Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of cake stays fresh the longest?

Options
  • 24-06-2014 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

I have a cake to do for this coming sunday and I have to travel for 3 + hours in the car to get to the location. (in this humidity!!)

I wonder what the best type of cake is to make and Ice for Saturday as it is a family event and I will be staying in a hotel the night before the event!! I have made a CBC in the past and it lasted well so was thinking of doing that again maybe and one other flavour??

I hope to do a small 2 tier cake covered in fondant.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

I've made cakes with syrup poured over them. It tends to preserve them. You could try Rachel Allen's Almond and Orange Syrup cake. When made the syrup might seem like a lot, and it nearly makes the cake feel too moist, but that's the way it's supposed to be. Keeps up to a week no problems. I've made it 5 times now and have always been complimented so hopefully that'll suit! (It tastes a bit like a giant jaffa cake!).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

You could just make any old cake and brush the layers in a good amount of simple syrup and you'd be grand I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

CBC will last the longest for sure. But if you're looking to do a butter sponge type cake than any oil based recipe will stay moist for longer. Simple syrup will definitely keep it moister for longer too.
    If you want an amazing chocolate cake check out Paul Bradford's recipe on his website www.designer-cakes.com, it's a bit expensive to bake but it's sooooo worth it :-) His or Jane Horby's are the best I've ever used.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

I ended up making a 2 tier CBC. What would be the best way to travel with it in the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Put it in the boot in a box and right up against the back of seats so that if you brake it goes nowhere. Make sure there is nothing in the boot that will fall on or bang into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

Thanks, It arrived safe and sound!

Advertisement