Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10 days in and around Berlin

• 25-06-2014 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi all, looking for some suggestions. I have 10 days holidays in August and would like to see some of Europe. The only definite in my plan is Berlin. Can anyone suggest another place or places to go along with Berlin? Maybe other cities that work well with Berlin and would be easy to travel to? Or else are there any more countryside/beachy places near Berlin that would be nice to pair along with it? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Dresden is lovely - day trip from Berlin, two hours on the train. Take a river trip while you're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dia squish

Would Berlin & Prague be doable in 10 days? What about Berlin & Prague & Munich?

Don't think this is really appropriate for the Things to do in... board, can it be moved back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jennah3

Hello Dia, why you don't chose a train journey? I did it last year and it was fantastic, for me I rented an apartment in Berlin via city-getaway.com/en/apartments-to-rent-in-Berlin/3 , then join on a train journey to visit as much places as I could. Good Luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

dia squish wrote: »
    Would Berlin & Prague be doable in 10 days? What about Berlin & Prague & Munich?
    you could even fit in Hamburg in 10 days, say
    2 days Hamburg
    3 days Berlin
    2 days Prague
    3 days Munich
    The only thing is that you'd want to be fairly well planned out for that sort of itinerary and get early/ late as possible trains to the next destination to avoid wasting the best parts of the day on a train.
    i.e. theres a 5.15am train from Prague to Munich getting in at 11.15am. Sounds early, but you can sleep on the train and you arrive at 11.15 with plenty of time for sighseeing or whatever.
    Or 6.40am from Berlin getting to Prague at 11.30.
    check bahn.de for train timetables + prices (abeit Prague Munich ticket can be got cheaper if you buy on czech rail).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

dia squish wrote: »

I'm smiling at your question because my wife and I did an American style (cram as much as possible into a vacation) trip several years ago. In 11 days we visited Berlin, Prague, Budapest, Vienna, and Bratislava.

I agree that Dresden is definitely worth visiting and less popular with tourists.

I hesitate to recommend Prague in August as the city is overrun with tourists for most of the year and summer is probably the worst. With the excellent train system in Germany you can get to most places easily enough if you don't have to fly back from Berlin. Otherwise day trips to Dresden, Leipzig, Potsdam, and Gorlitz are all worthwhile.

Thanks for replies. Don't want to squeeze in too many cities because we'd like a fair amount of time in Berlin. Everyone says they wished they had more time there! Now considering Prague & Berlin or else Munich & Berlin... Bit wary of all the tourists in Prague!

Advertisement