Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ Commentary Noise

• 24-06-2014 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey guys! Something has been on my mind the last few days as I've found myself watching the World Cup on RTÉ for some strange reason (can't stand Andy Townsend) this year. Don't get me wrong I have always hated everything to do with Irish TV. The production value, the diabolical analysis of every game, the cheesiness of video montages & the just down right amatuer setup, getting player's name wrong all game etc. But I just wanted to ask if anyone has ever noticed the sound when watching on RTÉ? It's something I've noticed since I was a child. The horrible horrible droning noise of the crowd during games is awful. The best way to spot it is to switch directly back & forth from either BBC or ITV to RTÉ during the games & it's startling. The English stations have the crowd noise in check & the commentators just sound composed.

So it leads to the main question. Are these RTÉ commentators actually at the games? I know it's sounds like I'm conspiracy hunting but with all the dreadful noise it looks to me as if these guys are just sitting in a room in Dublin watching the game like the rest of us & just shouting over the noise from their monitors!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

George & Ray and Peter Colling & whoever is with him are out there/

The late games with Kerr are from a studio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Kerr is out there I'm pretty sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

kneemos wrote: »
    Kerr is out there I'm pretty sure.

he's not, he's constantly making off hand references to stuff; for example the other night he commented on the "program notes" that he wouldn't have had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

he's not, he's constantly making off hand references to stuff; for example the other night he commented on the "program notes" that he wouldn't have had.

Also in the match this evening about a decision the ref made that he didnt agree with - "well the ref's closer to the ball than I am"

Kerr is certainly out there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 BobC88

He could be in my attic for all we know. But my god he is dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I think the RTÉ coverage this year has been reasonable. The only commentary noise I find that's a bit off is Brian Kerr's endless rambling. The vuvuzelas actually weren't as bad. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I would have thought most of the RTE Commentary is from a broom cupboard in Montrose. The droning noise is probably one of the cleaning ladies vacuuming the floor.

Was looking at some of the staff figures for RTE v BBC/ITV. The UK stations have staff in the 100's between production/commentry/analysts, etc etc. RTEs is in the low double figures. RTE simply dont have the finances for sports broadcasting coming to their neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Also in the match this evening about a decision the ref made that he didnt agree with - "well the ref's closer to the ball than I am"

Unless Kerr was playing in the game that would be true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I would have thought most of the RTE Commentary is from a broom cupboard in Montrose. The droning noise is probably one of the cleaning ladies vacuuming the floor.

Was looking at some of the staff figures for RTE v BBC/ITV. The UK stations have staff in the 100's between production/commentry/analysts, etc etc. RTEs is in the low double figures. RTE simply dont have the finances for sports broadcasting coming to their neighbours.

And yet they do it better (arguably)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Call me crazy but I quite like Kerr's commentary

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The combinations are George Hamilton / Trevor Stevens, Peter Collins / Ray Houghton, Adrian Eames / Brian Kerr and Stephen Alkin / Jim Beglin with some additional commentary from John Kenny.
    Only Hamilton / Stevens and Collins / Houghton are in Brazil. The rest are broadcasting from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

The combinations are George Hamilton / Trevor Stevens, Peter Collins / Ray Houghton, Adrian Eames / Brian Kerr and Stephen Alkin / Jim Beglin with some additional commentary from John Kenny.
    Only Hamilton / Stevens and Collins / Houghton are in Brazil. The rest are broadcasting from Dublin.

They probably had a rock paper scissors competition to decide who went to Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Call me crazy but I quite like Kerr's commentary

I'm paraphrasing someone from another thread here- Mark Lawrenson thinks he's a comedian and is painfully unfunny, while Kerr is a comedic genius and doesn't even know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I thought all the RTE commentators were out there?

Advertisement