Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Forum Moderation tonight

Options
  • 24-06-2014 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

I'd just like to provide some feedback on what I see as over-zealous moderation on the Soccer Forum.

Tonight in the World Cup, Uruguay and Liverpool Luis Suarez player bit an Italian player. It is the third time in his career that he has done such an act. He bit a player while he was playing in Holland, and the season before last he bit a Chelsea player during a match.

This third incident is a major talking point, and absolutely deserves it's own thread.

A thread was indeed created, however the mod has deemed it correct to lock it, simply because of the wording used in the thread title. The exact wording is explicitly against charter, and can lead to cards and bans - however why has the mod not just changed the wording here?

The moderator is a Liverpool fan, and I feel this is directly influencing his decision making process here.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

But the mod linked directly to the charter thats been in place since Sept. 2012.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80997682&postcount=8

Updates to charter as a result of forum feedback. These will be kept here and also implemented into the charter in the relevant sections.

Anybody that starts a " Are Manager X & Team Y Done " will receive a 2 week ban, these threads are nothing but baiting and serve no other purpose than to wind up fans of whatever team they are aimed at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I know it's in the charter, but that thread is not baiting or a wind up, this is a player who has bitten other players, not one, not twice, but three times. It absolutely should be discussed on the soccer forum, if the mod is that put out by the thread title, then perhaps he should change it rather than shut down discussion completely, which just so happens to be about a player who plays for the club he supports.

It smacks of protectionism imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I wonder if op had just started the thread with different wording. Shame it was locked as it absolutely is a valid topic, whether it upsets fans or not. Rest of the world is discussing it, but not the soccer forum on boards. Seems draconian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I wonder if op had just started the thread with different wording. Shame it was locked as it absolutely is a valid topic, whether it upsets fans or not. Rest of the world is discussing it, but not the soccer forum on boards. Seems draconian.

It is being discussed in two threads already on the forum.

yes, the match thread and the Liverpool thread.

The "discussion" in the Liverpool thread is nothing but Liverpool fans derailing discussion of their lovable rogue. The Liverpool fans are doing their damndest to get the subject shut down, and the Liverpool supporting moderator is not being impartial.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Serious issue involving one of the biggest players in world football deserves it's own thread.

Which ones? Match thread, that supposedly have limited time before they are closed as per feedback thread.
    Liverpool super thread which would leave posters wide open to accusations of trolling.

If there are others I apologise.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Serious issue involving one of the biggest players in world football deserves it's own thread.

but because of a stupid technicality the thread is entirely shut down.

Is the thread title the issue? The subject matter?

It's not a "Liverpool thread" subject. It didn't happen in a Liverpool match, he just happens to play for Liverpool.

So that thread is not the place for it.

If it was a one off incidend, I could possibly see it being contained to the match thread, but it's the THIRD TIME that same player has bitten an opponent, and the whole topic is deserving of it's own thread, of course it is.

But a technicality gives the moderator a convenient excuse to shut the discussion down.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

To be pedantic, the charter states
    Anybody that starts a " Are Manager X & Team Y Done " will receive a 2 week ban,

And the thread in question didn't mention a manager or a team and doesn't follow the same topic as previous threads.

Topic certainly deserves its own thread anyway.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

yes, the match thread and the Liverpool thread.

The "discussion" in the Liverpool thread is nothing but Liverpool fans derailing discussion of their lovable rogue. The Liverpool fans are doing their damndest to get the subject shut down, and the Liverpool supporting moderator is not being impartial.

Not sure where you're getting the derailment from, fans in the superthread have been forthcoming in discussing what happened openly.

For now, the two threads are doing a fine job in containing a very volatile subject that is still in its infancy. Does it deserve it's own thread? Yeah, but I don't see the problem in letting the match thread and superthread deal with it for now, until some of the stakeholders in the issue (Suarez, Fifa, Cheillini etc) say their piece on the matter.

Otherwise you're just asking for a thread that fosters wild speculation based on nothing, I'm sure you wouldn't want that. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It's not a "Liverpool thread" subject. It didn't happen in a Liverpool match, he just happens to play for Liverpool.

So that thread is not the place for it.

If it was a one off incidend, I could possibly see it being contained to the match thread, but it's the THIRD TIME that same player has bitten an opponent, and the whole topic is deserving of it's own thread, of course it is.

But a technicality gives the moderator a convenient excuse to shut the discussion down.

Yup. Title should have been changed and thread left open.

If anything, the match thread needs locking and the discussion isolated, the match thread has descended into farce.

If anything, the match thread needs locking and the discussion isolated, the match thread has descended into farce.

In this moment in time would a dedicated thread be any less of a farce?

In this moment in time would a dedicated thread be any less of a farce?

Look, I get that you don't want to see a proper discussion of this subject, but it should be discussed and moderated properly.

That doesn't mean locking the thread about it because the thread title is technically against the charter.

Look, I get that you don't want to see a proper discussion of this subject, but it should be discussed and moderated properly.

That doesn't mean locking the thread about it because the thread title is technically against the charter.

Eh? I just said it should get its own thread, when more has been said about it by those involved. A FIFA statement for example would be nice before starting a thread.

At least that would give the discussion some sort of focal point, without one the thread is just coming to be full of vitriol and hyperbole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd see nothing wrong with a thread either, maybe the mods are a bit auto-reactive about this sort of thing. Its news.

Perhaps a Mod can start one in the morning when a few statements have been issued by interested parties.

(not sure I'd call them STAKEholders though! :pac:)

How far is Roy out of his depth (I refuse to write it the same as that OP did) sits there happily on the forum yet is tantamount to the same thing as is he done yet. So the wording is everything and content nothing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The Liverpool fans are doing their damndest to get the subject shut down, and the Liverpool supporting moderator is not being impartial.

As the resident Man United fan on the forum's mod team, can I just say that trying to bring who the mods support into the discussion doesn't change the fact the post was in breech of the charter. If Kess hadn't locked it, I would have.

There's already a full discussion of the incident going on in the match thread. There's very little that any new thread, regardless of title, would have brought to the table, at least until there's a development about it outside of the match itself. Soft Falling Rain is right, the two threads (and being honest, there's other threads discussing it as well) are more than enough for now, and as the story develops, new topics may then become nessecary.

In the meanwhile, there's a method to discuss what happened in the match and the effects it could have on his career, taking on board the fact it's a repeat offence, without needing to start another thread that would, right now, simply repeat everything that's already been covered elsewhere.

So it's the wording used and not the subject matter?

This is extremely inconsistent moderation.

I understand the subject will be hard to moderate, but surely having the topic spread across multiple threads will make it HARDER to moderate than if all discussion was kept to one thread?

Also, allowing the discussion to continue with Liverpool fans making ridiculous strawman arguments, making up silly scenarios in an attempt to appeal to the bizarre to ridicule and shout down anyone who dares to question the actions of their hero, and the mod in question has shut down the topic because he didn't like it.

• Advertisement

Just about the incident not being about LFC and that's why it instantly must have its on thread like right now - we all know LFC is going to be a central point of any potential thread, so it seems a little hypocritical to use such reasoning as justification for separating the discussion from the superthread.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Should have its own thread on really. The Liverpool thread doesn't allow proper discussion within the charter rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »

That one hasn't started particularly well admittedly! Wasn't a lot wrong with the old thread though title aside.

mike65 wrote: »

Quality 'proper' discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

There really isn't a lot to say beyond 'it was a bite'/'no it wasn't' at this stage to be fair and that probably has the potential to descend into a train wreck of Tay Bridge proportions particularly when you consider the relaxed entry policy of the soccer forum during the world cup. It's probably best to keep things as they are until anything else becomes clear.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Lord TSC wrote: »
    As the resident Man United fan on the forum's mod team, can I just say that trying to bring who the mods support into the discussion doesn't change the fact the post was in breech of the charter. If Kess hadn't locked it, I would have.

I'd like to add here that if Kess or Lord TSC hadn't locked it, I would have. To bring the support or supposed bias of the mod into question is misguided.

I honestly don't see how dumping the fallout in the Liverpool thread is going to be an improvement on the thread that was running. I wouldn't want it if I were a Liverpool fan. The way it is now you are directing people right toward where it would annoy the most.

Still, I appreciate soccer mods taking the time to reply. All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The user that started it stated in his OP the below :
    A great player but today we witnessed another display of the disgusting behaviour of Luis Suarez, the fact he has bitten a player for a second time shows that he hasn't learned his lesson or is seriously mentally ill and a more serious punishment or treatment is warranted, if you or I did that to someone in our everyday lives it would be classed as grievous bodily harm and either jail term or a time in a mental institution would be warranted , a 6 months to a years ban from club and international football is the absolute minimum punishment that he should face, only the most ardent of Liverpool fans can defend this, what's your opinion?

So basically a Utd fan has started a thread thats going to open up a sh*t ton of trolling/flaming and ye want it to be allowed?

For what reason? The thread would last 2 maybe 3 posts before it would descend into anarchy while people either a) back him to hilt or b) get their pound of flesh.

I'd allow a thread for reasoned debate, no problem but everyone in here knows we'd have the thread closed in a few posts after multiple cards and bannins so we can either ban dozens of ye for inevitably getting involved or we can shut it down at source with minimum cards/bans.

I can start a thread and issue a once off warning that any trolling will be actioned with a ban and we can see how long it lasts but the long and short of it is Suarez has bit a player for the 3rd time, seemingly, what more do you want to say? Everything else will fall into trolling or winding up one side of the Utd/Liverpool divide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Tbh it will always be a Lfc related thread because many are calling for an unprecedented club and international ban, so therefor Lfc related. I don't see that much wrong with the match thread, you'll get a few outlandish posters on both sides, that'll happen anyway. I'd agree it probably deserves its own thread, but I wouldn't ban it to just one. The Lfc and Arsenal threads have discussion but that's because they have obvious links and are easy enough to mod.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement