Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Pole Drama...Thoughts

Options
  • 24-06-2014 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there, my partner and I have recently been granted planning permission in Wicklow, one of the conditions of the planning permission is that two ESB poles on our site be moved before the commencement of any building work. Anyways we have been in touch with the ESB and forwarded all relevant documentation and today we met with one of their staff on site who outlined to us that we had two options:

1. They will move the poles for free but to an area which has been specified by them which will result in my partners brother's view being restricted from his house.

2. We ourselves will have to dig trenches at the side of our site and they will move the lines underground at a unspecified fee of a "few" thousand euro, plus solicitors fees on top of that to have the OS maps changed to show same.

The 1st option is a non runner as it would be unfair to do that that to my partners brother and were really not in a position to hand out a couple of thousand €'s. Our savings are going to be demolished with council fees, solicitors fees, engineers fees and water and ESB connection fees. We really cant afford another hit, however if it has to be done it has to be done.

Have you any advice etc or do we just have to suck it up and hand over the money??

Also I don't know if this might make a difference but one of the said poles goes on fire every couple of months and the ESB are well aware of it as they send out a repair team whenever it happens.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

ESB Networks have a strong bargaining position. They are a monopoly. If you want to get things sorted in the short term, I would pick one of the options that they presented.

You could challenge them regarding what you may deem to be a faulty pole, but you will only prolong the process. You will also drop down their list of priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Got mine under ground. As you said we dug the ground . Put in all ducting . Esb put the cables in and connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chonchubhair 1987

Got mine under ground. As you said we dug the ground . Put in all ducting . Esb put the cables in and connected.

Was it expensive??....if you don't mind me asking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Was it expensive??....if you don't mind me asking!!

Free if I remember . The trench and ducting I paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Free if I remember . The trench and ducting I paid for.

I have to get a pole moved as well it's in the way of my shed, ESB were out not charge I just dug a trench to where I wanted it moved to and they'll come and do the rest.
    Not sure how true this is but the ESB fella said if it's in your way for planning they have to move it free of charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Iirc ESB rely on wayleave to have cables and pikes on your property, so moving them is as much in their interest as yours. No wayleave and they have to move them anyway. ... At their expense. .

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement