Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I set up a new AIB account with weekly payments?

Options
  • 24-06-2014 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

When I try to open a savings account online (I have a current acct) it only gives me an option to set up a monthly standing order. Would I be able to immediately edit/cancel that and have it go in weekly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

You probably don't want to do that. AIB fees are charged per-transaction (currently 20c). So that's an extra 60c per month, or €5 a year.

Having said that, if you really want to do it, you can manage your standing orders using internet banking. Opening a savings account automatically sets up a monthly standing order, but you can delete that and set up a weekly one instead

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Surely you don't mean I have to pay 20c for every transaction from one of my AIB accounts to the other?

Intifada wrote: »
    Surely you don't mean I have to pay 20c for every transaction from one of my AIB accounts to the other?
    As far as I know, there's no exemption for transfers to your own accounts. Could be wrong though.

EDIT: I am wrong. See post #8

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭OU812

AIB charge for everything. It's why we left them for the altogether better service & far less expensive ulster bank - only €4 a month irrespective of transactions.

Nearly every transaction we have is weekly and it still only costs €4

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

That is insane... charged for making a tiny update on their database while they use my money.

Under the mattress with the savings I think. Scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Sorry for jumping on this thread but its fairly similar to what i'm looking for. I'm fairly naive/inexperienced with saving accounts and banking in general as I never really had to worry about it before. Thinking of setting up a savings account with AIB as I already have an account with them. Would ye recommend them or should I shop around a bit? Are they competitive interest wise? I would be happy to set up a monthly standing order and staying with AIB would probably mean less paperwork?

OU812 wrote: »
    AIB charge for everything. It's why we left them for the altogether better service & far less expensive ulster bank - only €4 a month irrespective of transactions.

Nearly every transaction we have is weekly and it still only costs €4
    I've rechecked my fee advices, I was wrong. They don't charge for internal transfers. I have two standing orders, one to my AIB savings account, one to a BOI account. I'm only charged transaction fees for the BOI one.

Also, my fees average out at around €15 per quarter, so not much more expensive than Ulster Bank.
    dcrosskid wrote: »
    Sorry for jumping on this thread but its fairly similar to what i'm looking for. I'm fairly naive/inexperienced with saving accounts and banking in general as I never really had to worry about it before. Thinking of setting up a savings account with AIB as I already have an account with them. Would ye recommend them or should I shop around a bit? Are they competitive interest wise? I would be happy to set up a monthly standing order and staying with AIB would probably mean less paperwork?
    There's a good comparison of regular savings accounts here. KBC, Nationwide and PTSB have better interest rates. Nationwide only allow two withdrawals a year, and PTSB needs 21 days notice. KBC at 3.5% is probably the best option, not sure what their online service is like though. AIB's is very easy to get set-up on, I opened my savings account, made my first lodgment and set up a monthly standing order in the space of 5 minutes, all online. Interest rate isn't great though, only 2.25%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭OU812

28064212 wrote: »

Also, my fees average out at around €15 per quarter, so not much more expensive than Ulster Bank.

My fees come out monthly on one account (don't even notice it) & on the other there's no fees because there's more than €1,500 moving through the account

Advertisement