Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greece v Ivory Coast

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Who woulda thought one of Costa Rica or Greece would be in the quarter finals? Really hope Costa Rica can keep their run going and knock them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Billy86 wrote: »
    Put money on Greece at 1-0 but absolutely despise them at the same time. I'm very torn here. :p

Double loss so. What's there to be torn about? Heap on the misery :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Thats what you get for insisting your country's name is in French!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Was impressed with Greece tonight, they really went for it from the beginning, a lot better than they were in their previous two games. Costa Rica or Greece will now make it to the quarters, did not see that coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

shrewdness wrote: »
    Who woulda thought one of Costa Rica or Greece would be in the quarter finals? Really hope Costa Rica can keep their run going and knock them out.

Had to laugh at Danny Murphy on BBC saying " It makes it more frustrating for an Englishman as England v Greece would have been a good tie".
    How if you only get 1 point from 9 do they think they would beat Greece?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Danny Murphy very uncomfortable looking with Robbies arm behind him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

murpho999 wrote: »
    Had to laugh at Danny Murphy on BBC saying " It makes it more frustrating for an Englishman as England v Greece would have been a good tie".
    How if you only get 1 point from 9 do they think they would beat Greece?

Out of possible next round opponents he is absolutely right, Greece is a good tie for anyone to get, they are one of the worst teams left in it. His point is valid. They probably would have beaten England, as they would also have been one of the worst teams left had they scraped out of the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Out of possible next round opponents he is absolutely right, Greece is a good tie for anyone to get. His point is valid.

No, it isn't as England did not come near getting there.

murpho999 wrote: »
    No, it isn't as England did not come near getting there.

No, and that's why he is frustrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭La Mer

well that was a joke :D

i'v known Greece to be one of the luckiest teams in Europe since 2004. Nothing has changed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

La Mer wrote: »
    well that was a joke :D

i'v known Greece to be one of the luckiest teams in Europe since 2004. Nothing has changed :D

It's not luck if you keep doing it :cool:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Thank god for that, hope they hold on.
    This is all my fault :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I'm absolutely delighted to see Greece go through. There's a gulf in class between the European & South American teams and the rest of the World, and they had to achieve a far higher standard to qualify than that required by African teams for example.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

kryogen wrote: »
    If the Ivory Coast players had a

Deep lying playmaker and not a fool like Tiote as DM? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

Well, there was just a horrible inevitability about that wasn't there? I don't care how dogged, resolute, etc,etc the Greeks are. I can't stand them. Yeah Ivory Coast can't have too many complaints, they were ropey at the back all game, but at least they tried to come out and play. I'll be supporting Ivory Coast in the next round.

• Advertisement

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Deep lying playmaker
    That's the African teams problem at heart. Have they ever produced anyone with the ability to control a game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Anyone know what happened to the Greek keeper? They glossed over it on the rte highlights. Must have been bad enough with ~5 mins stopped.

Anyone know what happened to the Greek keeper? They glossed over it on the rte highlights. Must have been bad enough with ~5 mins stopped.

Did his back in

That's the African teams problem at heart. Have they ever produced anyone with the ability to control a game?

Bingo, and not that I can remember, nope.

Bingo, and not that I can remember, nope.

Not just deep-lying, but even behind the strikers. Not an ounce of creativity in them, Yaya Toure is probably the best they have even for passing the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

According to Channel 4 there's a few in the Ghanayan FA who can.:)

Not just deep-lying, but even behind the strikers. Not an ounce of creativity in them, Yaya Toure is probably the best they have even for passing the ball.

Okacha for Nigeria is probably the most notable African name in the last 20 years really for the CAM spot, Yaya aside, outside of that, I'm really struggling.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

trashcan wrote: »
    I'll be supporting Ivory Coast in the next round.

I hate to put a downer on your World Cup but Ivory Coast were knocked out by Greece tonight. Sorry about that, mate. :(

Okacha for Nigeria is probably the most notable African name in the last 20 years really for the CAM spot, Yaya aside, outside of that, I'm really struggling.

Even then Okocha was more of an individualist than passmaster supreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭josh101st

Are Greece through now?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭La Mer

josh101st wrote: »
    Are Greece through now?

yes .. they will play with costa rica.

Even then Okocha was more of an individualist than passmaster supreme.

Yeah, I suppose, though I thought he was an underrated passer of the ball. His game was never really developed as much as it should have been. Had he had the chance to be coached by a top level coach for a decent chunk of his career early, he could have reached another level for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Qualifying for the second round having only scored 2 goals and with a -2 goal difference. Must be the worst record to qualify for second round since Ireland in 94?

I think you mean Ireland in 1990. The Netherlands also had the same result as Ireland in 1990. Chile also drew 3 group games in 1998.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Two goals in three games, one in the last minute \o/
    It's not luck if you keep doing it :cool:

And they keep doing it..next up to put a pin in the Costa Rica bubble.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Don't know how to say this without sounding slightly prejudice, but I don't intend it to be, I believe it's a culture problem in Africa. All chiefs and no indians so to say, everyone wants to be the star so all the best players normally end up in the goal scoring positions. If they had better facilities and scouting systems I'm sure they'd produce better midfielders but alas the money isn't there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Out of possible next round opponents he is absolutely right, Greece is a good tie for anyone to get, they are one of the worst teams left in it. His point is valid. They probably would have beaten England, as they would also have been one of the worst teams left had they scraped out of the group.

I wouldn't say Greece is a good side to face if you're a team that struggles to create and score goals like England or a typical Hodgson set-up, particularly if Greece don't allow themselves to be counterattacked with pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The Pirate Ship sails on. Next victim - Costa Rica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Electric finish. Greece do this stuff tournament after tournament. They never say die.

Also those who were paying attention yesterday would have noticed that they fully deserved the win - had far more of the game and hit the woodwork a couple of times.

dfx- wrote: »
    I wouldn't say Greece is a good side to face if you're a team that struggles to create and score goals like England or a typical Hodgson set-up, particularly if Greece don't allow themselves to be counterattacked with pace.

Greece offer much less going forward than most though, so the ideal team to take to penalties. The spiritual home of England exits from world cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bgrove

If IC had played for their jersey and not purely for themselves they would have been home and hosed and not in the situation they find themselves in today. You can be fairly certain they're experts at blaming each other etc, a team of dullards. (The rant of a man who lost a few pound with that pen.)

The Greeks were nothing other than lucky, it was IC's to lose

bgrove wrote: »

The Greeks were nothing other than lucky, it was IC's to lose
    Aside from the little fact that Greece were the better team?

Don't deserve to go through, one goal scored in 5 hrs plus prior to last night, it was IC's to lose, which they did through two f ups. Being 'the better team' is a matter of opinion by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Well played Greece, well deserved on the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

bgrove wrote: »
    Don't deserve to go through, one goal scored in 5 hrs plus prior to last night, it was IC's to lose, which they did through two f ups. Being 'the better team' is a matter of opinion by the way.

Sure, but if you take the opinion that the team who pushed the action for most of the match and hit the woodwork three times were the lessor team then I would suggest your opinion is flawed.

Greece deserved to win. Greece won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Anyone who doesn't respect the national pride and balls that this Greece team shows tournament after tournament doesn't understand what international football is all about, Karagounis is as important to the Greeks as Pirlo to the Italians. Legends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I really enjoyed this game last night and was willing the Greeks on. What a performance full of steel, mental resilience and a insatiable willingness to just ****ing go for it. Delighted for them.

Of course they're going to 'go for it', fairly pointless if they didn't. My point is that it was ivorys to lose. Would the greeks be going for it if all they needed was a draw. They'd get the 0-0 and fair play.

peabutler wrote: »
    Anyone who doesn't respect the national pride and balls that this Greece team shows tournament after tournament doesn't understand what international football is all about, Karagounis is as important to the Greeks as Pirlo to the Italians. Legends

Nobody on here questioned the Greeks national pride or grit etc, Chalk and cheese in comparison to the Africans in terms of teamwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

I hate to put a downer on your World Cup but Ivory Coast were knocked out by Greece tonight. Sorry about that, mate. :(

Oooops:o It was late, that's my excuse. I meant Costa Rica of course.

Advertisement