Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International student - need a PPS to rent accommodation?

Options
  • 24-06-2014 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

A friend of mine recently arrived in Ireland from America to do a 1 year master's degree in Trinity. After looking at a lot of apartments for potential accommodation we were told by one landlord that she needs a PPS number in order to rent property. However, the PPS section of the department of social protection website lists a permanent address in Ireland as a requirement for getting a PPS number, which seems like a catch-22 scenario. Even more confusingly, Trinity seems to think a newly arrived student will acquire a PPS *after* getting a permanent address.

We're making enquiries to try and get this resolved, but I wanted to know if anyone else has been in this scenario? How did you sort it out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You cannot get a PPS until you have an address, but it does not need to be permanent.

Where's she staying now? Many back-packer hostels will write a "XXX lives here" letter after you have paid up a certain number of weeks with them. Or if she's staying with friends, get them to write her a letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭joostl

You cannot get a PPS until you have an address, but it does not need to be permanent.

Where's she staying now? Many back-packer hostels will write a "XXX lives here" letter after you have paid up a certain number of weeks with them. Or if she's staying with friends, get them to write her a letter.

They can leave the pps section on the prtb application blank

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

A friend of mine recently arrived in Ireland from America to do a 1 year master's degree in Trinity. After looking at a lot of apartments for potential accommodation we were told by one landlord that she needs a PPS number in order to rent property. However, the PPS section of the department of social protection website lists a permanent address in Ireland as a requirement for getting a PPS number, which seems like a catch-22 scenario. Even more confusingly, Trinity seems to think a newly arrived student will acquire a PPS *after* getting a permanent address.

We're making enquiries to try and get this resolved, but I wanted to know if anyone else has been in this scenario? How did you sort it out?

You do not need a PPS to rentr accommodation. When completing the form for PRTB the landlord can leave it blank and explain why no PPS is available

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dede12

I did an MA in Ireland last year as an American student & you definitely don't need a PPS number to rent. The only thing an American student would need it for is to work here legally (but its fairly hard to get a job as an international student, especially since you can only do 20hr/week at most). It is possible the landlord just didnt want to rent to a foreign student & used it as an excuse, unfortunately you'll find that does happen.

You dont need a PPS number to open a bank account either (at least at Bank of Ireland you dont, idk about the others) so if he's having trouble finding places that will take a cash rent it would be a good idea to get one set up. That way he can prove his financial stability & can offer to pay the rent via bank transfer which might reassure some landlords who aren't used to renting to foreign students.

Edit: Just wanted to clarify, yes you can apply for a PPS number if you want it after setting up your permanent address (a hostel won't count unfortunately) & registering as an immigrant w/ the Garda but it's not automatically granted (& you can't get a PPS number until you're registered). I lived for 2 years in Ireland, rented 3 different apartments, & never got one because as a student you don't need it unless you get a job.

Advertisement