Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on new alarm

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

altor wrote: »
    Yes, thats my point.
    You have to buy the system to avail of the monitoring.
    The price of the monitoring plus installation and equipment is included in the deal.
    So you are lying to your potential customers telling them something is free?

Thanks for the free advertisement tho ;)
    Your welcome. However reading that your offer of something being free when you are really charging the customer, and openly admitting it on a public forum is not the type of advertising I would want.
    If I offer someone something for free I am not hiding the charge by including it in the price of something else.

I would consider not having wire free inertia on a hybrid system a limitation.
    Not agree?

I have already agreed it is. If wireless inertias are required I use other solutions.
    Its a add on to the system. The system is not sold with the modules fitted.
    Like Astec and the DV and D systems.
    But you can't have app or remote access without signing up for subscriptions and paying for each app.

Do you not consider that a limitation?
    Unlimited is unlimited.
    No extra fees.
    Everything in one package.
    But in reality it is limited to the bandwidth your system is going to use. It's not like you can use the connection to go downloading everything and texting and ringing everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

KoolKid wrote: »
    So you are lying to your potential customers telling them something is free?

Your welcome. However reading that your offer of something being free when you are really charging the customer, and openly admitting it on a public forum is not the type of advertising I would want.
    If I offer someone something for free I am not hiding the charge by including it in the price of something else.

Shop around would be my advice.
    Its a great price for what is included ;)

I have already agreed it is. If wireless inertias are required I use other solutions.

But if wire free is not used now and later down the road it becomes a requirement is that not a problem since as you say:
    I think not having Siemens wireless inertia's is a draw back.

:confused:

But you can't have app or remote access without signing up for subscriptions and paying for each app.

Do you not consider that a limitation?

You really are just repeating yourself now.
    Of course everyone wants free, I know some people won't see the benefit but others will.

Unlimited is unlimited.
    No extra fees.
    Everything in one package.
    But in reality it is limited to the bandwidth your system is going to use. It's not like you can use the connection to go downloading everything and texting and ringing everyone.

Its a world sim used for the alarm.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Shop around would be my advice.
    Its a great price for what is included ;)

Shopping would be always be my advice also especially if your installer is misleading you with advertising like that.
    But if wire free is not used now and later down the road it becomes a requirement is that not a problem since as you say:

I thought you were well up on products and options available??
    There are numerous solutions to this if required. Any good installer would be able to offer numerous options to suit here.

Its a world sim used for the alarm.

Yes I know , that is not going to affect the little bandwidth that's going to be used. In fact with roaming charges dropping and becoming obsolete this will be even less relevant.

Shopping would be always be my advice also especially if your installer is misleading you with advertising like that.

If the price is right ;)
    I thought you were well up on products and options available??
    There are numerous solutions to this if required. Any good installer would be able to offer numerous options to suit here.

Yes there are but who wants to take these routes when most manufactures produce there own devices for the system they sell.

A true hybrid system should have a full suite of wire free devices.
    Yes I know , that is not going to affect the little bandwidth that's going to be used. In fact with roaming charges dropping and becoming obsolete this will be even less relevant.

Its a world sim, it picks the strongest network depending on the different networks available.

If the price is right ;)
    If the customer is happy with that then that's up to them. I find when choosing a security provider trust is a major factor.
    I would never trust someone who I believe is misleading me.
    Yes there are but who wants to take these routes when most manufactures produce there own devices for the system they sell.

A true hybrid system should have a full suite of wire free devices.
    There is no manufacturer that can supply a wireless device to suit every ones needs. As a professional installer you must agree with that.
    That's why it's best that good installers don't limit or allign themselves to one manufacturer.
    You don't walk into Harvey Normans and see one make of TV or compter.
    Its a world sim, it picks the strongest network depending on the different networks available.
    What's that got to do with whether it's limited or unlimited. Most sims in a static position will rarely switch networks anyway.
    Again with roaming charges becoming obsolete soon every sim will do this.

• Advertisement

If the customer is happy with that then that's up to them. I find when choosing a security provider trust is a major factor.
    I would never trust someone who I believe is misleading me.

Trust will never be an issue with me here either way :D
    I would not call it misleading as they are not paying for the full package ;)
    Its a great price for what is included, most people are happy with that.
    There is no manufacturer that can supply a wireless device to suit every ones needs. As a professional installer you must agree with that.
    That's why it's best that good installers don't limit or allign themselves to one manufacturer.
    You don't walk into Harvey Normans and see one make of TV or compter.

Every day is a learning day in this business, always pays to have the ability to install systems used in todays market.
    What's that got to do with whether it's limited or unlimited. Most sims in a static position will rarely switch networks anyway.
    Again with roaming charges becoming obsolete soon every sim will do this.

A world sim will switch network depending on which provider has the best signal.
    It may stay at a certain network for weeks and then detect a problem and switch to the strongest available.
    A ready to go sim will not do this as it is tied to that service provider.
    Thats the beauty of them.

My reference to unlimited in terms of the HKC GSM-SC is if you have it set up you would have unlimited voice, text and data all for the €5.

Granny has an old nokia, she can have voice.
    Smyth does not like technology but can use text.
    Mr Smyth has a smart phone and wants the APP. All for the €5 ;)

My recommendation if subscribed to this service would be to have the multiple paths. It is still going to cost the €5 with the single path. Of course if you want the APP then €7.99 is the charge per phone for this.

Each to their own. But if someone told me something was free and then disclosed I was actually paying for it in the price I would be unlikely to trust them.

A world sim will switch network depending on which provider has the best signal.
    It may stay at a certain network for weeks and then detect a problem and switch to the strongest available.
    There are some home networks that will roam locally. You may need to do some more research here regarding this.
    My reference to unlimited in terms of the HKC GSM-SC is if you have it set up you would have unlimited voice, text and data all for the €5.
    Again this is still really limited to how much bandwidth the alarm is physically going to use.
    Granny has an old nokia, she can have voice.
    Smyth does not like technology but can use text.
    Mr Smyth has a smart phone and wants the APP. All for the €5 ;)
    You mean €5 per month on top of €7.99 for anyone who needs the app.....
    My recommendation if subscribed to this service would be to have the multiple paths. It is still going to cost the €5 with the single path. Of course if you want the APP then €7.99 is the charge per phone for this.
    And what is you recommdation if a customer wants free IP access with free push notifications and free email alerts and does not want to pay a monthly subscription??

Each to their own. But if someone told me something was free and then disclosed I was actually paying for it in the price I would be unlikely to trust them.

There are some home networks that will roam locally. You may need to do some more research here regarding this.
    Again this is still really limited to how much bandwidth the alarm is physically going to use.

You mean €5 per month on top of €7.99 for anyone who needs the app.....

And what is you recommdation if a customer wants free IP access with free push notifications and free email alerts and does not want to pay a monthly subscription??

I suppose it is, hate to see you in the sales so :cool:

Yep €5 per Month is great value.

Risco do free.. If you don't want the option of GPRS.
    Thought we already covered this.
    It wasn't that long ago you were playing down the risks of jammers, cables being cut etc saying domestic applications are not that high a risk.

Can you either back this statement up or retract it???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lads,

This post is not advising the op. Its turned into a competition.

The long and the short of it is that we have two excellent contributors that won't give the other an inch. You both think you've given miles and have in the past withdrawn from this type of engagement.

We now have a double ultimation, I can tell you both one thing neither of you will yeild on these issues.

But the forum comes first. I can't get either of you to back down. There is no point asking me to do it.

I can't fire this up the line. It would be unfair to issue a ban to one side.

All I can do is ask you both to park your issues.

By park I mean Park everywhere on this forum not just this thread, please don't drag up old issues continuously.

I fully understand that you have both been correct and somewhat incorrect on occasions.

But a user asked for advice, that's what this thread is about, addressing the op. Neither of you are doing that at the moment.

Imagine how quickly you guys could post if you didn't have to worry about your post being dissected by the other.

I suggest that you stop quoting each other. I'm not saying agree to disagree, I'm saying agree to stop doing this to a thread.

My understanding is that there is a private trade forum. Why not list these issues there and address them away from the op.

So again please stop arguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Stoner we have been asking for the same thing in the trade forum, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

intro wrote: »
    I have just moved into a bungalow which has no alarm. I intend to install an alarm. There are 23 openable windows, 2 doors and a small concrete shed holding the oil burner for the heating. i intend to hard wire the majority of the system
    Most of the windows are arranged with a small window on top and a large window under. I was going to put a contact on the small window and an inertia/contact on the large one. Is this a reasonable way to do this or should i put an inertia/contact on all windows?
    The shed has the oil burner and an infra red heater to prevent freezing of the pipes. Will a standard PIR work here or will I need a specific type?
    I was reading a post about putting the panel in the attic and that would seem a good option for me. Is there additional items i require to use for this?.
    I am going to put in at least 3 smoke alarms and one heat sensor alarm. What are good units?
    The house is going to be extended and a large garage built (which will be up to 20 meters away) in about 9 to 12 months. What options would I have here (the garage) e.g. wired wireless etc There will be another door in the house and possibly up to 6 extra openable windows. The panel will be key to all the above. What would people recommend for this? Easy to install would be good. I have put a HKC alarm in about 8 years ago on a garage without too much problems.
    The provisional list is a panel, 25 contacts/ inertia (depending on above) two keypads, external bell/strobe ,PIR (depending on above), two panic buttons, back up battery, smoke/heat alarms and wire. Anything I’m missing?

Thanks in advance. Sorry about the long post.

If you're installing the system yourself the HKC panel will be of no use to you if you want an app as they will only allow installers to connect it up.

The risco agility panel or the lightsys would be a better option.

Altor has informed me that HKC will allow end users to set up the app themselves using an un branded app. So my previous comment may be misleading and I apologise for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭intro

Another few questions if someone can help.
    If I understand correctly most panels have 8 to 10 zones on board and I will need to add expansion boards. As far as I can see the Siemens control panel (5320.320) takes one board inside the control panel, all the Risco Lightsks expansions boards slot into the main board and I am not sure about the HKC. How and where do I put the expansion panels that do not fit into the control panel? Are they mounted beside the control panel? Do they need a separate power supply? Are they connected via alarm cable or are there specific leads to be used? Also how much do expansion panels roughly cost for each of the three brands?

Evolution 1 : Altor has informed me that HKC will allow end users to set up the app themselves using an un branded app
    What is the unbranded app that will work with the HKC?

A bit of a strange question to finish up. Is it possible to get an outdoor inertia sensor to use on an oil tank to connect to an alarm panel? I guess using a PIR would have a lot of false alarms from birds landing on it etc.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

The risco gear would be the cheapest. I don't have the info on the unbranded app but you'll still have to pay a monthly fee.

You can use the risco watch out external PIR to protect the oil tank. Have a look at it on YouTube. An RF contact wouldn't survive the outdoors .

The App Risco use it called iRisco and it's free. There's some videos on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

intro wrote: »
    Another few questions if someone can help.
    If I understand correctly most panels have 8 to 10 zones on board and I will need to add expansion boards. As far as I can see the Siemens control panel (5320.320) takes one board inside the control panel, all the Risco Lightsks expansions boards slot into the main board and I am not sure about the HKC. How and where do I put the expansion panels that do not fit into the control panel? Are they mounted beside the control panel? Do they need a separate power supply? Are they connected via alarm cable or are there specific leads to be used? Also how much do expansion panels roughly cost for each of the three brands?

Evolution 1 : Altor has informed me that HKC will allow end users to set up the app themselves using an un branded app
    What is the unbranded app that will work with the HKC?

A bit of a strange question to finish up. Is it possible to get an outdoor inertia sensor to use on an oil tank to connect to an alarm panel? I guess using a PIR would have a lot of false alarms from birds landing on it etc.

Thanks again
    You don't need zone expanders at all just put a few windows onto a single zone its not a problem. I'd go for hkc 1070 (10 wired zones, plus wireless) because you have done a hkc before and you already know how easy it is to install and navigate the menus. Thing is that hkc products are so common that if you run into trouble installing or in the future you will have no problem finding someone to sort it out.
    Now if you are insisting on expanding the zones the 1070 has a slot for a 10 zone expander inside the control panel which will give you 20 wired zones.
    It's true that its not ideal that hkc are looking for 5 euro a month for the app etc. however if you don't like this then get gsm-q with a prepaid sim card.
    unbranded app just means it won't be set up by an installer and won't have he's logo appearing on your phone but its the exact same app.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

With the Siemens panel the expansion boards are in their own enclosure and can be mounted beside the panel or in another location if it suits the installation. You just need a bit of alarm cable to connect the expansion to the main panel, two cores for signal and two for power from main panel.

Advertisement