Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options Available to Get a Private CT (CAT) scan in Cork City

Options
  • 24-06-2014 9:11pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5

Hi all,
    I need a CT(CAT) scan of my chest as a private (non medical card) patient. What are my options in Cork City?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Does the VHI clinic in Mahon do them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

got one done in Euromed under the Elyssian 2 years ago
    http://euromedic.ie/locations/euromedic-cork.aspx

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5 csparnell14

Thanks.....is there anywhere I can get it in the University Hospital in Cork...it would be more convenient as I have an appointment to see a consultant there and it would be great to get to tie the two things together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Ask them to do the scan as a private patient. Shouldn't be a problem.

Ah great.... thanks... is that in the Hospital or the Consultants Private Clinic or the PET scanner part?

• Advertisement

I got an appointment no problem when I rang and asked for a private scan in University Hospital. I was told to attend the pet department where they would do my scan. I googled pet because I never heard off it before and its some kind of radioactive test for detecting cancer. I am puzzled now because I asked for CAT scan so I think the receptionist on the phone has booked me in for the wrong test. My GP is away on holidays at the moment so couldn't contact her.......can anyone shed any light on this for me before I call them back tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sandj2014

Make sure it's not a PET scan you're booked in for. They can cost 1-2k privately. From personal experience, Euromedic are really prompt and give you a disk with your results that you can bring to the consultant. You can also request that the report can be sent to your Consultant (and GP). They also open on weekends. Chances of getting your scan on the same day as consultants appointment in CUH Private Clinic may be slim, there may be delays etc. so I would advise getting it done a few days beforehand to be prepared! Hope all goes well.

Thanks for that SanJ14.....I contacted the CUH Private Clinic again this morning they assured me that I was booked for a CAT scan in the PET machine. They said that they can do CAT scans in the PET machine?????? I decided to cancel this appointment as I wasn't convinced by this and took your advice rang Euromedical and got my CAT scan booked very quickly and it wont be too expensive which is always a bonus. I am slightly concerned that patients might be getting booked for the wrong tests at the Private Clinic. Does anyone know is it really possible to do a CAT scan in a pet machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Thanks for that SanJ14.....I contacted the CUH Private Clinic again this morning they assured me that I was booked for a CAT scan in the PET machine. They said that they can do CAT scans in the PET machine?????? I decided to cancel this appointment as I wasn't convinced by this and took your advice rang Euromedical and got my CAT scan booked very quickly and it wont be too expensive which is always a bonus. I am slightly concerned that patients might be getting booked for the wrong tests at the Private Clinic. Does anyone know is it really possible to do a CAT scan in a pet machine?

Hi
    Its the same machine for both
    Only difference is that they inject you with radioactive dye for the pet scan which lights up cancer in the body.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

PET sans are more sophisticated that just having a dye to light up cancer.
    CT shows you anatomical features such as bone and some soft-tissue (example: organs) information. PET shows you information about the biochemistry going on (example: metabolism). So, since cancer is usually both anatomical (has a size, location, shape, etc.) and biochemical (it can metabolize sugar at a different rate as compared to the rest of your body), both of these imaging techniques tell you about what's going on. In very simplified terms, CT tells you about your structure (different densities of materials in your body), and PET tells you about your chemistry (different chemistry of materials in your body). For instance, your bone will show up very nicely on a CT and you won't see it at all on a PET scan (generally, unless you're using a probe that reacts with bone).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

In fairness, they are hardly trying to trick you.

Advertisement