Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting full-time but dead end job for a Masters

Options
  • 24-06-2014 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of quitting an extremely secure yet low paid job to go back and further my education. I have a Degree but I never went back to complete my studies and I still want to do a Masters. Has anyone any advice on how to finance it or would I be homeless lol. All joking aside I have very little savings as my pay is so crap. Would I get a grant or what am I entitled to? I got a grant when I did my degree 10 years ago. And the Masters I am interested in would be 2 years full-time. How do people finance full-time education? I have been waiting until "I had enough money" lol. I think I will be waiting for a long time.

Ps the course I am interested in is not available part-time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭sugoo69

DO IT! It will be hard but if you really want to you will find a way. You can apply for a grant via SUSI and you may be eligible for other supports. It's a bit like having kids, there never really is 'a right time' and you will never be able to afford it. Feel the fear and do it anyway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi OP Unfortunately you wont be entitled to a maintenance grant from SUSI as they only provided limited fee grants for post graduate courses.

The max they provide is €6200 approx but to get that you need to have a 2013 income of less that €22703 gross and have been receiving a social welfare payment. there is a fee grant of €2000 for people whose gross income was less than €31500 in 2013.

More info is here: http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9543/postgraduate-students/index.html

Regarding a social welfare payment the only one for full-time study is BTEA but it is only available for Higher Diploma postgrad courses and the new Professional Masters in Primary Education. No other Masters courses are considered unless its for a student who was accepted onto a Masters programme without holding a pre-existing degree. To be eligible you need to have been receiving a Jobseeker or other payment for at least 234 days before applying for BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭studentforever

I'm just finishing up my masters while working part time. I don't know how many contact hours you have classwise but mine was 24+ most weeks. I did manage to work and get some wages coming in but it was hard. Some weeks I'd be down to my last fiver on payday. I'm lucky that my boyfriend works full time and was able to cover bills but even when I was complete smashed, I'd be too proud to ask for money. Now, at the end it was all so worth it. But it was very difficult. I didn't get any grants, susi or otherwise and fees were self funded.

The amount of study required and assignments for mine was insane, but again, every masters is different so I can't comment on yours. If there's an option to do weekend work, do it if you can. Semi poverty is horrendous!

Advertisement