Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luis Suarez - Mod Note Post #1, #585 and #602

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Nuri Sahin posts like a tabloid newspaper assassinating characters.
    Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    It was a joke..

Though Turdy is the worse man alive after Suarez.

Just to add to TSC's warning above, please keep this kind of stuff to the Liverpool Superhread, the majority of people posting here don't get the joke and it only serves to further derail an already difficult to mod thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Lads, have Liverpool FC said anything on the matter.?

Only that the owners, CEO and manager are in discussion. Quite what they are discussing is another matter, I suppose
    contingencies have to be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Maybe the same kind of thing has been going on over on boards.es about Costa?
    As it stands, this is an Irish forum where Premier League is the main attraction and Liverpool are one of, if not the, most supported teams in the country.

And, as such, it is extremely important for Irish fans of EPL rivals to Liverpool to come on here and note how genuinely shocked and outraged they are by Luis Suarez. :)

All honest and heartfelt commentary no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Specialun wrote: »
    I wonder If suarez played for a team like atletico Madrid would there be the same level of outrage on here
    Pro. F wrote: »
    I think, and I may be wrong here, that for violent conduct in rugby, players get proper lengthy bans (like six 6 and 12 months) from both club and international games. So that would be the difference.

Very much agree on the respect referees get. I honestly think it makes better, more self-controlled, people out of the kids who play the sport.

Oh right, well in that case I agree completely with the other poster. Harsher bans should be dealt out for very violent conduct and especially for repeat incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Rugby has incidences that are worse than anything in football every week

There's our "National Hero" Rugby player in action here, This incident is never brought up but its far worse than biting someone so kindly stop with your rugby rubbish

If I could thank that post a thousand times I would. What Suarez did was deplorable but so is eye gouging, stamping and all the other scummy behavior that gets ignored in rugby because its a ''gentlemans game''. What normal person goes out on to the field in any sport and purposely gouges someones eye? THats not manly, its just acting the gowl!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

sabat wrote: »
    Ridiculous that people think that was a bite yesterday-video replays clearly show that he gnawed him.

I would have gone for nibble myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    And, as such, it is extremely important for Irish fans of EPL rivals to Liverpool to come on here and note how genuinely shocked and outraged they are by Luis Suarez. :)

All honest and heartfelt commentary no doubt.

You're hardly naive enough to think it would be any other way?
    If Rooney did it we would be witnessing the very same thing with the roles reversed. I remember a thread about Rooney swearing and being caught on mic, the outrage there was similar for a nothing incident like saying "f*cking yeah"
    It's the way this place operates, it's the way football fans operate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

n32 wrote: »
    If I could thank that post a thousand times I would. What Suarez did was deplorable but so is eye gouging, stamping and all the other scummy behavior that gets ignored in rugby because its a ''gentlemans game''. What normal person goes out on to the field in any sport and purposely gouges someones eye? THats not manly, its just acting the gowl!

Ignored? As others have said Rugby bans are a lot harsher than soccer bans.

Suarez incident is just one example but it is an example that happened on the biggest soccer stage in the world and the media attention will likely get worse once the FIFA ruling is made on any ban.

My main point really is that if soccer implemented the citing system from Rugby along with the harsher bans and tried to deal with the abuse referees get then Soccer could become a far better sport to follow and a big incident like this could be a catalyst for such a debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Biting as once off can be seen as a moment of madness. But Saurez has biten players three times. There are less bites taken in an episode of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" or "Come Dine With Me".
    Even Mike Tyson has only bitten once!.

I think the hysteria is a bit much at the same time. At this stage i think it is more laughable then anything else as no real damage was caused.
    It is not like Saurez took his ear off!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Villain wrote: »
    Ignored? As others have said Rugby bans are a lot harsher than soccer bans.

Suarez incident is just one example but it is an example that happened on the biggest soccer stage in the world and the media attention will likely get worse once the FIFA ruling is made on any ban.

My main point really is that if soccer implemented the citing system from Rugby along with the harsher bans and tried to deal with the abuse referees get then Soccer could become a far better sport to follow and a big incident like this could be a catalyst for such a debate.

Ignored might have been the wrong word. I remember Alan Quinlan gouging Leo Cullen for example and incidents of BOD and Paul O Connell stamping but they were never vilified for it in the media or accused of being a bad role model to kids. The 2 sports are judged by very different standards. Suarez deserves everything he gets for what he did though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,198 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Don't mean to be pedantic pr1k....but tyson bit twice....he actaully had gotten away (2 point deduction) with the "main" bite until he bit the 2nd time....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Biting as once off can be seen as a moment of madness. But Saurez has biten players three times. There are less bites taken in an episode of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" or "Come Dine With Me".
    Even Mike Tyson has only bitten once!.

I think the hysteria is a bit much at the same time. At this stage i think it is more laughable then anything else as no real damage was caused.
    It is not like Saurez took his ear off!

Every time you keep misspelling Suarez I can't help thinking of this :

http://garethfouche.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/eye-of-sauron_0.jpg[url][/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

niallo27 wrote: »
    Players have a lot more respect for the ref in rugby because an extra ten yards or a penalty are huge in the game. Doing the same in football is meaningless. Retrospective punishments in rugby is well run in fairness.

Yeah, the mini-punishments they use in rugby, to get ref respect, would need to be altered for football all right. It's getting off topic here, but we could definitely draw up a schedule of football appropriate punishments to enforce respect of the refs, if we put our minds to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

You're hardly naive enough to think it would be any other way?
    If Rooney did it we would be witnessing the very same thing with the roles reversed. I remember a thread about Rooney swearing and being caught on mic, the outrage there was similar for a nothing incident like saying "f*cking yeah"
    It's the way this place operates, it's the way football fans operate.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71514610

This thread?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

n32 wrote: »

Very much agree as someone who has played rugby at an amateur level where there are no cameras. Vicious behaviour which are not even fouls, but 'part of the game'. Honourable game.:rolleyes:

Godge wrote: »
    There was also an 18-month ban for biting handed out in rugby.
    Oh right, well in that case I agree completely with the other poster. Harsher bans should be dealt out for very violent conduct and especially for repeat incidents.

TBF, just thinking about it now, I suppose the rugby bans are usually for far more violent conduct than Suarez's bites. They were all only nibbles really, it's just that it's now getting ridiculous that he keeps doing it. If FIFA were to now ban him for something like 12 months from games at both club and international level, then that would seem about right to me. Just based on the fact that he has shown no sign of cleaning up his act.

FIFA have a chance to show that they can control their players here, but we all suspect they will come up short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

gandalf wrote: »
    TBH I don't see why Liverpool should be sanctioned for his actions whilst on International duty

I do think he is doing severe harm to the reputation of Liverpool football club.

Thank you !! People are saying he should be banned and the ban should carry on into the premiership- but why should we as a team be punished, all we have done is stand by him and showed him loyalty. Its a head v heart situation. In my heart I know he will be a huge loss to us but in my head he should be punished - this is the 3rd bite in 4 years and it has to stop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Six month worldwide ban and mandatory counselling sessions is the only way forward.
    That or humiliation-make him wear a muzzle during games. Sounds nuts but it'll soon learn him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Fine him 1/25 of his weekly wages, yeah that makes sense.

All agreed so??

Sound so.

Mods can close the thread so.

Zico wrote: »

Yeah and LOL at the OP of that thread considering what has been said here :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Panthro wrote: »
    Six month worldwide ban and mandatory counselling sessions is the only way forward.
    That or humiliation-make him wear a muzzle during games. Sounds nuts but it'll soon learn him!

human rights activists will have a field day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

3 times he has decided to bite someone Lloyd. Stop letting your Liverpool love cloud your judgment. Stop deflection also and tell us how you really feel about biting in sport is it man stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

He needs a spell on the naughty step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm not saying this to wind up liverpool fans, but I hope his ban is a lenght of time covering all games, not just a few international games.
    One thing I do enjoy about rugby is the respect the officials get. Always thought that strict rules against dissent should have been brought into football across the board. Would take a bit of getting used to and lots of early cards/suspensions but they'd learn eventually.
    Would love to see it brought in. No one allowed talk to the ref but the captains. Fifa need to do something, but they won't

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

No Jail Time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

The absolute double standards of the British press- Costa has spat at a player and had three or four headbutts over the last few months- A lot worse than Suarez's behaviour, and yet not a peep when he headbutted a Dutch player. Not a peep about Neymar's elbow either but that was an isolated incident to be fair. What Suarez did was wrong, but people calling for a two year ban are deluded. Violent conduct equals 4-6 game international ban max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Whats the ruling on repeated violent conduct though?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Counselling sessions? Really? FFS!

To have some clown who read a few books tell him not to do it again?

wonga77 wrote: »
    Whats the ruling on repeated violent conduct though?

He served time for his previous, and they were with club, this is on international duty.

• Advertisement

Vanolder wrote: »
    He served time for his previous, and they were with club, this is on international duty.

Are you seriously saying that his previous history of biting players shouldn't be taken into account when issuing a punishment for this instance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

I never thought one thread could have so much faux outrage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

To be fair to Liverpool fans, the majority of them have not tried to argue the unarguable and have admitted that he deserves whatever he gets.

Those one or 2 though, be very very ashamed.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Are you seriously saying that his previous history of biting players shouldn't be taken into account when issuing a punishment for this instance?

Yes- Let your hatred go. Like I said, if other players can headbutt multiple times, and spit at players, and face no sanctions, why should Suarez?

MacBizzle wrote: »
    I never thought one thread could have so much faux outrage.

+1

What do people give a f**k? Like I highlighted with Costa, the man has a far worse record than Suarez and is a repeat offender but no outrage. It's hilarious how the sheep follow the British red tops.

+1

What do people give a f**k? Like I highlighted with Costa, the man has a far worse record than Suarez and is a repeat offender but no outrage. It's hilarious how the sheep follow the British red tops.

It definitely warrants a 10 game ban or maybe a bit more, but it's not like he stabbed someone, or chewed off someone's ear, or ended Chiellini's career. The way people are behaving in here you'd swear he was convicted of sexual assault or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Nothing new really

Bq-CF_vCMAAibAC.jpg
    RT @BNArchive: Seems biting isn't a modern phenomenon in #football. Dundee Courier, 1913

+1

Yeah, I couldn't make up my mind whether biting was bad or not, luckily the Daily Star told me it most definitely is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The shock factor is probably leading to a lot of the perceived overreaction, I would say. Not so much the shock with Suarez himself because of previous history, but more the fact that you can think of countless players known to violence, be it elbows, headbutts, kicks etc, but I can only think of one prone to the ol nibble.

Its not exactly something we are accustomed to, whereas the other stuff we are, rightly or wrongly.

It definitely warrants a 10 game ban or maybe a bit more, but it's not like he stabbed someone, or chewed off someone's ear, or ended Chiellini's career. The way people are behaving in here you'd swear he was convicted of sexual assault or something.

Exactly--- 10 will even be a bit harsh. In my book diving/simulation/feigning injury is far worse and is destroying the sport- spitting on someone is far worse-- breaking someone's leg is far worse--- but the English media usually lead the way around here. Biting is violent conduct, the fact that he has done it before will get him a game or two more, but it shouldn't be months or years.

Yeah, I couldn't make up my mind whether biting was bad or not, luckily the Daily Star told me it most definitely is.

I'm glad it was cleared up for you.

• Advertisement

No one's saying it's not bad, but what makes it worse than an elbow or a headbutt? People are so "appalled" just because it's a strange thing to do compared to the usual violent conduct incidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

I'm not really a supporter of English football so I'm not that bothered either way.

Kicking, punching or sneaky head butting will always happen in the game. Biting someone though.....is animal like. The guy is a total and utter scumbag.

His punishment should be to see out the rest of his career at anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Costa will come under more scrutiny when he's in the Premier League, no doubt about that, and its a fair point about the headbut, can't argue its unlike him!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Tilikum wrote: »
    His punishment should be to see out the rest of his career at anfield.

I'll take that! :D:D:p

Yes- Let your hatred go. Like I said, if other players can headbutt multiple times, and spit at players, and face no sanctions, why should Suarez?

What other players have gotten away with is not the point of what I was asking you. I certainly don't agree with any player getting away with multiple headbutts and spitting and I haven't said anything to indicate otherwise. Bringing it up in response to my question is pathetic dodging.

It is ridiculous to argue that a player's history shouldn't be taken into account when assessing his punishment. Previous behaviour assessment is a basic part of all disciplinary systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

He is not saying that and you know that. He is saying why the outrage for one and nothing for the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Has he been executed yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

No one's saying it's not bad, but what makes it worse than an elbow or a headbutt? People are so "appalled" just because it's a strange thing to do compared to the usual violent conduct incidents.

Because with the bite you can get diseases into your bloodstream. Nibbling could be tolerated but not if you draw blood. God knows what diseases he's carrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Exactly--- 10 will even be a bit harsh. In my book diving/simulation/feigning injury is far worse and is destroying the sport- spitting on someone is far worse-- breaking someone's leg is far worse--- but the English media usually lead the way around here. Biting is violent conduct, the fact that he has done it before will get him a game or two more, but it shouldn't be months or years.

How could you possibly think that diving is worse than biting an opposition player?

Neeson wrote: »
    Because with the bite you can get diseases into your bloodstream. Nibbling could be tolerated but not if you draw blood. God knows what diseases he's carrying.

But a headbutt or elbow can cause brain damage, paralysis or death even? If you're going to go down the sensationalist "disease spreading" route then we'll have to do the same for headbutting, elbowing, kicking, punching, spitting etc.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement