Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Focus on Irish Games Developers - Gone Gaming

• 24-06-2014 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

We're back with another Irish games development company which involves our own DeVore. Gone Gaming started in 2012 and last year produced their first game "The Jump" on mobile platforms.

They are currently hard at work on their next title, but I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to talk about that, so I'll leave it to Tom or Karl to share what they can.

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hello I'm Tom!

I am, coincidentally, one of the people who founded Boards but right now I work for my own company called Gone Gaming.

We make mobile games!

Where to start with our story... um... Well, I went on a big holiday to Asia and on the trip I realised I was bored not being in work. Since I had the unusual chance to do whatever I wanted, I decided I wanted to make a games design company because I'm a HUGE gamer. I mean, I played Pong in the arcades and have played games ever since.

I designed our logo on my iPad on the way home in the plane. :)
    logo.png
    (its been cleaned up since then, but pretty much the same basic shape.)

Came home, contacted a good friend Karl who I know is super smart and works crazy hard and lets face it if you are going to get into business with someone, those are good traits :)
    He also has a qualification in game design, so that helps!

Then I went to talk to my folks because contrary to popular belief I am not rolling in money from the sale of Boards! They agreed to stump up 5k as did my travel partner from the Asia trip, and I put my last 5k into the startup. We got Enterprise Ireland to match that for a marketing spend and went to work!

The support from EI was key to us getting anywhere but 30k wont make you a game if you want to hit the big time, especially if you are starting from a standing start. It might work if you are solo coder and you can keep your costs down (live with your parents!!!)... but for a serious company, 30k is a few months payroll.

Along side the market research and design we were doing, we also applied for the CSF, the Competitive Startup Fund. Its a grant that EI does every now and then and they happened to be doing one for gaming at that time. Its competitive in that you apply and out of all the applications 15 companies are chosen to receive 50K for 10% share in the company.

Its kinda like Dragons Den but with the government as the Dragons. :)

We fought hard for that through several rounds (and I wore a particularly snazzy suit) and we got grant aided!

So now we had a bank roll of about 90k which was enough to make a half decent game.... I'll continue the story in a while :)

Chuck questions at me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

What language do ya write your games in?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Speaking of funding I want to give a shout out to the BitSmith guys from the last Q&A.... you can kick start their next game here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bitsmithgames/franknjohn

I've already kicked it and played and I honestly don't know how they manage to produce such decent games on the budgets they get. Someone is eating a lot of baked beans and fish fingers I think.

Good luck guys!

MagicIRL wrote: »
    What language do ya write your games in?
    We develop for iOs and Android so the obvious choice for us is Unity 3d.

I am extremely sceptical about such cross platform engines/languages but I have to say, it really does the job. We compile and rough-test on Windows Standalone first... then we build to Android and test on mobile that way. Then we finally build to iOs and give it a last ditch test to make sure nothing is broken by the recompile.

So far that's worked really well for us and if you are serious about games dev, I think you need Unity in your suite of tools.

btw, we have a partnership with a coding company in Sweden who do a lot of the heavy coding for us. Karl does the game design and general project management and I look after company affairs, financing, payroll etc. I also do a lot of the technical architecture (like server configs and hosting etc) just because I know some of that from Boards days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Great post. I'm really enjoying reading these and the questions and answers.

I'll be heading into my 4th and final year of Software Design (Game Development) over in Athlone Institute of Technology in September. Currently keeping myself busy by staying on with my work placement company working with c# and Windows Forms.

I find I enjoy the C# Winforms work more than I ever did doing game development as part of my course...not sure if that's due to doing actual work or because it's just not for me yet. Have not failed anything over the years but I've come very close at times. This year was close with Game Development (Unity based using their version of Javascript) and the previous year Game Development again (Python using pygame).

I can't say I'm enjoying my course as I find aspects of it dated, but I'll see it out all the same. I don't see myself getting a job as a game developer at the minute, more a software developer...would really love to stick as a C# .Net developer since it's what I'm good at over the last year or so.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Really enjoying the focus posts so thanks for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Hey Dev, can you go into more detail about your experience with enterprise ireland? I assume it went so well with them because of your business experience and seemingly the money you were bringing to the table meant they took you seriously.

Did you just ring them up directly?

Game development specific: what was the biggest lesson learned from your first release?

Hey Dev, can you go into more detail about your experience with enterprise ireland? I assume it went so well with them because of your business experience and seemingly the money you were bringing to the table meant they took you seriously.

Did you just ring them up directly?

Game development specific: what was the biggest lesson learned from your first release?
    Enterprise Ireland used to be a nightmare to deal with but things have improved greatly in recent years. They were responsive, interested and supportive. The barrow-loads of red-tape are gone and the reports you have to fill out are a lot more streamlined than before.

There isn't any magic route to getting EI support. We walked in and ask to be assigned a Development Assistant (DA) who is basically your single point of contact with EI and handles any queries or grants/requests you make. Our DA is a lady by the name of Linda Coyle who has been our DA since the start. She represents us inside EI (along with a lot of other companies!).

Your DA should guide you towards any grants you qualify for and basically advise you how best to get support from the government. It was Linda who brought the Competitive Start Fund to our attention for example.

Most of their funding is "matching funds" which means you need to have 50% of the total request yourself. ie: we got 15K in marketing funds but we had to match it with 15k ourselves. If we only had 10K then they would only have given us 10k . (15k is the max for that grant btw).

CSF is different. If they like the company enough, then they buy 10% of the shares of the company for 50k. That's the deal, take it or leave it.
    You compete with lots of companies for that investment. That's where you're own experience and the experience of the team shine through. They are NOT interested in how cool your game idea is. The are more interested in how experienced your team is in terms of management and marketing and financing etc.

The biggest lesson from our last release: woah... hard to quantify. I look back on us back then and think "what a bunch of amateurs" :):)
    We've learned so much its crazy. The biggest lesson is probably that launch is everything. The first week, in fact the first 4 days, are absolutely crucial. We fluffed our launch a little and it really hurt us.

The biggest piece of advice I would give anyone starting out is: make your second game the big shot... you'll do so many things wrong with the first one you wont believe it :)
    Seriously... if you want to learn about game design then design and build a game, anything, Pong will do. Make it and release it. You'll be amazed how much you learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Really appreciate that!

Sorry I just thought of another one and then I'll leave it at that, I've asked it on the bitsmith thread but you might be more qualified:

What is the state of mobile gaming from a developers perspective? Is it just a fad as people buy up all this interesting tech and then they realise it's better to game on devices built for it?

Do you target the smaller smartphones? For me, I'm testing my prototype on the smallest phone, to see if core mechanics will work on it and am limiting the scope based off this. But surely for a mobile gaming Company, it must be difficult to attempt to target these small devices while giving rewarding gameplay on them and ALSO the same gameplay on much larger devices.

That's totally cheatin' ... that's like 6 questions in there. :)

Mobile gaming is here to stay but mobile games designers need to understand the platform they are designing for and the situations their games will be played in. The days of trying to shovel over some sort of port from a hit console game are long over. Touch is a very different interface system and the game session length is tiny compared to consoles.

Our first game was played on over 2,200 different device types!! The Android market is crazy fragmented.
    Right now we are targeting only the top end devices. Large screen phones and tablets mostly. That's mainly because they have the grunt to render the sort of games we want to make now. Samsung are destroying everyone in that regard.

You're approach is good if you are going to target the small phones too. We test on S4's and HTC Ones and presume that the tablet experience is fine. (we tweak a bit for iPads cos they are weirdly shaped :) )

Ask as many questions as you like btw... wont bother me, im happy to answer! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

DeVore wrote: »
    That's totally cheatin' ... that's like 6 questions in there. :)

Mobile gaming is here to stay but mobile games designers need to understand the platform they are designing for and the situations their games will be played in. The days of trying to shovel over some sort of port from a hit console game are long over. Touch is a very different interface system and the game session length is tiny compared to consoles.

Our first game was played on over 2,200 different device types!! The Android market is crazy fragmented.
    Right now we are targeting only the top end devices. Large screen phones and tablets mostly. That's mainly because they have the grunt to render the sort of games we want to make now. Samsung are destroying everyone in that regard.

You're approach is good if you are going to target the small phones too. We test on S4's and HTC Ones and presume that the tablet experience is fine. (we tweak a bit for iPads cos they are weirdly shaped :) )

Ask as many questions as you like btw... wont bother me, im happy to answer! :)

Hey Tom,

Just on this point, have you done much research into the types of phones you want to target? Like what percentage of people have a S4 or better?

Do you have an idea what your minimum target phone would be? For example it needs to run on an S3, not too worried about it running on S2.

I was a beta tester of "The Jump" and remember having issues with the phone I had at the time, the Xperia Ray which would not have been considered a bad phone at the time, it still hurts :pac:

The Jump's concept/game play was not something that needed a huge amount of horse power, but presumably it was the graphics that made it need the extra grunt. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts of the importance of graphics at the expense of load times, battery drain and potential audience (people with lower end phones)

Any plans to target micro consoles with the next game? (Ouya, Amazon Kindle Fire Tv)

(Lots of questions, sorry!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

How do feel about the current state of mobile gaming? Specifically, the costs of games versus the cost of micro transactions. How does a developer find the right balance between the price of a game, and the cost micro transactions? It just seems like a huge amount of potentially great mobile games are absolutely crippled with microtransaction costs.

I've not had a chance to try The Jump yet, but will definitely give it a go later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Hey and thanks for taking time to answer some questions :)

I consider myself a student of game dev. Maybe I never will want to leave that label :D
    And I am aiming for the pc platform and 3D mostly.
    But I was curious what you think of the mobile market now that it has had a little time to settle.
    I consider the ease of making a 2d 5-20min run time game, as one reason the mobile market might be over saturated.
    This is also considering the changes for indie groups with the release of more and more software with acceptable user licences (well, we can argue on acceptable lol) and much more independance in general.

Mobile has it's own pitfalls with development I know. I am more curious how you see the mobile market now, compared to pc gaming.
    If you consider a game like FTL for example. I doubt it's on mobile (it isn't too advanced for mobile anyway). But had a large success on pc as a simple 2d game with awesome mechanics.
    Or maybe I mean it was very popular! I actually haven't checked how much they made ^^

Anyway.. I've been to a couple of conferences/events with talks on the industry in Ireland. I didn't really agree with a lot of it to be honest.
    I keep hearing mobile mobile mobile. PC is dead and 3d is too much work. In a general sense I mean and sometimes literally.
    I agree that 3d can be more time consuming, but completely dissagree with the idea that everyone should abandon it because it's difficult and mobile in the future will be all.
    It may well be, when VR is portable. Until then I believe there will always be more non portable but much more powerfull devices for art of expression and game experiences.

When I keephearing at these talks about mobile beign the future and that pc and maybe even console fading out.
    What that translates to me is, everyone is doing mobile, pc is open for business.

What do you think?
    Is there still as much room for everyone on mobile, despite the limits of the platform and the amount of developers now?

Do you think it is going to get exponentially more difficult as competition rises and more and more people release content on mobile, with much faster development times.

Last question..
    Do you find yourself ever frustrated over the limits of the control systems you can create for your mobile games?
    This is possibly one of the main reasons I still want to use the PC platform.

Sorry if this is too much text or the question maybe unsuitable to answer...
    But hey, we can only ask :D

Oh bonus question! Possibly the most important one :D
    What games do you enjoy playing? And what platform do you use the most when gaming?

Hey Tom,

Just on this point, have you done much research into the types of phones you want to target? Like what percentage of people have a S4 or better?

Do you have an idea what your minimum target phone would be? For example it needs to run on an S3, not too worried about it running on S2.

I don't need to do research.... I have access to the mobile stats for Boards and Adverts which are two of the largest websites in the Republic :)
    They have millions of unique users so I have a pretty clear idea of how many of each handset are being used :)

That data is highly valuable but suffice it to say that Android beats Apple about 4:1 (yep, that high) and Samsung owns about half the Android market roughly.

I was a beta tester of "The Jump" and remember having issues with the phone I had at the time, the Xperia Ray which would not have been considered a bad phone at the time, it still hurts :pac:

The Jump's concept/game play was not something that needed a huge amount of horse power, but presumably it was the graphics that made it need the extra grunt. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts of the importance of graphics at the expense of load times, battery drain and potential audience (people with lower end phones)

My own opinion is that I still think games like Chaos: Battle of Wizards has some great gameplay! I would play games in green and black monochrome (and did... I logged hundreds of hours on Nethack on a pdp11 :) ).

But the market wants graphics. High end graphics. Glorious 3d whizzbang graphics. And the big houses want to give them to them because it differentiates themselves from the indies who cant afford it.

Its quite like the film industry. The best films are often indie-made Cannes films but the big blockbusters everyone goes to see are the special effects extravaganzas.
    Any plans to target micro consoles with the next game? (Ouya, Amazon Kindle Fire Tv)

(Lots of questions, sorry!)

I would love to target Ouya and maybe Steam Box but I know nothing about publishing to them and right now we are mobile focused.

Kiith wrote: »
    How do feel about the current state of mobile gaming? Specifically, the costs of games versus the cost of micro transactions. How does a developer find the right balance between the price of a game, and the cost micro transactions? It just seems like a huge amount of potentially great mobile games are absolutely crippled with microtransaction costs.

I've not had a chance to try The Jump yet, but will definitely give it a go later.

I freakin' hate In-App Purchases (IAPs).... but they are a fact of life in the industry. The public seem to prefer them and they make more money long term for the developer if they have a hit and keep releasing content.

What I dislike about them is the way they are used (badly) by a lot of the big houses. Things like energy-mechanics and hassle-your-friends-to-proceed walls are just dumb. Anything that stops the player playing is ruled out by us now.

I think if people love your game, you can monetise them better by getting them to WANT to give you money.
    Team Fortress is a good example of that on PC. Angry Birds Go is a bad example of it on mobile.

Torakx wrote: »
    Hey and thanks for taking time to answer some questions :)

But I was curious what you think of the mobile market now that it has had a little time to settle.
    I consider the ease of making a 2d 5-20min run time game, as one reason the mobile market might be over saturated.
    This is also considering the changes for indie groups with the release of more and more software with acceptable user licences (well, we can argue on acceptable lol) and much more independance in general.

It is reasonably easy to make a straightforward game these days and yes the market is now fairly saturated... and unfortunately with a lot of crap. Bad games and endless rip offs of the last successful thing.

The move now is to bigger budget games as the big boys try to differentiate themselves and throw money at the problem.

There will always be the Mojangs/Flappybirds but there will emerge the EA's and Ubisofts. The publishers of top end mobile games, not developers per se.

Its going to get tougher for indies to rise above the noise and so they will turn to the publishers for marketing power and funding. This is already happening and has happened with us... but more of that in the Next Thrilling Installment of our story :)
    Mobile has it's own pitfalls with development I know. I am more curious how you see the mobile market now, compared to pc gaming.
    If you consider a game like FTL for example. I doubt it's on mobile (it isn't too advanced for mobile anyway). But had a large success on pc as a simple 2d game with awesome mechanics.
    Or maybe I mean it was very popular! I actually haven't checked how much they made ^^

FTL recently released on mobile. I think it would have died on its ass on mobile initially though. Its mostly riding on its reputation from PC I feel.

There will always be room for the super clever game idea on mobile. Something like 3's or Dots etc. But they will be proportionally rare from the pov of how many indies actually make one.

Anyway.. I've been to a couple of conferences/events with talks on the industry in Ireland. I didn't really agree with a lot of it to be honest.
    I keep hearing mobile mobile mobile. PC is dead and 3d is too much work. In a general sense I mean and sometimes literally.
    I agree that 3d can be more time consuming, but completely dissagree with the idea that everyone should abandon it because it's difficult and mobile in the future will be all.

We only work in 3d on Mobile. anything else looks sooooo 2011. :)

Consequently the costs for developing mobile games are rocketing. 1M wouldn't be a particularly large budget for a AAA mobile title now. In fact it would be kinda small.
    What do you think?
    Is there still as much room for everyone on mobile, despite the limits of the
    platform and the amount of developers now?

PC will always be there for the harder core markets. Before PC had everything, then consoles really kicked in and PC shrunk a bit. Now there are mobiles and everything shrinks a bit more. But PC's aren't going anywhere.

Two of the problems though is price and piracy. Console games still run to 60-70 euro. They are very hard to pirate too. While PC games are being forced down in price by services like Steam with their sales and back catalogues of decent-if-older games. So a new release on PC is often 49.95 and drops to 20s pretty sharply.
    Last question..
    Do you find yourself ever frustrated over the limits of the control systems you can create for your mobile games?
    This is possibly one of the main reasons I still want to use the PC platform.

I'm frustrated by how apparently THICK most of the human race appears to be. We have to dumb down everything for the general public. We've had loads of instances of game play where we wanted to use some cool touch interface or awesome gameplay mechanic that needs lots of practise / skill to pull off .... but no, people are thick and wont get it and will get frustrated and stop playing. GGRRRRRRR

PC games are a lot harder core that way. The gamers are there to game and be challenged. Not to pass time and have a nice fun experience. :)

So no, I don't feel limited by the interface, but I do by the audience sometimes. If you want to be mass market, you have to appease the lowest common denominator.
    Oh bonus question! Possibly the most important one :D
    What games do you enjoy playing? And what platform do you use the most when gaming?

I like lots of different kinds of games. On mobile I like tower defence and puzzle stuff. But mostly I play on PC and love BF4, Xcom, Natural Selection 2 and also some indie stuff and some fantasy RPG stuff (Single player and MMO).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Are you happy with how the Jump did as a commercial venture,

And for the next game what would you consider 'success'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

DeVore wrote: »
    btw, we have a partnership with a coding company in Sweden who do a lot of the heavy coding for us.

Just wondering why Swedish developers were used for this when the grants were from Enterprise Ireland who are about developing businesses and employment in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Well really investors are about making money. That's capitalism for ya.
    And why I wouldn't even consider Ireland as a source of support for the type of game I am making.
    It's not about Irish businesses creating jobs, it's about supporting the most likely candidate to make them money. Excuse me all for my cyncial view of business lol
    Iunderstand logically it's more helpful too when you support somethign that will succeed. But....
    Business is about making money. Making money is about taking it(or preferably people willingly giving) from someone else.
    I can't help but say how I see it. Inflation just allows more taking in the end, hence the corrupt system and the spread there from into business practice.
    I see nothing wrong with seeking help abroad myself though. It's a logical choice when there may not be any other option, especially in the case of programming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

What was the most challenging part of working on The Jump which you didn't expect?

Grudaire wrote: »
    Are you happy with how the Jump did as a commercial venture,

And for the next game what would you consider 'success'?

No, its wasn't a commercial success. It was a terrific success in other metrics but one of the key metrics for a company is its ability to continue doing what they do.

In answer to your second question, I guess I would like it to do a huge amount of sales!

Its a tricky question because it really depends on your point of view... but I'm a realist enough to know that this is a business and businesses need to break even.

• Advertisement

PPC wrote: »
    Just wondering why Swedish developers were used for this when the grants were from Enterprise Ireland who are about developing businesses and employment in Ireland?
    Lack of experienced programmer candidates here. We were looking for someone who had commercial experience with Unity and who would work for a pittance plus a cut of the action :)
    Irish programmers were being hoovered up by the likes of Digit etc, and the rest were setting up their own companies like BitSmith :)

Ultimately we will bring those jobs to Dublin but the setup works really well for us right now.

Morag wrote: »
    What was the most challenging part of working on The Jump which you didn't expect?
    By far and away... the sound effects.

They made a huge difference to the game and they were REALLY hard to get right. We had put aside a few days to grab some stock sound effects and put them together and it turned into a few weeks of torturously editing wave files and levels. Its amazing how something can sound perfect in the editor can sound soooooo wrong when put in situ in the game.

That was unexpectedly hard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

Just come across this thread now. Really informative stuff here!

Congratulations DeVore!

Can I ask what your background is prior to starting GoneGaming?

From a tech perspective that is! Obviously from being involved with boards you have a web dev background but beyond that?

Sorry, just curious!

Personally I trained in Mathematics in college. I did really badly in my degree btw so if any of you are in despair about your results take heart :):)

I went straight into programming (VB) for Quinnsworth (now Tesco) and spent 2 years learning to make scales randomly insult people through the scrolling text under the Bananas button. :)

Spent 10 years in banking/insurance programming and then started my own company which built Boards in its "spare time". The company crashed and burned but boards was a huge success! Learned lots about being my own boss and then here we are :)

Karl has a formal 2-year qualification in game design and is really the brains of the operation. :)

I've often thought about giving game making a go, but I get so discouraged by the shear mass of rubbish being put out all the time. Then I watched "Indy Game" and it really made my mind up. It seemed like a fast track to depression. I love games, gaming, e-sports etc. its a huge part of my life but I don't know if I should mix my favourite pass time with my career. I'm afraid I will end up resenting it. I often have conversations with friends while drunk and we decide were going to make a game but when I wake up hungover, I always go back to thinking it would be a huge waste of time. I also don't want to fall out with my friends as a result of a failed business (frankly some of them would be impossible to work with but thats a different story).

So my question would be... How did you motivate yourself? Did you always believe you could do it? Were there dark days where you wanted to pack it all in? Did you experience any of the fears I mention above?

I haven't read the thread in full so I hope you won't be repeating yourself. Thanks

That's a great question... or in fact, questionS!

Firstly, they say never work with friends or family. I've done both and gotten away with it. I mean, who are you supposed to work with then? Strangers and enemies?

Karl and I have been friends for a long time before we did this. We work really well together and despite both being passionate about our baby (and me being an occasional grumptopus), we have never had a serious argument even when The Jump failed to make money. I think it goes to the quality of the people you surround yourself with tbh. We're both mature enough to realise blame is a corrosion and gets us nowhere.

Did we ever think we wouldn't make it? Well, I dunno if I would put it like that. We're still trying to "make it" but perhaps a better way to put it is that every time we meet up for beers we end up looking at each other and saying "can you believe we get to do this for a living!!"

Making a game is an extremely difficult project. It requires almost impossible levels of perfection in a number of areas from artistry to science to engineering. All coming together at the same time for a common goal. It is by far the most difficult thing I've done professionally.
    I have a new found respect for people like BitSmith and others who are out there trying to carve a living out of this frontier. They don't feel like competitors, they feel like brothers-in-arms!

Anyone who works for themselves, in any industry, has dark days when they feel like they are faking it and will never make it work. I've worked for myself for long enough to know that voice and ignore it. Failure isn't a terrible thing, its one brick on the road to success.

Working in games development isn't like most people imagine it. Yes there is a lot of fun in designing a game but that's a tiny fraction of the whole effort. Most of which is fairly standard software development practise. It gets old quickly unless you know to expect that!
    (I happen to like it and work with some gifted people so its not hard to motivate myself, but sometimes its hard to keep up with them :))

Advertisement