work) for 8yrs getting paid mimimum wage (final salary was €19,000 per year as a fitness director) and got to the point where i was feeling sick going to work daily yet plastered on a happy face anyway

leave that job with ZERO clients to work with,

estabilsh myself pretty much without the help of the internetz but jumped in on it when it was time and benefited. Cycled to clients homes for the first year.

work my ass off training clients in parks, our house etc for a few more years, found a base in a local gym soon after, leave that gym for another gym with better facilities and coaches where i remain today

Went into business with my brother who worked his ass off to set up the biggest gym in kildare and is now 8,500sqft at 2.5yrs old. Oh and he interned with me for moooooonths before setting that up and he worked night shifts in a tiny hut as security outside a factory while getting qualified and interning, easy really ;)

Kids these days in many industries want the success before the work and the only time that happens is in the fuc@ing dictionary,

toughen up kids because people like me are prepared to working harder, longer, smarter and are more determined than you are so either jump in and see if you can swim or leave it to the pros.

sorry ya'll but he asked and its the reality

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seanfitness

Incorrect. Most gyms hire personal trainers for completely unpaid work in lieu of rent and those personal trainers are then expected to go and get their own private clients but these personal trainers are often used in place of cleaners for free labour because most gym owners don't want to pay for that service. Personal trainers in gyms can often be seen being worked to the bone. Qualified personal trainers to pay over €3,000 to become qualified then get delegated to scrubbing toilets mopping floors hoovering and picking up dirt after People. It's no wonder that 70% of personal trainers in the industry drop out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You’re replying to a post from 8 years ago.

Also nothing in your post really makes anything in his post untrue.

Advertisement