Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyre pressure gauge

• 25-06-2014 8:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭

Anyone have them they can recommend? I normally use the forecourt ones but they're a pain getting connected and I hear they're not very accurate?

I'd be tempted to buy one of those battery units that also inflates tyres and has a pressure gauge if the gauge would be reliable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Most people opt for the analouge ones but I got the digital one in Halfords and its very good.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_786153_langId_-1_categoryId_212481

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭CNTRLR

i have the draper expert one, got it from amazon, its an analogue but i find it very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

They have this one in tk max at the moment... very accurate and portable :) only about a fiver too!!

draper-69923-handheld-tyre-pressure-00068236M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

I have this draper one. The hose and angled tip make it easy to get to the valve on the bike. Quality piece of kit.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/44185/draper-tyre-pressure-gauge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I use a digital one that I keep in my pocket. I would also recommed the air compressor that aldi do for €70. Its great for tyres and other bits and bobs like the kids pool footballs and air mattress. Either way if you buy a portable gauge, always work off this unit and dont rely on a garage gauge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Heathen wrote: »
    They have this one in tk max at the moment... very accurate and portable :) only about a fiver too!!

draper-69923-handheld-tyre-pressure-00068236M.jpg
    My gauge just caved, might pop in and grab this thanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

I have the Halfords motorcycle one the one with the right angled head to gat at the valves on the bikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

leppla wrote: »
    I have this draper one. The hose and angled tip make it easy to get to the valve on the bike. Quality piece of kit.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/44185/draper-tyre-pressure-gauge

We've got one like this with a flexible hose. The flexible hose makes things far easier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

serious3 wrote: »
    I have the Halfords motorcycle one the one with the right angled head to gat at the valves on the bikes

Why don't they put right-angled valves on bikes? Checking pressure at a filling station is a f'n balls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Pique wrote: »
    Why don't they put right-angled valves on bikes? Checking pressure at a filling station is a f'n balls!

I would imagine it would offset the balance or put pressure on the valve at speeds.

I carry one of these in my pocket, I dont like leaving it on the valve, just screw it on when needed and take it off when done.

$_12.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

cost methinks

a lot of triumphs come with them as stock

Yep I have them on my 2010 Sprint and they are a god send, I also had them on my old FZ6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I had a digital draper years ago. I think most motor factors would have them, even the likes of some electronics shops or motorcycles would have them failing that, amazon, ebay etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

i got a €10 one in halfords and it works a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,382 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I use a digital one that I keep in my pocket. I would also recommed the air compressor that aldi do for €70. Its great for tyres and other bits and bobs like the kids pool footballs and air mattress. Either way if you buy a portable gauge, always work off this unit and dont rely on a garage gauge.

€70!!! Does that include a booster battery? Way overpriced if not.

I got a Michelin 12V compressor in Woodies a few years ago for half that, comes with a removable digital pressure gauge and adaptors for toys etc. The air pumps that go at bike shows for a tenner or so do the same job, just slower, and the gauge isn't likely to be too accurate.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

ninja900 wrote: »
    €70!!! Does that include a booster battery? Way overpriced if not.

I got a Michelin 12V compressor in Woodies a few years ago for half that, comes with a removable digital pressure gauge and adaptors for toys etc. The air pumps that go at bike shows for a tenner or so do the same job, just slower, and the gauge isn't likely to be too accurate.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-1st-may/product-detail/ps/p/portable-compressor/

Might be overpriced but I get great use out of it. Kids pool and air mattresses etc etc. Its very portable and just plugs into a normal socket. No maintenance required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Just get a bicycle floor pump, I use one and it's very handy. It's only a bit of extra effort if you have to pump from very low/ flat, otherwise it takes no time to check the pressure and pump a little more air in if needed. The Gauge is accurate too.

zubair wrote: »
    Just get a bicycle floor pump, I use one and it's very handy. It's only a bit of extra effort if you have to pump from very low/ flat, otherwise it takes no time to check the pressure and pump a little more air in if needed. The Gauge is accurate too.

You mean actual "MANUAL LABOUR".......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

:D:D:D

zubair wrote: »

i got one in France when touring Europe this year and it was perfect, alot of the service stations didn't have air pressure gauges, was great to be able to get up and set the tyre pressures in the morning and forget about it rather than trying to find somewhere and let the tyres get cool and all that bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

inchiuvatu wrote: »
    i got one in France when touring Europe this year and it was perfect, alot of the service stations didn't have air pressure gauges, was great to be able to get up and set the tyre pressures in the morning and forget about it rather than trying to find somewhere and let the tyres get cool and all that bollox.

Is that not a bit big to carry around on the bike?
    Or did you get some sort of compact one?

I have a track pump for the bicycles at home myself, dead easy to do the big bike tyres but I wouldn't carry it around.

• Advertisement

DubVelo wrote: »
    Is that not a bit big to carry around on the bike?
    Or did you get some sort of compact one?

I have a track pump for the bicycles at home myself, dead easy to do the big bike tyres but I wouldn't carry it around.

it was about the size of a coke bottle, i had it wrapped in a rag and it sat on the fairing just under the misses left leg tucked out of the way held in place with one of the many spare bungies i had with me.

P6065938.JPG

Advertisement