Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Forum Moderation tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I absolutely disagree. Our charter (and pretty much every charter on this site) is basically just the Boards FAQ/TOU contextualized.

Lol, no it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Why was a new charter implemented? I know the card system was changed, fair enough, but why not just add the extra few points to the existing charter instead of suspending, then reinstating, editing, title changes, etc. Seems like an absolute mess at this stage

Discussed at length here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057229650
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Both charters are in place as of last night, all the WC charter states is rather than your usual season long totting up process it's now 2 yellows equals a 1 month ban. The rules on trolling/abuse/backseat modding etc. are still the same.

The main charter was removed originally to make it easier, but then we realised we had nowhere to refer people to regarding the rules on abuse etc. so we put it up again.

It was pretty much a mistake on our part and I apologise for any confusion caused.

TL/DR: Basically the over all rules are the same but there is now a 2 strike rule for the duration of the tournament.
    The main charter is very, very long for boards. We wanted to bring the forum more in line with the rest of the site (and fora in general) by making it as simple as possible for the expected traffic from people who had never used the soccer forum before. Not quite to the extreme of the suggestions in the feedback to only have one rule ("don't be a dick"), but a step in that direction.

The overwhelming majority (as in, very very overwhelming majority) of the trouble has come from people who already had access. I will still reserve my full judgement until the end of the tournament, but I'm still pretty happy with how it's going so far. This isn't an exact science, we can't predict everything. I'm glad the move was made to put the full charter back, for what it's worth. Hasn't been an avalanche of cards/reports like some people expected.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

gandalf wrote: »
    TBH having been in situations like this when I modded Soccer I don't see the problem with the original lock. The way that thread was phrased was an attempt at trolling and not discussion. Add to that the fact that the soccer forum is not operating under its normal restrictions then I don't see what option the mods had.

This I agree with. It's not about the wording, who the mod supports or technicalities or inconsistency.

Those threads are in the charter and clamped down upon because of the direction they head in, whether it be Guardiola, Moyes, Benitez, Wenger, Mourinho or anyone else subject of it in the past. It is typically started by a fan of another team, usually a rival team. Everytime a thread like it is started, there is a flurry of reported posts, demanding both the OP and thread be treated like every other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

As expected the Suarez part 2 thread went well.

Riddled with posters unable to follow the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

rarnes1 wrote: »

People got their digs in and out of their system, sure that's all that matters. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

rarnes1 wrote: »

I think everyone expected it to be a lot worse in fairness. Didn't see too many cards considering the volume of posts in one day and the subject matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I think everyone expected it to be a lot worse in fairness. Didn't see too many cards considering the volume of posts in one day and the subject matter.

Decent modding that's why.

Can't be that hard to type a sentence without typing scum or whatever,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

It started out as an interesting enough discussion but it descended into the tribalism that some love and others hate about football. I suppose given the lack of development with the story there are only so many ways you can say the same thing without tribalism kicking in.

P_1 wrote: »
    It started out as an interesting enough discussion but it descended into the tribalism that some love and others hate about football. I suppose given the lack of development with the story there are only so many ways you can say the same thing without tribalism kicking in.

It was civil for the most part. As rarnes said, a few unnecessary uses of the word scum but that was about the height of it. I enjoy the outrage and the staunch defiance to be honest, all a bit of harmless fun to me although I appreciate it might be tough on the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Pro. F wrote: »
    Also, since the SF charter was not re-instated last week and yet the mods have been modding according to it for a week during the biggest tournament in the sport, there is a serious problem. Cards and bans have no doubt been issued under the SF charter in that time. Any bans, cards or warnings that were issued under the SF Charter in that time need to be rescinded.
    I absolutely disagree. Our charter (and pretty much every charter on this site) is basically just the Boards FAQ/TOU contextualized.

Right, it's been half a day since I brought this point up and this remains the only mod response. Since there have been a few SF mods on this thread in that time and none have offered any other response, I'm going to assume that this is the official SF mod team position. So I'll respond to it in more detail now.

The SF charter is clearly a lot more than just a contextualisation of the Boards FAQ/TOU. The charter has been shaped by a formalised feedback process based on the experiences and preferences of the SF posters and mods. This process has been going on for years. The SF charter is full of intricacies that are not simply interpretations of the site FAQ/TOU in the SF context, but rather agreements and compromises that the users and mods of the forum have found to work for their forum.

There are a lot of things that are allowed under the site FAQ/TOU but explicitly banned under the SF charter, often with mandatory punishments attached.

With regard to the modding that brought about this thread: It is only the SF charter where "Are Manager X & Team Y Done" threads are banned, they are not banned in the FAQ/TOU. In fact, those threads are obviously allowed by the site FAQ/TOU, that is how they were common before the SF ban.

We were told that the SF charter was suspended for the duration of the WC. The mods decided to reverse that decision but did not manage to communicate that at all effectively to the forum users. Shadowcomplex started a thread which was not prohibited by the site-wide charter that he was told the forum was operating under at this time. The mods, disregarding the charter instructions they had given to forum users, close his thread and give him a two week ban for a breach of the SF charter. A two week ban in the middle of the biggest tournament in the sport.

I can understand the mistake happening. It's a busy time on the forum and the charter change was a confusing issue. But upholding that ban, and the other bans, once the mod team's mistake has been shown is outrageous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ah here, that's not true and you know it. And that it isn't true is part of the reason the forum works as well as it does most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

All I can say is if Suarez gets any sort of punitive punishment when FIFA as expected make an announcement later on today you could see a meltdown occurring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

gandalf wrote: »
    All I can say is if Suarez gets any sort of punitive punishment when FIFA as expected make an announcement later on today you could see a meltdown occurring.

I think if he receives a punishment that is perceived as "light" is when any meltdown could occur.

Or, of course, if he receives a long-term ban from ALL football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Whatever happens the place will go mental

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Run for cover, she's gonna blow! :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I think the result of the decision to open the forum to everybody is being realised now. The amount of name calling of posters and players is getting out of hand. Also, it's fairly obvious some posters are re-regging and picking up from where they left off after their ban.

I think the result of the decision to open the forum to everybody is being realised now. The amount of name calling of posters and players is getting out of hand. Also, it's fairly obvious some posters are re-regging and picking up from where they left off after their ban.

Aye, but TBH certain regular posters aren't covering themselves in glory either. This incident has brought out the worst in the forum as it's clear to me that there are some posters just sitting with baited breath waiting for something like this happens.

Aye, but TBH certain regular posters aren't covering themselves in glory either. This incident has brought out the worst in the forum as it's clear to me that there are some posters just sitting with baited breath waiting for something like this happens.

True enough but the name calling seems to be all from people just unaware of the charter in the soccer forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Well Boards lost it's highest ever poster due to a pretty silly yellow card it seems. Common sense really needs to prevail with a lot of the modding & not just the black & white text in the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Soups123

Kunkka wrote: »
    Well Boards lost it's highest ever poster due to a pretty silly yellow card it seems. Common sense really needs to prevail with a lot of the modding & not just the black & white text in the charter.

The card system is there for all it shouldnt matter how many posts a user has its same rules for all. If he was that disapointed with it he would have went to DRP I doubt after all this time he would throw is toys out of the pram, he might have decided it was time for a refresh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Kunkka wrote: »

Do you have a link to that post? There's a thread about him in After Hours and some of us are wondering why he committed e-suicide.

Edit*

Found it earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

The soccer forum should be modded by people who have no interest in soccer. It's really that simple. Otherwise you get bias like what we saw here. It happens constantly.

Mods are diehard fans of their teams and get riled up when fans of other teams have a go. It's human....but its wrong and is easily avoidable. Having a Liverpool fan modding a United thread is akin to have an atheist mod the Christianity forum. It's asking for trouble.

Allegiances should be left at the door and they aren't. So the correct thing to do is for people with zero interest in sport to mod. Then, posts get judged on their merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The soccer forum should be modded by people who have no interest in soccer. It's really that simple. Otherwise you get bias like what we saw here. It happens constantly.

Mods are diehard fans of their teams and get riled up when fans of other teams have a go. It's human....but its wrong and is easily avoidable. Having a Liverpool fan modding a United thread is akin to have an atheist mod the Christianity forum. It's asking for trouble.

Allegiances should be left at the door and they aren't. So the correct thing to do is for people with zero interest in sport to mod. Then, posts get judged on their merit.

The man speaks sense not that anyone will listen. In the past Soccer has had a certain bias against certain posters due to the make up of moderation team .

I don't know all of the current mods or their allegiance but From my time posting on soccer I do recognise some as being anything but unbiased supporters of a certain team who's supporters have always been in the majority on the mod team.

The above is an excellent suggestion IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Speaking of old users I see the muppet thanking a post, is he life time banned from the SF?

Regarding Mike, he decided to close his account so meh tbh, I blame Suarez myself. Although I'm guessing it will be regretted down the line given the post count, how come you can't reactivate closed accounts anyhow?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Pro.f predicted suspending the charter would result in confusion, and he was proven right, how can a Moderator lock a thread and ban a user for not breaking any rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

RasTa wrote: »
    Speaking of old users I see the muppet thanking a post, is he life time banned from the SF?

Regarding Mike, he decided to close his account so meh tbh, I blame Suarez myself. Although I'm guessing it will be regretted down the line given the post count, how come you can't reactivate closed accounts anyhow?

Yes I am perm banned Rasta since 2011. Did you miss the witch hunt ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

An atheist does currently mod the Christianity forum. Works fine. Mods are chosen because they're generally considered to be able to mod without bias. Just because a mod who's a Liverpool fan infracts or bans a poster who's a United fan, doesn't mean there was any bias in the decision, and if the poster feels there was they can always contact another mod, or use the DRP function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

There is definitely bias from the mod team as I've not once got a card from a fellow United fan...
    The Muppet wrote: »
    Yes I am perm banned Rasta since 2011. Did you miss the witch hunt ?

Yeah must have, was in Colombia and Thailand for most of 2011 so not checking here.

Suggesting that the mods can't do a good job because of allegiances is inaccurate tbh, and an assumption made by those who probably don't use the forum that much. Mars Bar, a Man United fan for example, is someone I had much respect for and rated as a mod when she modded the Soccer Forum. Gavred, a Chelsea fan, is another who I feel does a fine job. I'm a Liverpool fan for context.

The guys all do a fine job regardless of who they support, I would have thought that was evident by how smoothly the forum runs. I don't think those who are vocal about changes they want in the forum can even disagree with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

RasTa wrote: »
    There is definitely bias from the mod team as I've not once got a card from a fellow United fan...

Yeah must have, was in Colombia and Thailand for most of 2011 so not checking here.

I've 3 yellows on the soccer forum and they've come from 2 Liverpool fans, coincidental I'm sure...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement