Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy food joints ?

Options
  • 24-06-2014 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Im so sick of eating unhealthy rubbish ie curry pizza take away.. Subway is the only reasonalbly healthy fast fix i have.. I know restaurants make nice healthy food but their mostly a rip off.. Dose anyone know cheap healthy food places out there ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I have to say i dont know of any. How cheap we talking. Btw subway is probably one if the most unhealthy meals you can have.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

adamski8 wrote: »
    I have to say i dont know of any. How cheap we talking. Btw subway is probably one if the most unhealthy meals you can have.

Reasonalbly priced as in €6 quid fora feed is what im looking for.. For when i dont wanna spend two hours cooking and cleaning just like the hearthy italian footlong.. How is it so unhealthy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

sugarman wrote: »
    TBH tho, theres no such thing as eating healty from ready made and at a cheap price.

Thats what i was thinking. Funny how now there are rugby players advertising subway some think its actually healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

How about places with a salad bar like Dunnes or Supervalu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Govindas?
    Small plate is not much more that €6 and tbh is more than enough for me. vegetarian food, pretty damn tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Lucyn

Check out blazing salads. Not the cheapest and the staff have the worst customer service skills I've ever encountered, however, the food is super healthy and tastes divine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If it takes you two hours to cook something healthy you're doing it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Govindas?
    Small plate is not much more that €6 and tbh is more than enough for me. vegetarian food, pretty damn tasty.

Says it all really! I second Govinda's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Aussie BBQ Meatbox - 9E. Lots of meat, no carbs.
    http://www.aussiebbq.ie/food-menu/

Pablo Picante do a paleo box, which is delicous - 6.95E
    http://www.pablopicante.ie/baggot_street.html

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pinkmonkey045

I second blazing salads. You can eat like a horse and still not feel heavy/gross. Also cornucopia for a hearty soup and amazers bread for 4 or 5 quid. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I love Staple Foods in Temple Bar. The food is lovely and quite healthy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭mruser2014

If you think Subway is healthy there is something seriusly wrong with you.

Filled with processed meats with all the wrong fats. Very high in salt.

Dressings are filled with bad fats and loaded with calories. Then we have the processed bad bread that will do you so much harm.

They are loaded with calories. Stay away from Subway. You are doing yourself harm and will be making yourself fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Never a better time to eat in Dublin healthily.

There are now a few KC Peaches dotted around town, can get great salads or sandwiches for €6.

There are now a few falafel bars on Dame street which can be really healthy.

Even Burritos are better than a Subway, because they are properly nourishing rather than just filling and there are plenty of them about town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

There is a vietnamese place Adobaba on Capal Street - 5-8 euro for most main dishes. Very tastey and lean and light.

Also near there Desi Desi curry do some decent meals for 6-8 euro (ask for brown rice and you will get it). Cant really go wrong with chicken and brown rice and some spice.

Not really super healthy but there is also a Korean place behind the Jervais Luas stop do a plate with three dishes, miso soup and rice for 5.50.

Better than regular fast food anyway.

Personally I am not a fan of salad as a meal. Fine on the side , but I have a active lifestyle so when I need to eat I need to eat, and all of the above do good size portions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭lau1247

What is putting me off Subway is the report of the 'Yoga mat' chemical they use for the bread. The report that I read seems to be about the US market although I cannot find anything about it for Ireland so it is hard to know whether they use it here? (Maybe someone can correct me?)

(https://us.newshub.org/subway_yoga_mat_chemical_almost_out_of_bread_622806.html).

In any case, until they can confirm that it is gone, I'd much rather eat something else

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

lau1247 wrote: »
    What is putting me off Subway is the report of the 'Yoga mat' chemical they use for the bread. The report that I read seems to be about the US market although I cannot find anything about it for Ireland so it is hard to know whether they use it here? (Maybe someone can correct me?)

(https://us.newshub.org/subway_yoga_mat_chemical_almost_out_of_bread_622806.html).

In any case, until they can confirm that it is gone, I'd much rather eat something else

The EU food regulations tend to be much stronger than those of the US so it's possible it was never allowed be used here.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

If you choose the right ingredients burrito bars can be quite healthy. Order a bowl not a general burrito. Avoid sour cream and cheese if you're watching calories. You end up with rice (some places offer brown), beans, meat, salsa, guacmole and a meat of your choice. Pretty decent for 6-7 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

spurious wrote: »
    The EU food regulations tend to be much stronger than those of the US so it's possible it was never allowed be used here.

The bread does smell weird though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I remember watching a documentary where it showed a Subway representative doing the rounds promoting healthy eating. A very overweight girl after the talk said "I'd love to eat more healthily but I just can't afford to eat Subway every day."

Subway's market position is "healthy fast food", and regardless of how healthy it is they seem to be doing pretty well at making people believe that it is.

There are a lot of better alternatives as people here have pointed out. I'm far from the healthiest guy in the world but it annoys me when people buy in to a marketing message so fervently without checking the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

Cianos wrote: »
    I remember watching a documentary where it showed a Subway representative doing the rounds promoting healthy eating. A very overweight girl after the talk said "I'd love to eat more healthily but I just can't afford to eat Subway every day."

Subway's market position is "healthy fast food", and regardless of how healthy it is they seem to be doing pretty well at making people believe that it is.

There are a lot of better alternatives as people here have pointed out. I'm far from the healthiest guy in the world but it annoys me when people buy in to a marketing message so fervently without checking the facts.

Subway guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Fogle) is a perfect example of Subway playing on consumer ignorance in a "healthy eating" marketing campaign. He lost a massive amount of weight solely eating Subway sandwiches. He didn't lose weight because of solely eating at Subway which they tried to promote, he lost weight because his daily calorie intake was less than his calorie expenditure. He could have done the same with Big Macs and call it the Big Mac diet, it still doesn't make for a healthy diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

The Paleo burger and sweet potato fries in Bunsen is pretty healthy.

A simple healthy meal only takes a 10-20 minutes to make, cut a sweet potato into chips and rub on some olive oil, lash them and a chicken breast into a preheated oven for 20 minutes, boil some broccoli. Very healthy meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭lau1247

spurious wrote: »

i suspect as much for EU stricter regulations but still, it is very hard to shake off that feeling when no one question about it..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Advertisement