Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for 500g of pork mince

Options
  • 25-06-2014 8:31am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Never had pork mince before got some shopping so looking for any ideas please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I really enjoy this Green Chili from the Cooking Club

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I made this recently and it was lovely. http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/01/teriyaki-meatball-bowls/ i did add some chilli to the meatballs as i like a little heat in asian food.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I usually use equal quantities of beef and pork mince for lasagna and meatballs, but I defrosted 500g of pork mince once by itself thinking it was beef. I fried it with onions, grated carrot and a little garlic, added some flour and stock, seasoned it and made it into a pie with shortcrust pastry. It tasted great, and the leftovers froze really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Mixing it with beef mince is definitely a good idea.
    I made these a few weeks ago and they were excellent

http://www.redonline.co.uk/food/recipes/chilli-beef-lettuce-wraps

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I made a version of Yuk Sung once which turned out pretty tasty.
    I kind of made it up as I went along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

I make pork meatballs, with chili flakes, ground fennel seed, dried basil and plenty of salt and pepper. Some breadcrumbs mixed in lightens them nicely. They're great with puttanesca sauce in particular. I roast them on a baking tray or, if I'm bothered cleaning it, a mini muffin tray, but you could just as happily cook them in your sauce.

Full on Sunday Sauce with pork bone ragu and meatballs takes hours and hours, but is great. I make meatballs for that with half pork, half beef and some breadcrumbs again.

You could also make thai flavoured patties to serve with noodles or in wraps - blend up garlic, shallots or scallions, ginger, lemongrass and red chili and mix it into the pork. Form little patties and let it set up in the fridge for a bit, then fry or oven roast until golden.

I love pork mince, buy it every week, as if you couldn't tell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Where I'm from we make meatballs with pork mince, grated potato, and mint/parsley. Then we fry this until dark brown in colour. serve with chips and a nice salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭logically

Make a chilli with the pork mince. When cooked put layer of it on top of some nachos (the cheesey ones from Lidl are good), put some chopped tomatoes on top along with fresh coriander and jalapenos. Bung on a layer of cheese - stick in oven for 15/20 mins. Very moreish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Today I'm going to do a Thai style pork mince and prawn dish.

The paste will be shallot, spring onion white bits, ginger, lemon grass, galangal, garlic, green chilli, ground coriander seed and a little cumin.

I'll probably put in sugar snaps or some other green veg.

I'll thin it with some coconut milk and chicken stock.

To serve, I'll add chopped mint, coriander, lime zest, green spring onion, some tomato concassé and maybe some chopped chilli.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

i have made this a few times http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/1033/rag--bolognese.aspx?o_is=LV

mixed pork n beef, pork only also dont worry if you dont have all the ingreddients. think i only made it once with them all, and about 10 times missing different bits n pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I also mix pork and beef mince to make an unbelievable meatloaf

On phone ATM but will post up a recipe later on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

I make this pork meatball curry all the time. Really tasty!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/porkmeatballswithcur_87389

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

Not an official recipe, so it has no name and barely any measurements - you just wing it as you go and cater to your own tastes and preferences. This is an insanely popular dinner request in my house and its perfect for a quick and easy dinner.

Fry up the pork mince (I use a cooking pot which does for the whole meal and cuts down on clean up) and once its cooked I add in some taco seasoning (we like a lot of it in our house!) and a few shakes of chili powder (not finding the taco seasoning to be hot enough) and let that cook for another minute or two. I then throw in about half of one of the small jars of old el paso salsa (again, more or less depending on your tastes) a splash of water (I have a shot glass near the sink and I use 2/3 of those) and then rice - now with the rice I've cooked rice just for this dish and I've also really cheated (late, late dinner on a very hot evening!) and used the microwave pouches of rice (which, I have to sadly admit were a lot nicer than the rice I cooked up! - I use the egg fried rice if using the pouches, find it gives it a bit of an asian vibe along with the mexican) - mix all that up in your pot and I leave mine to cook on the lowest heat setting for about 10-15 minutes (or, in my house, the amount of time it takes the fryer to heat up and to cook some wedges)

I'm sure there's a name or something proper for this combination of things but darned if I know it! I've also done this same dish with beef mince and turkey mince and each has been equally lovely - its one of those great dishes you literally cannot go wrong with! Throw in some onions or veggies or expand it however you like!

Advertisement