Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension cost ball park?

Options
  • 25-06-2014 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all
    Just looking for some advice
    I have been giving some thought to making some changes to our house. We bought it new about 5 years ago and over the years I've realised little things I'd like to change, ie make the house more open plan. An architect has done up some ideas for us and were happy with what he has come up with. The house is 2000sq ft so doesn't need a massive extension, more so in need of moving some rooms around.
    The extension size we were thinking of was 2.5m out from rear wall of house and 8.5 in length. This would be for a kitchen and utility. It would also be taking in some existing space from the original house.
    So we have a max budget of €40k and I'm just wondering does this sound possible?
    We would need to obviously knock quite a bit of the rear wall of the house and also move the hotpress/boiler and a downstairs bathroom too. We would want bifold or similar type doors and probably velux windows in the extension.
    The architect said we would need to estimate about €1500 per sq mtr but I don't know what kind of finish this would give us- would this be fully finished, tiled, floored etc or would we still need thousands on top of this for all the finishes. I know the finishes can be where all the expense goes but we would be reusing kitchen appliances and sanitaryware for bathroom. We would be hoping to get new kitchen within the €40k budget. He said this would be possible but I'm not sure i fully believe him.
    Any advice would be appreciated before we move to the next step- no point getting plans drawn up and going to builders for prices if we are completely dreaming!

Also the house is block construction- does this mean extension has to be or could it be timber framed? Thanks for reading

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

IMHO Anywhere between 40/200k and completely dependant on what you have specified and the extent of works to the existing house.get 3 quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

BryanF wrote: »
    IMHO Anywhere between 40/200k and completely dependant on what you have specified and the extent of works to the existing house.get 3 quotes

Bryan I love the honesty of the answer....... perfectly true

Advertisement