Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone encountered or seen an assault like this?

Options
  • 25-06-2014 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I was walking to a bus stop near st stephens green with my friends, 4 of us including a girl, on St Patricks night this year at about 7 or 8 (not the best idea!). When we reached the corner opposite the shelbourne hotel, there was a begger sitting up against the phonebox and she mumbles something like "Yea them" to two shady characters standing opposite her. Me being at the front of the group they walk towards me. One of them asks if i have any money i say i dont and continue walking. The thug who asked if i had any money mumbles a few explicits and blindsides me. I was hit on the head behind my left ear and he then hits my friend square on the cheek which causes him to bleed for a while. At this point we all run and nothing else happens. I just made this to see if anyone else encountered a 'shakedown' from any thugs who works with these 'beggars'. This kind of crime makes me really angry and i just hope that they did not do this to tourists or anyone else for that matter

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I hope you reported it to the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dragons imagine

spurious wrote: »
    I hope you reported it to the police.

Yes we did we gave statements and then filed a report

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I doubt it's the first or last time they have done it. Since you reported it, the police can be more aware of what's going on, but even if they were to prosecute them and take them to court, they would either be out the same day or very shortly afterwards.

Raising awareness is probably the easiest way to deal with it, or hope one day they meet someone who can give them some of their own medicine with a bit of interest, but that can be risky as many of these types carry weapons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Does nobody fight back anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

chopper6 wrote: »

Tough guy, eh!? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Nothing will be done about terrible but true.

Dunno what your occupation/life is like that you could afford to take the risk of getting into a fight with a scumbag junk. They could literally kill you and be out in a few years. Not to mention a risk of contracting something.

Isn't there supposed to be a force, essentially policing things? You know, the police?

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Dunno what your occupation/life is like that you could afford to take the risk of getting into a fight with a scumbag junk. They could literally kill you and be out in a few years. Not to mention a risk of contracting something.

Isn't there supposed to be a force, essentially policing things? You know, the police?

If people defended themselves instead of sliding off to the police at the slightest thing then scumbags might rethink thier strategy of attacking randomers.

You dont need to "get into a fight" but verbally sticking up for yourself goes a long way as well as body language..this business of walking around with your head down afraid to make eye contact is what actually makes people look like victims.

Most scumbags will ONLY target weak people..they will generally run off at the slightest hint of a confrontation prefering to concentrate on people who wont stick up for themselves.

I hear the same nonsense about schoolkids "If those bold boys call you names go and tell the teacher"...yeah right..no the kid is not only spineless he's also a tattle-tale...give the bullies a clatter back and they'll leave you the hell alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

If people defended themselves instead of sliding off to the police at the slightest thing then scumbags might rethink thier strategy of attacking randomers.

What does sliding off to the police mean?

What does sliding off to the police mean?

It means taking a punch in the head because you have no self-awareness and then demanding that the overstretched police force drop everything to bring the perpetrators to justice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

There is a lot to be said for standing up to these scumbags, but we should keep in mind that not everybody would have the wherewithal or the psychological attitude to do so. Most normal people detest confrontation and will do almost anything to avoid it.

It means taking a punch in the head because you have no self-awareness and then demanding that the overstretched police force drop everything to bring the perpetrators to justice.

It's important that all crime is reported. Your taking liberties in exaggeration implying that anyone wanted the garda to drop everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Your body may be a finely honed combat machine, but that's not the case for most people. They, quite rightly, choose to run to safety when confronted by an unknown threat instead of putting their lives on the line. And this is exactly what I would advise anyone to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭BeatlesFan1992

People carry around all sorts these days. Wouldn't even be worth frighting back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I'd rather run and not risk getting stabbed or syringed, thank you very much. A regular person has a lot more to lose than a group of thugs like in the OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Sky.

Yes.

If you try to fight back then what would you do if they have a knife or attack you more?.
    Or if there's 5 thugs and just you.

To stay alive you must run to escape.

cmhc.utexas.edu/stressrecess/animations/fofmovie-start.swf

Aard wrote: »
    I'd rather run and not risk getting stabbed or syringed, thank you very much. A regular person has a lot more to lose than a group of thugs like in the OP.

A group of thugs?

The OP's group outnumbered them but still ran for thier lives.

Bonedigger wrote: »
    This all sounds nonsense to me.The intelligent thing to do is move quickly away.You're the sort of lad/ladette that would probably have got a stabbing because you decided to act the hero....or more likely the sort that would s**t themselves if it happened to you.:D

Well i'm 43 and i havnt been stabbed yet.

People confuse sticking up for yourself with acting the hero...it's shocking to hear the cowardice emanting from folk these days...the sight of a tracksuit is enough to stop some people ever leaving the house again.

A group of thugs?

The OP's group outnumbered them but still ran for thier lives.

Yeah, they ran off and got on with their lives. What would have happened had they stayed and fought? If the scum produced a weapon? If they kicked the **** out of the scum and ended up in a cell themselves? If they ended up in hospital or with facial scarring?

The only outcomes of a confrontation in the op's situation are all negative. Running is the only safe choice in this country - like I said, they could kill you and be out in a few years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Sky.

the sight of a tracksuit is enough to stop some people ever leaving the house again.

bahhhaaahhahah

• Advertisement

Well i'm 43 and i havnt been stabbed yet.

People confuse sticking up for yourself with acting the hero...it's shocking to hear the cowardice emanting from folk these days...the sight of a tracksuit is enough to stop some people ever leaving the house again.

Thats why I don't hang mine up on the washing line. I'd be afraid to go out to the garden! Fact.

Its quite telling that the (female) beggar pointed the OPs group out to her cohorts as likely victims...looking like victims is never a good start and their behaviour in fleeing the area proved her to be correct.

Let me just clarify a few things here my 3 friends and I Are 15 or 16 i and one of my friends are tall ish the other two are of average height. Even with my height these two guys were a bit taller, heavier and stronger. It was dark and happened in the space of 20-30 seconds from seeing the beggar to running away. You dont have time to think and you react by human instinct which is run.

Let me just clarify a few things here my 3 friends and I Are 15 or 16 i and one of my friends are tall ish the other two are of average height. Even with my height these two guys were a bit taller, heavier and stronger. It was dark and happened in the space of 20-30 seconds from seeing the beggar to running away. You dont have time to think and you react by human instinct which is run.

Well in that case I apologise for being too hasty.

I had no idea you were only kids...mugging children is reprehensible and I hope the perpetrators are paid back 100-fold.

You guys did the right thing.

Well in that case I apologise for being too hasty.

I had no idea you were only kids...mugging children is reprehensible and I hope the perpetrators are paid back 100-fold.

You guys did the right thing.

You dont have to apologise i didnt mention our ages, my bad.... But you do have a valid point i do kinda kick myself for not doing anything, although it wouldn't of worked here but what is done is done

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Its quite telling that the (female) beggar pointed the OPs group out to her cohorts as likely victims...looking like victims is never a good start and their behaviour in fleeing the area proved her to be correct.

I do get what you're saying about walking with confidence/not looking like a victim, but at the same time you're almost blaming the victims in this case, as if they 'had it coming' - which isn't exactly right.

The world is full of a variety of people. Big strong people, small meek people and a million in between.

Sure, it's nice to hear of a scumbag getting a thrashing, but its just not possible for a lot of people.

You dont have to apologise i didnt mention our ages, my bad.... But you do have a valid point i do kinda kick myself for not doing anything but what is done is done

You're better off not tangling with scumbags that are older and larger at your age.

maybe join a boxing or martial arts club and give yourself some confidence back.

Whatever,you were right to get away from the situation...karma is a bitch and these people will get their just deserts sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Rojomcdojo wrote: »

Ah, their just or tax marches and protests of water meters, oh and the odd bit of standing outside the dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

That German guy who was killed in Rialto should give you a good idea as to why looking to fight back is not always a wise idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement