Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luis Suarez - Mod Note Post #1, #585 and #602

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

jester77 wrote: »
    But if FIFA ban him from football for x games/months, then it will affect Liverpool as he will miss the start of the season again. Or if they try and sell him then the fact that he is missing the start of the season will hit his sale price. Got to feel for Liverpool here, they stood by him last year and he pulls this off again.

He more than repaid liverpool with goals by standing by him last year. How much will champions league football be worth to liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Knex. wrote: »
    Ah yeah, but that's all from a purely theatrical perspective. That's why there's so much hype and conversation here. Its pure theater.

Most people actually don't care about Chiellini and Italy one jot.

True, the match swung on a marginal red card and a fairly impotent performance (world cup even!) from Balotelli, Prandelli's blind faith in the other 'elli pretty much cost him and the Italian FA's director their jobs.

In amongst the faux rage there is an actually football story here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

GavRedKing wrote: »
    What happens when you bite someone and go down holding your face like it was the other guys fault?

You get a deserved ban, or at least that is what should happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

GavRedKing wrote: »
    What happens when you bite someone and go down holding your face like it was the other guys fault?

Ban him for 3 or 5 or whatever games.
    No problem at all with that
    Rubbish about a 2 year ban, or Danny Mills on SkySports News saying he deserves jailtime etc, its pathetic.
    He is a genius, he has one giant flaw with his temper but it continues to worth the risk to play him from a Liverpool point of view because he is in the top 3 players in the world.

Jail time! Where's that I don't wanna live on this planet gif..

• Advertisement

I am pie wrote: »
    Jail time! Where's that I don't wanna live on this planet gif..

Danny Mills
    Biting someone again, in a tournament of this magnitude, the most watched tournament in the world. I’m sorry but they have got to throw the book at him – they’ve got to throw him in jail and lock him up forever.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Umadbrah?

luiz.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Yet another person who falsely accuses people of defending him.

But you keep on that horse, waving the moral flag into our lowly unruly faces.

I have to see a single person say Suarez should not be banned. Not one.

I think you are missing the point.

x43r0 wrote: »
    As someone said in another thread, I couldn't give two flying fúcks what Suarez does playing for Uruguay as long as it doesn't affect Liverpool.

There are plenty of people on hear who are Liverpool fans who are happy to concede he deserves an international fan and are secretly delighted that this means no more trips to South America and he will be fresh for Liverpool. Such an attitude is bad for Liverpool and bad for Luis Suarez.

There is a big issue for Liverpool here and I wish some of their fans would face up to it.

An employee of Liverpool has been found guilty of racism and biting and is facing another charge of biting, all during his period of employment with Liverpool. He has clearly got serious mental health issues. Biting an opponent is not simply an extension of the competitive spirit in the way that a bad tackle is. Repeated incidences portray a very troubled mind.

What are Liverpool going to do for his health? Are they just going to let him out on the pitch and hope for the best? If so, at what stage do they wash their hands of him for the reputation of their club, one more bite, two more? At what price do they want to win?

For Luis Suarez sake, the correct thing for Liverpool to do is to keep him on the sidelines until such time that they are certain the demons inside have been quietened enough. Do they have the bottle to do this?

I am an Arsenal fan and last summer I would have loved to have seen us sign Suarez. Now I am glad we missed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

But if FIFA ban him from football for x games/months, then it will affect Liverpool as he will miss the start of the season again. Or if they try and sell him then the fact that he is missing the start of the season will hit his sale price. Got to feel for Liverpool here, they stood by him last year and he pulls this off again.

Yeah that's my point

If he gets a ban which prevents him from playing for Liverpool then I'll be pissed off

Until then I'm not bothered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Danny Mills is advocating life in prison for Suarez.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Samba wrote: »
    Perspective eh?

Source: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/218901-overview

If you have a doubt about the severity of the repercussions of a human bite, I suggest you go ask your doctor what they think, it's appalling, end of and there's no discussion to be had on this point.

He should be forced to do a blood test immediately to ensure there's not something more sinister at play in all these biting incidents, who the **** bites people when they're frustrated!?
    You left out the most important fact in the middle of your rant.

What % of bites will transmit disease, on average? Your post implies that it is 100% certain that the bitten player will contract ALL of those diseases:D.

I would guess, as a layman, that certainly less than 5% of bites, and probably way less than 1% in reality, would be capable of transmitting a serious disease with an even smaller % actually contracting the disease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

He didn't mean this then .
    luis-suarez-ban-apology.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

I know I'm going to get completely slated for this :D but is there definite clear cut evidence that Suarez bit Chiellini?

I think myself that Suarez did bite him or at least attempted to bite him.
    From Chiellini's reaction it certainly seems like Suarez's teeth made contact.
    But the camera angles are from behind and it's unclear if he made contact with teeth.
    If there is no definite evidence of a bite then can FIFA punish him - what about innocent until proven guilty?

The camera angle for the Ivanovic was much better and Suarez himself apologised afterwards.

If I was part of the Uruguay squad of a Uruguay fan I'd be arguing that - anything to hold onto their talisman, as their captain is: Lugano rallied in support of his teammate, telling reporters after the game: "You need to show me [the incident] because I didn't see anything. Did you see it today or did you see what happened in other years? You couldn't have seen it today because nothing happened. from http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/italy/world-cup/news/lugano-rallies-in-support-of-suarez_161664.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    But I honestly believe people are in danger of blowing this whole episode out of all sense of reality, and talk of AIDS and Hepatitis are just pure hyperbole. I mean, I stand to be corrected by someone more versed than me in the field, but thats just how I see this.

That's a question for the Doctor who carried out the study, the whole study is there to read.

I'm not qualified to quantify the risk, HIV risk is rock bottom according to the the study but it suggests there is a real risk of HSV transmission, which is what I originally quoted but everyone obviously read it as HIV.
    In addition to the acute risk of localized infection, human bites pose the potential for the transmission of systemic infections, which can be life threatening. Hepatitis B transmission via human bites is well documented. In approximately 75% of patients with hepatitis B, the antigen is detectable in their saliva, and it is approximately 100 times more infectious than HIV.

Anyone caught sharing a water bottle with another player should also be banned while they are at it. Can spread endless disease. Vile carry on

What!?

Godge wrote: »

There are plenty of people on hear who are Liverpool fans who are happy to concede he deserves an international fan and are secretly delighted that this means no more trips to South America and he will be fresh for Liverpool. Such an attitude is bad for Liverpool and bad for Luis Suarez.

There is a big issue for Liverpool here and I wish some of their fans would face up to it.

An employee of Liverpool has been found guilty of racism and biting and is facing another charge of biting, all during his period of employment with Liverpool. He has clearly got serious mental health issues. Biting an opponent is not simply an extension of the competitive spirit in the way that a bad tackle is. Repeated incidences portray a very troubled mind.

What are Liverpool going to do for his health? Are they just going to let him out on the pitch and hope for the best? If so, at what stage do they wash their hands of him for the reputation of their club, one more bite, two more? At what price do they want to win?

For Luis Suarez sake, the correct thing for Liverpool to do is to keep him on the sidelines until such time that they are certain the demons inside have been quietened enough. Do they have the bottle to do this?

I am an Arsenal fan and last summer I would have loved to have seen us sign Suarez. Now I am glad we missed out.

Demons? He bit someone Godge, he didnt mass murder a village of innocent women and children. He has anger issues and needs to cop the hell on sooner rather than later but bench him indefinitely ? There isnt a club on earth who would do that. Football is a business, its not some moral highground that shows people the correct way to live your life or deal with stress or offer up perfect people which kids should emulate. Its a sport, played by people who are highly paid to win at all costs. People would do well to remember that

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

I am pie wrote: »
    True, the match swung on a marginal red card and a fairly impotent performance (world cup even!) from Balotelli, Prandelli's blind faith in the other 'elli pretty much cost him and the Italian FA's director their jobs.

In amongst the faux rage there is an actually football story here.

Who else does he go with though? Immobile didn't look up to the task, Cassano was terrible vs Costa Rica and had little impact yesterday (not much time to do anything though in fairness)...should have brought Rossi perhaps but don't know if that would have solved the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    He didn't mean this then .
    luis-suarez-ban-apology.jpg

Sure he did. Hasn't bitten Ivanovic once since that incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

rok wrote: »
    I know I'm going to get completely slated for this :D but is there definite clear cut evidence that Suarez bit Chiellini?

But the camera angles are from behind and it's unclear if he made contact with teeth.
    If there is no definite evidence of a bite then can FIFA punish him - what about innocent until proven guilty?

The camera angle for the Ivanovic was much better and Suarez himself apologised afterwards.

If I was part of the Uruguay squad of a Uruguay fan I'd be arguing that - anything to hold onto their talisman, as their captain is: Lugano rallied in support of his teammate, telling reporters after the game: "You need to show me [the incident] because I didn't see anything. Did you see it today or did you see what happened in other years? You couldn't have seen it today because nothing happened. from http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/italy/world-cup/news/lugano-rallies-in-support-of-suarez_161664.html

The slow-mo video that zooms in on the incident shows it very very clearly. There's no other conclusion that could be drawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

rok wrote: »

Dear fúcking jesus. Can we have the gif put in the OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Liam O wrote: »
    Dear fúcking jesus. Can we have the gif put in the OP?

Here's the video with the slow-mo zoomed in, absolutely 100% a bite

• Advertisement

Again, i question your competence to proclaim that anyone, let alone someone you have never met, has a mental health issue.

What exactly are your qualifications to issue such a proclimation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Ben Rumsby ‏@ben_rumsby
    Fifa confirms its disciplinary committee has the power to make any ban worldwide. #suarez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

5live wrote: »
    You left out the most important fact in the middle of your rant.

What % of bites will transmit disease, on average? Your post implies that it is 100% certain that the bitten player will contract ALL of those diseases:D.

My post implies nothing of the sort I quoted an excerpt from the study I linked which highlights the risks associated with human bites, they're not as harmless as some people defending his actions are claiming.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Blatter wrote: »
    Ben Rumsby ‏@ben_rumsby
    Fifa confirms its disciplinary committee has the power to make any ban worldwide. #suarez

It wont happen.

Oh he bit him alright!...or at least he tried.

There have defeinitely been photoshopped versions circulating and the English tabloids do nothing for their own credibility, but he had a go at biting him. Hardly a surpirse when he has done it before.

Banning him from the rest of the WC is apt, it would be the most painful punishment for him as he is much more proud of playing for his country than his club, young nations in a region perceived as oppressed by former colonies...there is a nationalism which goes deeper than you would experience in Europe without appearing a bit mental.

He'd not be affected as much as the club would be banning him for another handful of Liverpool games, but if he misses out on the WC he will be broken.

The Uruguayans genuinely believe they can win this with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

theres a chance Pools american owners may see this as the final straw and sell him. Isn't he in the last chance saloon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Chiellini should probably get a tetanus shot if he hasn't had one in last few years. If his skin was broken obviously.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Bites-human-and-animal/Pages/Complications.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

theres a chance Pools american owners may see this as the final straw and sell him. Isn't he in the last chance saloon?

Meh, if he was any other player, maybe. But he is way too good a player to sell, let alone for a discount price, which is what it would take to sell him now. We're stuck with him now, even though I don't think we should get rid of him.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    It wont happen.

I agree, not a chance FIFA will go there. He'll miss rest of world cup and 4 or 5 of their next games.

Obviously guessing same as everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Far from it. I do, however, believe you've missed mine. But primarily because I posted it earlier (and sporadically)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90990917#post90990917

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90992117#post90992117

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90991446#post90991446

There's a fair bit of hyperbole in your post, as well, with regards to not letting him play and Liverpool fans having a big issue on their hands.

What issue, where? I certainly don't feel like I have an issue to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Agueroooo wrote: »
    It wont happen.

Very unlikely I would have thought but you never know with FIFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Adidas executives are to discuss the sponsorship deal with Suarez.

Cadburys are ready to step in and get him to promote Chomp bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Demons? He bit someone Godge, he didnt mass murder a village of innocent women and children. He has anger issues and needs to cop the hell on sooner rather than later but bench him indefinitely ? There isnt a club on earth who would do that. Football is a business, its not some moral highground that shows people the correct way to live your life or deal with stress or offer up perfect people which kids should emulate. Its a sport, played by people who are highly paid to win at all costs. People would do well to remember that

So you are happy that someone with clear anger management issues and a propensity to bite when under stress should be put in stressful situations by his employer?

The Premier League is not a sport, don't kid yourself, it is not people having a laugh in the Phoenix Park on a Sunday morning, it is a business with employers and employees.
    5live wrote: »
    Again, i question your competence to proclaim that anyone, let alone someone you have never met, has a mental health issue.

What exactly are your qualifications to issue such a proclimation?

You don't need to be a doctor to see someone with clear mental health issues. I have identified people who work for me who have clear mental health issues and referred them to a specialist. That mental health issue may be something as minor as an inability to cope well with stress or it may well be something more serious. Identifying that there is an issue and removing the employee from a place of danger is the job of any manager or employer, diagnosing and curing the issue is the job of the mental health specialist.

So yes, I am well enough qualified to see that Luis Suarez has mental health issues. How serious they are and how long he will need to deal with them are not something I can know or predict. That is a matter for the specialist.

I can also say that it would be completely irresponsible of any employer to put someone with such a known risk into any pressurised situation. What happens when Liverpool are on the brink of elimination from the Champions League?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

If it does happen it would be a incredible over-reaction by FIFA.

IMO he should get an international ban of 5 games and huge ban.

Anything else would be excessive imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

With the recent pressure put on them, and all the scrutiny with regards to Dubai and Russia, they may well see this as an awkward PR situation, and one where they cannot be seen to be lenient.

Make an example, and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭comewatmay

As a liveroool fan I'm absolutely ecstatic. 1. He hopefully gets sent home from the World Cup to rest up for next season.

2. Neither Madrid or barca will want to take a chance buying him.

3. All the fans next season will boo him which makes him play better for liveroool.

Result: we have a well rested olayer who nobody else wants ready to tear up the premier league.

What's the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I know which one was more dangerous! From the same match.

Suarez should be thrown out of the World Cup and banned.

But one of them is being forgotten about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

New information coming out now, apparently Mrs Doyle baked the Italian shirts and as we all know from that famous gif of Luis as a little boy with Grandad Kenny and Uncle Stevie, he looooves a bit of cake.
    I'll give him the benefit of the doubt so.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Here's the video with the slow-mo zoomed in, absolutely 100% a bite

Cheers for that slow mo video.
    The forward+down head motion of Suarez are consistent with a biting action, however is the onus on FIFA to prove a bite?
    A camera from the other side of the pitch would catch it better, I'd imagine it'd show teeth and would be conclusive.

The Ivanovic incident has pictures from at least 2 angles.
    Is anyone else amazed there isn't more than 1 camera angle or even still pictures from a photographer? this is the World Cup ffs.

While I think he bit (or tried to bite) Chiellini my point is that the video evidence from that angle isn't 100% conclusive and it might allow wiggle room for Uruguay and Suarez.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/players/luis-suarez/10924994/Luis-Suarez-Uruguay-players-and-media-hit-out-at-hypocritical-English-and-Giorgio-Chiellini-over-bite.html
    Uruguayan reaction has included a number of excuses used in defence of Suarez, including:
    - Suarez's mouth inadvertently fell into Chiellini's shoulder / Chiellini thrust his shoulder into Suarez.
    --> see they might use the "he ran into my fist" excuse :)

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Definitely uncharted waters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i cannot believe how many boardsie pool fans have the ah well he can concentrate on pool attitude tbh. i know several lads pool fans who are today raging with him and wanting him gone for his behaviour their attitude is he is harming the clubs reputation.

With the recent pressure put on them, and all the scrutiny with regards to Dubai and Russia, they may well see this as an awkward PR situation, and one where they cannot be seen to be lenient.

Make an example, and all that.

This is all pressure perceived to be from a disgruntled English FA and media, Uruguay are doing the right thing by painting this incident as part of an English witch hunt. FIFA don't look at anything coming from England with much enthusiasm. Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I just get the sense that there is way, way too many caveats in place that need to happen before a serious disease could be transmitted from one footballer to another by biting them in a game. I'm thinking it has something along the lines of a .000001% chance of happening.

You elbow someone with a cut in your arm, causing them to get a cut themselves, the way I see it, the chances of 'infecting' someone is similar this way.

I get it that that biting is more akin to the animal kingdom than civilized human kind, but let's not pretend that this is any more dangerous than other forms of assault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭EvanCornwallis

Fine him 10,000 and let's get on with the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

This is all pressure perceived to be from a disgruntled English FA and media, Uruguay are doing the right thing by painting this incident as part of an English witch hunt. FIFA don't look at anything coming from England with much enthusiasm. Maybe.

Probably because of all the match-fixing and corruption uncovered by the Telegraph, Guardian etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

comewatmay wrote: »
    As a liveroool fan I'm absolutely ecstatic. 1. He hopefully gets sent home from the World Cup to rest up for next season.

2. Neither Madrid or barca will want to take a chance buying him.

3. All the fans next season will boo him which makes him play better for liveroool.

Result: we have a well rested olayer who nobody else wants ready to tear up the premier league.

What's the problem?

GregariousAgreeableHornedviper.gif

So you are happy that someone with clear anger management issues and a propensity to bite when under stress should be put in stressful situations by his employer?

The Premier League is not a sport, don't kid yourself, it is not people having a laugh in the Phoenix Park on a Sunday morning, it is a business with employers and employees.

You don't need to be a doctor to see someone with clear mental health issues. I have identified people who work for me who have clear mental health issues and referred them to a specialist. That mental health issue may be something as minor as an inability to cope well with stress or it may well be something more serious. Identifying that there is an issue and removing the employee from a place of danger is the job of any manager or employer, diagnosing and curing the issue is the job of the mental health specialist.

So yes, I am well enough qualified to see that Luis Suarez has mental health issues. How serious they are and how long he will need to deal with them are not something I can know or predict. That is a matter for the specialist.

I can also say that it would be completely irresponsible of any employer to put someone with such a known risk into any pressurised situation. What happens when Liverpool are on the brink of elimination from the Champions League?
    Oh grand. Good to know that anyone can diagnose mental health issues without any training in the field.

Can they solve these issues also?

It must be a right kick in the nuts for those spending years at college and in clinical situations and further training and conferences that any Joe Soap can do what they do without even meeting the patient. :)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

New information coming out now, apparently Mrs Doyle baked the Italian shirts and as we all know from that famous gif of Luis as a little boy with Grandad Kenny and Uncle Stevie, he looooves a bit of cake.
    I'll give him the benefit of the doubt so.

hilarious. top comedy.

Have you seen some of the crazy people that play sports? Mental health is a bonus definitely not a requirement. And I along with 99.9% of Liverpool or Uruguay fans would happily have him play the next and every game for us. He bit someone, he didnt kill someone for crying out loud. Talking about a mountain out of a molehill.
    Mike Tyson got banned from boxing for all of a year following an appeal to put this into context.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

i cannot believe how many boardsie pool fans have the ah well he can concentrate on pool attitude tbh. i know several lads pool fans who are today raging with him and wanting him gone for his behaviour their attitude is he is harming the clubs reputation.
    If he did it in a Liverpool jersey, yes i would be raging. He can do whatever he likes in a Uruguay jersey. Tell your mates to adopt the same stance :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement