Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luis Suarez - Mod Note Post #1, #585 and #602

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

No, I've been well aware of his terrible jokes for years.

"For faux sake" being the latest gem.

gawd, thats awful. he should really get his coat and leave with that kind of lowbrow wordplay. give me an out of left field and shoe horned in completely unrelated father ted reference that has no connection to the incident, the sport the incident is about or in fact anyone involved in the incident anyday over a play on words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Villain wrote: »
    Says a lot about the fans and club to me!

Yeah, but you're a dope, though.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I think Suarez tried to do it at the Confeds Cup to the same player.

anyone got any images?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Any defence or reasoning is moot when you remember this is the 3rd ****ing time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

ebbsy wrote: »
    Cantona came back and was accepted, Ferdinand missed a drugs test and was still accepted, John Terry is still loved by his supporters.

Wake up.

You seem to have missed the bit where I said "in this case", adding other examples just highlights the state of soccer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

Whatever happens if he does leave the Premiership will be a poorer if not safer league next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I dont support Liverpool but obvs their fans are going to stand by him (not all but some), all clubs fans do
    Chelsea- Terry
    Man Utd- Giggs/Cantona
    Liverpool- Suarez

What did Giggs do that would require United fans to stand by him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

he sexed a lady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    [IMG]C:\Users\Anonymous person\Pictures\10350996_10152504529491575_6850799309046904234_n.jpg[/IMG]

You can't link to images on your computer Edit: Anonymous person.

You have to upload them to a site like Imgur first.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

rob316 wrote: »
    Any defence or reasoning is moot when you remember this is the 3rd ****ing time.

I think everyone knows that tbf and by the way this thread is going its running out of gas :pac:

its down to how long, and how far the inevitable ban will stretch for me now.

and hopefully there are a few clauses attached that see the player having to get compulsory therapy before he can part take in the sport again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

So many people seem to effectively want soccer to go down the rugby route of a ban for foul play in one competition level (international, European club, domestic club) being cross-served in all those levels of the game.

And that's perfectly fine, though perhaps people should think about some of the actual ramifications of it and see if its genuinely what they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Open invitation swingers party?

Comparing Giggs and Suarez isn't really a fair comparison anyway. Of that I certainly agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

BMMachine wrote: »
    gawd, thats awful. he should really get his coat and leave with that kind of lowbrow wordplay. give me an out of left field and shoe horned in completely unrelated father ted reference that has no connection to the incident, the sport the incident is about or in fact anyone involved in the incident anyday over a play on words

Too right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

So many people seem to effectively want soccer to go down the rugby route of a ban for foul play in one competition level (international, European club, domestic club) being cross-served in all those levels of the game.

And that's perfectly fine, though perhaps people should think about some of the actual ramifications of it and see if its genuinely what they want.

I am glad Suarez is not a rugby player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

That just goes to show why many people have lost respect for the game, when you compare it to professional rugby it's quite embarrassing really!

Sure Peter Clohessy tap danced on the head of a French player and is a Munster rugby legend. They probably went out for pints together afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Birroc wrote: »
    I am glad Suarez is not a rugby player.

I dunno, he'd have to wear a gumshield then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

That just goes to show why many people have lost respect for the game, when you compare it to professional rugby it's quite embarrassing really!

I wouldn't be so sure of that , remember the organised cheating in the Quins/Leinster match - dwarf's this incident imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

no surprisingly they are irish so no ties to uruguay. jaysus cant believe some are seriously defending him and describing his behaviour as a positive for liverpool.... are you actually pool fans or taking the mick

I hope you're not interpreting my post as defending him. I certainly couldn't defend violent conduct.

My overriding feeling here is apathy. If he gets a club ban then this will be upgraded to rage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I dont support Liverpool but obvs their fans are going to stand by him (not all but some), all clubs fans do
    Chelsea- Terry
    Man Utd- Giggs/Cantona
    Liverpool- Suarez

What Suarez is doing is on a completely different level to the examples above though and coupled with his lack of loyalty unlike those, it's hard to blame the many pool fans and the likes of Phil Thompson who are losing patience and want him sold.

