Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Paying Motor Tax Remotely Woes

Options
  • 24-06-2014 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

So I thought I would share this and see if anyone else had this issue.

I travel for work. I am only home maybe a couple weekends a month, and only on Saturdays and Sundays.

I moved about a year ago so my PIN went to my old address. I attempted to go online and get a new one using the automated 'PIN Retreval' system, however the system tells me
    PIN Retrieval Unsuccessful

Details entered are incorrect. Please try again. If you have recently changed address and not notified the Department, please enter your previous address. You can amend your address when processing your motor tax transaction online.

So I go to the contact number, a pay number, and after waiting five minutes listening to rubbish that is not what I want it tells me say 'motor' if my query is about online motor tax. I do that and it sends me to an automated system which tells to use the website and if I forgot my pin, use the automated retrieval system to reset.

I rang the local motortax office and they tell me there is nothing they can do as the system is handled elsewhere and is automated. The only option is for me to take off work and fly back and do it in person in Ireland. Seriously?

So I ring back and speak to someone else who tells me if I fax them a form with a check they can process it for me. Fax? Check? Sorry, did I ring 1950?

It would appear they have automated the system to the point to where all queries are answered by automated phone systems and if those systems do not work they direct you back to the automated website which of course directs you back to the automated phone system.

I have a bank account. I have credit cards and debit cards. I have money. For some reason they have made it impossible for me to send this to them without having to take a holiday as the local motortax office is not open weekends or holidays. Seriously?

Anyone else figure a way to deal with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I sent them an email a few months ago and they sent me the pin that way. You could try it. I used the email address on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

download and print the form , post it off with your credit card details and your change of address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Thanks for the replies.

I rang again today and got another nice lady who was very helpful. After confirming it was me she told me the address listed on the account which was an old address from like three years ago and I used that to reset my PIN. Got it all sorted now. A bit of a headache though sure! You would think trying to give the government your money would be easier than ordering a pizza.

Advertisement