Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 cent coin issue

Options
  • 24-06-2014 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭

Why is the 5 cent coin bigger than the 10 cent coin?

Whenever I make a tower out of all my coins in order of denomination, it makes it really unstable when I get to the coppers.

Used to have this problem with the old 2p, thought it would be sorted by now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭lotsofthegreen

Whenever I make a tower out of all my coins in order of denomination, it makes it really unstable when I get to the coppers.

I think there may be more than one "issue" here!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The copper coins have no indentations or milling around the edges so for blind people its only necessary that the copper coins are progressively bigger than one another according to denomination. As soon as you move up to the gold coloured (10c/20c/50c) coins, the milling and indentations allow blind people to distinguish one from the other.

Making each coin bigger than the next lower denomination across the whole coinage would require the 1c coin to be tiny as it already is but the €2 coin would have to be much bigger than it already is. It's just not practical and has never been done here or in the UK where copper coins have always had smooth edges and were on a different scale to silver coins which had milled edges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

You have too much time and money on your hands...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I have exactly the same problem.

And you always have to make the call then, do I go in order of size or denomination to complete the tower.

Normally I choose in order of size as it's essentially for stability and aesthetically it looks better but......it does irk me that it's not in demonimational order

Advertisement