Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 2014 - Bike Set Up.

Options
  • 24-06-2014 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

So starting to rack up the training, slowly introducing the gear I plan to use on the day, but still thinking about my bike set up.

Using my road bike, an approximately 10 year old entry level road bike, Alu frame, steel fork, 18 speed, 700x23 tyres. Have just switched from my SPD Pedals to flats with mini toe clips as going to wear trail runners on the day, but thinking about the tyres.

Was thinking a wider tyre, but unsure how wide I can/should go. Was also thinking Gatorskins due to the forest trail/bumpy section on the second bike section, but have been told and read that they can be dodgy in the wet, would could be a concern for the steep and windy sections for the first bike section. Any ideas or sugestions for what I should be going for or looking at.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

I used GP4000s, as a good mix of rolliing and puncture resistance, pumped pretty damn hard!

But what will get you trhough the off-road sections is skill, not equipment. If you only know how to sit on the bike and pedal, as oppossed to riding the bike, then equipment is not going to help too much (unlesss you're on a MTB). Pedalling along and banging into every rock is going to massively increase the chance of puntures etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Enduro wrote: »
    I used GP4000s, as a good mix of rolliing and puncture resistance, pumped pretty damn hard!

But what will get you trhough the off-road sections is skill, not equipment. If you only know how to sit on the bike and pedal, as oppossed to riding the bike, then equipment is not going to help too much (unlesss you're on a MTB). Pedalling along and banging into every rock is going to massively increase the chance of puntures etc.

I'd be more concerned with being sent over the top of I was at that kind of riding. Rode MTBs for years before transfering to road, so some of those skills have remained, and have used one or two on the racer, although still dont plan on flying it through the off road section, and if I have too run with the bike, I will.

An MTB could be an option, but think would lose me too much time on the much longer road sections. I believe a hybrid is a good compromise, but dont have access to one or prepared to fork out for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Oh you've got a good set-up with the bike there... road bike is overall the fastest on GF. Stick with that plan. Having MTBed before should mean that you'll have enough finesse to get through the bumpy sections with a much reduced likelyhood of punctures. There's really only one short enough section where you might need to run with the bike (after CP, on the off-road section when you start descending)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Insidious

I did GFW last year and GFN both last year and this year... I got a puncture on the main road into Westport after cycling almost all the off road stuff.... and also got a puncture on the rough stuff up in Donegal a few weeks ago...
    I'm using the Gatorskins... So I'm not sure if they are good enough.. I've tried to take action now to prevent further punctures as its frustrating watching all the people you tried to keep behind you sailing on past...
    Now to the reason for my reply....

I've just tried using a product called "Slime" in the tubes and am trying it out in the build up to GFW... So far all seems good.. It's supposed to plug a puncture when it happens and prevents the Tyre from deflating.. If it does what it says on the tin then it's gotta be a real help... Just thought I should share that!! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

As Enduro says, your set up is good.
    Essentially a road bike with gatorskins/Gp4000's pumped to at least 100psi. The cycling is relatively flat with only one climb of note so runners and clip-ins are a good choice and save transition time.

If the frame will take them definitely go for 700x25, the 700x23 is risky on the offroad section and also doesn't have enough give/bounciness.

There are 3 rough sections on the skelp offroad section. The second one can be the worst and might be worth running through but the whole thing can be ridden with care. Without care you may puncture or go over the bars. I have managed both of these final two options :)

• Advertisement

Cheers lads/lassies, thanks for the input. Was speakimg to my mechanic last week as had bike in for a service, and she will take the 700×25s.

Been building up the miles alittle more lately, by including the local Warriors Run route in my training, wearing/carrying some of the Gaelforce kit as well. Starting this week now wearing tri shorts for the first time. Getting quite excited now about it.

Insidious wrote: »
    I did GFW last year and GFN both last year and this year... I got a puncture on the main road into Westport after cycling almost all the off road stuff.... and also got a puncture on the rough stuff up in Donegal a few weeks ago...
    I'm using the Gatorskins... So I'm not sure if they are good enough.. I've tried to take action now to prevent further punctures as its frustrating watching all the people you tried to keep behind you sailing on past...
    Now to the reason for my reply....

I've just tried using a product called "Slime" in the tubes and am trying it out in the build up to GFW... So far all seems good.. It's supposed to plug a puncture when it happens and prevents the Tyre from deflating.. If it does what it says on the tin then it's gotta be a real help... Just thought I should share that!! ;-)

Do you put that in when you get the puncture? Carry spare tubes and CO2 my self, assume this is acceptable as Gaelforce Kit in place of a mini pump. Have only had to use a couple of times and find a great time saving, and gear reduction peice of kit.

saw this in the cycling forum. GP4000 reduced.
    Good tyres are still expensive though!

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/tyresclincher/continental-gp4000s-ii.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I'm giving it a lash in my cycling shoes this year. Transition time shouldn't be an issue, and would hope that the time I gain on the the bike with them will far outweigh the time I'd lose whipping them off and lacing up the trail runners.

Anyone else adopt this approach before?

Paddigol wrote: »
    I'm giving it a lash in my cycling shoes this year. Transition time shouldn't be an issue, and would hope that the time I gain on the the bike with them will far outweigh the time I'd lose whipping them off and lacing up the trail runners.

Do you always return your bike to the same point? Especially with the slight route change at the end this year for the final run into Westport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Transition time shouldn't be an issue

Last time I did this race a few years ago I was aiming for sub 5 hours. When I got to Croagh Patrick I thought sure I'll have a pee just in case so sauntered over for one. Got to Westport and saw I was pushing 5 hours so sprinted as much as I could on the bike and the run back. I think I was 5 hours and a few seconds, kicking myself over that "just in case pee" !
    Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Do you always return your bike to the same point? Especially with the slight route change at the end this year for the final run into Westport.

No idea about the route change, but you always picked your bike up from where you left it. Croagh Patrick can be a bit confusing though as when you come back from your bike the transition area can look completely different as you just (or did each time I did the race) leave it laying in a field, there were no racks with numbers to take note of. I lost about a minute on my 5 hours and a few seconds year too by not being able to find my bloody bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

not sure what your asking hence the over complicated explanation

ive only done it the once so im open to correction

you rack your bike the night before at delphi , then run / kakak / run to it, so i guess if using bike shoes you leave them on it,

bike to croagh patrick, leave your bike in the field ,change shoes, up and down and back to bike in the same place, change shoes back

bike then to westport, from the sounds of it the bike drop/transition here is on the green area at the quay, drop bike,change shoes again, run to westport house, when your finished you can go back and get your bike..

if you go with bike shoes, youl be carrying runners, be that in a bag or on bottle cages or tied to bike.. not my cup of tea but i can see why people would do it.. i wouldnt want to be clipped in going over some of the rough stuff either

With the longer run at the finish introduced this year it makes even more sense to wear trail shoes all day and not bother with cycling shoes. It's a 32km cycle including a rough section. How much time will you make up?

For this particular event changing shoes isn't optimal. There are up to 4 transitions where you would be changing shoes. The last cycle includes the skelp which may have to ran anyway. AND you will have to carry the trail shoes on the bike stages.

(In the likes of the Achill ROAR changing shoes makes sense)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I see. Thanks for the advice. Any particular toe clips you'd recommend - something with a similar effect to cycling clipless?

My plan had been to leave the cycling shoes in my bag with the bike. Quick change at that transition. Stick the trail runners into the bag and cycle - they're very light and bag is nice and small. Even quicker change at Croagh Patrick. And cycle the last section with the trail runners still on.

My only concer, as you identified, is the last section. Cycling shoes and you're playing with fire and require another change for the final run. Runners and clipless pedals are do-able but not ideal.

Might just go toe clips then. Don't fancy spending a fortune though... Am I in for a nasty surprise?!

woody1 wrote: »

not sure what your asking hence the over complicated explanation

ive only done it the once so im open to correction

you rack your bike the night before at delphi , then run / kakak / run to it, so i guess if using bike shoes you leave them on it,

bike to croagh patrick, leave your bike in the field ,change shoes, up and down and back to bike in the same place, change shoes back

bike then to westport, from the sounds of it the bike drop/transition here is on the green area at the quay, drop bike,change shoes again, run to westport house, when your finished you can go back and get your bike..

if you go with bike shoes, youl be carrying runners, be that in a bag or on bottle cages or tied to bike.. not my cup of tea but i can see why people would do it.. i wouldnt want to be clipped in going over some of the rough stuff either

I'm aware you leave your bike set up in Delphi the night before on bike racks, where you then collect from for the first cycle, based on pictures I have seen of the course, and some of the information read. But then other pics I have seen are those of bikes all lying in a feild, was not sure if this was at the base of Crough Patrick or after the final cycle. I have also read there is a slight route change at the end, I think bringing the runners through the town or finishing there. Hence the question,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The pic of them lying in the field would be Croagh Patrick.

You must remember also that you'll be switching between wet and muddy shoes so if you don't want to be wetting your cycling shoes you'll want changes of socks too.

I see. Thanks for the advice. Any particular toe clips you'd recommend - something with a similar effect to cycling clipless?.....
    Might just go toe clips then. Don't fancy spending a fortune though... Am I in for a nasty surprise?!

I just use a cheap pair of plastic pedals with a toe clip attached. The main thin is get a toe cage that allows the ball of your foot to be over the spindle of the pedal (as much as possible)
    If you only have your toes in the cage your calves with have to work harder and you'll need those for Croagh Patrick.

The other option is the power strap.
    Here's a link explaining the differences (he seems to dislike spd's? )
    http://www.cyclocamping.com/Bike_Parts__Accessories/review_power_grips_vs_std_vs_toe_clip_pedals_free/ARTI_powergrips_vs_STD_vs_toeclip-89.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

got toe clips in halfords , i got the strapless one and to be honest id be dubious whether they have any benefit..they fitted to the pedal handy enough..
    your pedal needs to have holes to fix the bolts through, sometimes theres a reflector that you can remove to allow you to fit them

i see they have ones with straps now as well..
    power strap looks interesting

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?srch=toe+clips&action=search&storeId=11101&catalogId=15551&langId=-1

Advertisement