Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does non-repeatable coursework usually mean the repeat exam is worth 100%?

• 24-06-2014 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I have emailed my lecturer but to no avail, so I was just wondering if this is generally the case?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

I have emailed my lecturer but to no avail, so I was just wondering if this is generally the case?

Depends on the module I think. Some of mine have been 100% coursework, but in other cases your original grade from the coursework just carries over, which can make it very difficult to pass if you did badly during the semester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

It'd be unusual. More often than not, your coursework stands as is for the repeats and you repeat the exam portion only. If it's something like an essay and the lecturer is feeling charitable then you might be offered an opportunity to repeat with a new topic. If it's labs or coursework assignments that can't be rerun then you're stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tragic and blonde

Subutai wrote: »
    Depends on the module I think. Some of mine have been 100% coursework, but in other cases your original grade from the coursework just carries over, which can make it very difficult to pass if you did badly during the semester.
    Chimaera wrote: »
    It'd be unusual. More often than not, your coursework stands as is for the repeats and you repeat the exam portion only. If it's something like an essay and the lecturer is feeling charitable then you might be offered an opportunity to repeat with a new topic. If it's labs or coursework assignments that can't be rerun then you're stuck.

Alright, thanks lads - I'm actually not worried about coursework for the most part, except for this one 10% assessment I missed (for good reason). Now it was not explicitly stated that you would fail the module on account of this at any point, and since I missed it for a reason other than sickness I didn't want to seem like I was making excuses to the lecturer or anything, so I figured I'd just let it go and take the 10% hit on my marks. Now I'm worried that it could cause me to fail the whole thing. Is this a thing that is likely to happen despite not being stated in the outline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

It should be stated in the module outline what the pass/fail criteria for the module are. If you're worried though, contact the lecturer about it. If you have a genuine reason for not handing it in then you should be ok.

Advertisement