His original embarrassment of Liverpool in the Evra affair was bad enough for some people, as were his lies to Kenny Daglish and the Liverpool legends subsequent embarrassment which certainly was a factor in his sacking. Even after the fans sticking by him through that, and the bite on Ivanovic, he had no loyalty last summer, even suggesting he could sue the club. And all that isn't even mentioning the couple of terrible dives and handball in the FA cup. This saga is just yet another stab in the back for the club. I can certainly see why a portion of fans just want the cheque and to say good riddance

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Rugby has incidences that are worse than anything in football every week

There's our "National Hero" Rugby player in action here, This incident is never brought up but its far worse than biting someone so kindly stop with your rugby rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

Nigeria v Argentina kicks off at 5 , we can leave the Suarez stuff behind us and get back to what's really important , slinging sh1t at each other over who's better Messi or Ronaldo .

• Registered Users Posts: 12 HappieChappie

Liverpool fans secretly hoping he is banned and is home early ? or will it turn potential suitors off if he is given a ban from clubs games. There comes a point when incidents like for one players is just enough. Biting or spitting at another players is not like kicking someone its just out of order

marienbad wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure of that , remember the organised cheating in the Quins/Leinster match - dwarf's this incident imho.

There will be always incidents but in general at the top level of Rugby incidents of a serious nature are handled much better and the respect the referee has on the pitch is light years ahead of soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Liverpool fans secretly hoping he is banned and is home early ? or will it turn potential suitors off if he is given a ban from clubs games. There comes a point when incidents like for one players is just enough. Biting or spitting at another players is not like kicking someone its just out of order

Dead right, kicking should be made legal from now, who cares if we've a few broken legs and careers ended along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

derm0j073 wrote: »
    Nigeria v Argentina kicks off at 5 , we can leave the Suarez stuff behind us and get back to what's really important , slinging sh1t at each other over who's better Messi or Ronaldo .

Unfortunately, to a few people shouting typing words at one another about something a player from their or a rival's club did is more important than some silly World Cup.

• Advertisement

There will be always incidents but in general at the top level of Rugby incidents of a serious nature are handled much better and the respect the referee has on the pitch is light years ahead of soccer.

That is now a different point though , and you are now not comparing like with like .

I can find images of stamping in Soccer too, the citing commision system is far better and the respect the referee gets is far better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Have to laugh when people bring up that saying "Soccer is a gentleman's game played by hooligans, Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen."

Even at the highest level, some of the the scumbags that play Rugby would make Suarez look like a saint. The thuggery that goes on with stamping (coming from much heavier men with far deeper studs) and eye-gouging is an absolute disgrace and in the few games I've watched of Rugby (about 20-30) I've seen much, much worse incidents than I've ever seen watching football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Nuri Sahin posts like a tabloid newspaper assassinating characters.

marienbad wrote: »
    That is now a different point though , and you are now not comparing like with like .

I was talking in general terms about soccer, incidents like this just highlight some of those issues.

Anyway not much point trying to have a reasoned debate on the failings of soccer and how many fans blindly love their latest hero, on the soccer forum :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

zerks wrote: »
    888poker ✔ @888poker
    Following recent allegations made against Luis Suárez, we are reviewing our relationship with him. We will not tolerate unsporting behavior.

Laughable when you consider that Shane Warne, a man who failed a drugs test for a banned diuretic and was find for accepting money from a bookmaker for giving inside information, is one of their ambassadors.

Have to laugh when people bring up that saying "Soccer is a gentleman's game played by hooligans, Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen."

Even at the highest level, some of the the scumbags that play Rugby would make Suarez look like a saint. The thuggery that goes on with stamping (coming from much heavier men with far deeper studs) and eye-gouging is an absolute disgrace and in the few games I've watched of Rugby (about 20-30) I've seen much, much worse incidents than I've ever seen watching football.

You seem to be missing the point its not about what happens its about how issues are addressed by those controlling the sport and by the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,198 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

biting is pretty bad in fairness

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

As a quick warning, there's a lot of personal sniping taking place at the moment (especially over the last hour), and a lot of "United vs Liverpool" stuff that's verging massively off topic (Comparisons are fine, if the context is discussing and counter-discussing posts, but attacking the posters and name calling are not).

This thread was already hanging on a thread, and if it's not taken back on thread quickly and permanently, I'll be closing it off until there's an actual development in the story at hand. The mods were very reluctant to even start this thread for fear of certain groups using it to just go fishing, and it's not going unnoticed that's exactly what is starting to happen as people approach the line they shouldn't cross.

No more attacking posters. If you've got a point to make, make it, but personal sniping is not going to be tolerated.

I was talking in general terms about soccer, incidents like this just highlight some of those issues.

Anyway not much point trying to have a reasoned debate on the failings of soccer and how many fans blindly love their latest hero, on the soccer forum :P

Try saying something unfavourable about BOD on the Leinster thread and then lecture on the failings of the soccer forum.

The fact is some fans of any and all sports are partisan and some are objective . And this tired cliché that rugby has something that soccer doesn't is just lazy. All sports can and do learn from each other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Lads, have Liverpool FC said anything on the matter.?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

vid

Rugby has incidences that are worse than anything in football every week

There's our "National Hero" Rugby player in action here, This incident is never brought up but its far worse than biting someone so kindly stop with your rugby rubbish

There is a lot more that is allowed in the rules of rugby than in football. It's a much more violent game by design. But the rules enforcement in rugby are infinitely better than they are in football. I long for a day when rugby style referring and organisation of retrospective punishments would come to football, but it will never happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Lads, have Liverpool FC said anything on the matter.?

Not yet , I can't see LFC getting too involved unless FIFA ban him from club games too .

You seem to be missing the point its not about what happens its about how issues are addressed by those controlling the sport and by the fans.

What exactly is the point you're trying to make though?

Incidents of violent behaviour in football are addressed afterwards and bans handed out as well?

One thing I do enjoy about rugby is the respect the officials get. Always thought that strict rules against dissent should have been brought into football across the board. Would take a bit of getting used to and lots of early cards/suspensions but they'd learn eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

One thing I do enjoy about rugby is the respect the officials get. Always thought that strict rules against dissent should have been brought into football across the board. Would take a bit of getting used to and lots of early cards/suspensions but they'd learn eventually.

That is long overdue. It gets my blood boiling when I see a pack of players surrounding the ref when a decision goes against them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Pro. F wrote: »
    There is a lot more that is allowed in the rules of rugby than in football. It's a much more violent game by design. But the rules enforcement in rugby are infinitely better than they are in football. I long for a day when rugby style referring and organisation of retrospective punishments would come to football, but it will never happen.

There was also an 18-month ban for biting handed out in rugby.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Ridiculous that people think that was a bite yesterday-video replays clearly show that he gnawed him.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    This thread was already hanging on a thread, and if it's not taken back on thread quickly and permanently, I'll be closing it off until there's an actual development in the story at hand. The mods were very reluctant to even start this thread for fear of certain groups using it to just go fishing, and it's not going unnoticed that's exactly what is starting to happen as people approach the line they shouldn't cross.
    Nice use of the word thread three times in the same sentence :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

I wonder If suarez played for a team like atletico Madrid would there be the same level of outrage on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Pro. F wrote: »

Players have a lot more respect for the ref in rugby because an extra ten yards or a penalty are huge in the game. Doing the same in football is meaningless. Retrospective punishments in rugby is well run in fairness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Nice use of the word thread three times in the same sentence :D

As an English teacher, I feel ashamed :P Point stands though...

biting is pretty bad in fairness
    I agree completely and a hefty fine should be dished out. But I think it's mild in comparison to some of the stuff I've seen in Rugby.
    gandalf wrote: »
    That is long overdue. It gets my blood boiling when I see a pack of players surrounding the ref when a decision goes against them.
    What irks me is when the pundits on Sky etc. criticize foreign players and managers for making the "yellow card" gesture at the ref and then you see the likes of Rooney, Terry and Wilshere swearing blindly in the ref's face and they never mention it solely because they're English.

The yellow card gesture is supposed to be an automatic yellow card, so why don't they enforce it?

Calling the ref a f***ing c**t is meant to be a straight red so why don't they enforce that either? Mind you, it's only in the premiership that I've seen players getting away with that carry on but I'm sure it happens in other leagues where i wouldn't know the language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Specialun wrote: »
    I wonder If suarez played for a team like atletico Madrid would there be the same level of outrage on here

Of course not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Specialun wrote: »

Maybe the same kind of thing has been going on over on boards.es about Costa?
    As it stands, this is an Irish forum where Premier League is the main attraction and Liverpool are one of, if not the, most supported teams in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

What exactly is the point you're trying to make though?

Incidents of violent behaviour in football are addressed afterwards and bans handed out as well?

I think, and I may be wrong here, that for violent conduct in rugby, players get proper lengthy bans (like six 6 and 12 months) from both club and international games. So that would be the difference.

Very much agree on the respect referees get. I honestly think it makes better, more self-controlled, people out of the kids who play the sport.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement