Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastway Couriers

Options
  • 24-06-2014 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Would anyone have any pointers or tips as to how to get the best rates for pre-paid bags from Fastway.

My business is quite new and I'm in catch 22.
    I can't offer customers a good courier rate, because I don't have one that is cost effective.
    I can't get one, because I don't as yet have the volume needed for the discount!
    20% -30% of sales are to the EU, rest are domestic.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I use parcel2go works out cheaper than going direct I a am in the same position as you that I don't quite have the volume to get their reduced rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Thanks jimmii, I have used CityPOST Parcel a few times and found them to be quite good.
    I'll take a look at parcel2go.

Very few of my packages are over 1Kg and I'd love to be able to offer a domestic flat rate of about €6 inc.
    Also flat rate to UK of about €10 inc.

I can dream can't I? LOL

Fastway via parcel2go is €6.21 exld. for smaller packages so its not far off. I have used that a fair bit in the past the customer service from parcel2go has been pretty decent in my limited experience with them too.

I'm due a Fastway delivery today so I'll pick yer man's brain about buying satchels and see what he offers.

Buying satchels? How does that work?

• Advertisement

jimmii wrote: »
    Buying satchels? How does that work?

You buy a heap of them (not sure what the minimum is) and get a business/frequent user rate.

Pay up front and then use them as you need to.

Satchels is just a fancy name for plastic mailing bags LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

pre-purchase some of their jiffy bags. worked out cheaper for when I used them. and hold out for a discount , the driver is part of a franchise and will want the business.

Hope this helps,
    Fionn

Fionn101 wrote: »
    pre-purchase some of their jiffy bags. worked out cheaper for when I used them. and hold out for a discount , the driver is part of a franchise and will want the business.

Hope this helps,
    Fionn

Just spoke to the driver at the door as he was delivering to me.
    €5.50 + VAT per satchel for domestic. Minimum of 20 satchels.
    Not too bad I suppose!!
    Forgot to ask him about UK and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Not too bad I suppose!!

They are for ireland and ni only. Uk is more expensive. Fastway are great for here but they don't have a proper uk network. Tracking ends once the package leaves ireland. I do use then to the uk from time to time but not without problems.

GLS are worth a look to UK and Europe.

Thats great to know will definitely check out the satchels!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,547 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Not too bad I suppose!!

I have low volume shipments but the added problem that I'm away at my "proper job" during the day.. I'm on the road so just pop into a Post Office and the Parcel Post up to 1kg is €6.50 with tracking ID, up to 2kg is only €7.50 with tracking ID. All my shipments are domestic.

Cheers Brian, good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 damiensw

Check out Scurri. They are an Irish business based in the UK. As far as I know they are connected to several different carriers in Ireland.

Thanks, will take a look now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mondo 088

use An Post

Mondo 088 wrote: »
    use An Post

I have been, I'm just looking for alternatives and a better deal if possible.

My high value packages need to be tracked, AnPost are not too competitive there.

Advertisement