Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luis Suarez - Mod Note Post #1, #585 and #602

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Mad to see the mental gymnastics from certain supporters desperate to minimise the significance of a grown man yet again biting a fellow professional.

If an alcoholic chav from a dodgy estate repeatedly bit people he would probably be sectioned for his own good, its an offence completely outside the pale of most civilised cultures.

Yet this individual repeatedly bites other men and his fans try to pass it off an "only a nibble", or try to play whataboutery games. You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Die hard United fan here. Love watching the guy play, he is a joy.

Was so annoyed last last year because all people remember from the Chelsea game was the bite, and not the exquisite pass to Sturridge from Suarez. Beautiful to watch. And again, people are forgetting the two great goals he scored against England. It's players like him and moments like that which are the reason I watch the game.

However saying that, was anyone surprised yesterday? He has issues, but if someone keeps making the same mistake and punishing him just makes him sulk and feel like the victim then what is appropriate punishment?

There is a reason why Suarez is at Liverpool, and that is not a dig at the club. A brilliant season had two of the biggest clubs in world football looking seriously at him again. Then this happens. Personally I think what happens at the FIFA investigation could have huge impact on his future career and Liverpool's future. A big international ban means an unhappy Suarez. An unhappy Suarez is not a player people get behind, once he loses that support the club will stop defending his antics. He already played a huge part in partly tarnishing one managers legacy at the club, who was made to look very silly at times defending him. Rodgers is too astute to let that happen to him. Be interesting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

1. this will be blown out of proportion more than any other incident, and rightly so because it is the third offence if its nature.

2. I am struggling to come to terms with this. Part of me thinks that worse things happen on the pitch. Legs get broken from terrible tackles, elbows break noses etc. For example, yesterday the Italian tackle began with the possibility for a much worse outcome than the Suarez bite. The problem lies within the mentality it takes to bite someone. Why do it? It doesn't give an edge and he must know he will be caught, as it is the most televised event in the world. The emotion of seeing his home nation going out makes him do crazy stuff.

International ban simply has to happen. That's the end of his world cup. But I cannot phathom why that would carry into his club career.

TL,DR

Suarez done bad. But he didn't end a career of fail a drugs test. He didn't cheat, or fix a game. But what he did is inexcusable. The man's mad. But i hope he stays with LFC and bates in goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

He does not have 'mental health issues', his first reaction when under pressure/angry/frustrated is to bite, the same way that some people lash out with their fists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Knex. wrote: »
    Continuing from other thread...

I suppose Cantona, being the good vigilante that he was, had Simmons criminal file on hand and was doing the World a favour, really.

They're both inexcusably mental. Unstable. And brilliant. And because of the latter, they make hypocrites out of us all.

If either were half the player, 90% of both fanbases would have wanted them shipped off home and never associated with the Club again. And the Clubs would do it too.

+1
    A whole thread and to be honest this sums the discussion up in one line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It's OK what Suarez did because of Cantona 20 years ago, Keane 13 years ago and Will I Amnt whenever he hit that lad. Logic. Oh wait, none of them bit people 3 times on the field. I guess he's happy everyone's probably forgotten about the whole racist thing now because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Mad to see the mental gymnastics from certain supporters desperate to minimise the significance of a grown man yet again biting a fellow professional.

If an alcoholic chav from a dodgy estate repeatedly bit people he would probably be sectioned for his own good, its an offence completely outside the pale of most civilised cultures.

Yet this individual repeatedly bites other men and his fans try to pass it off an "only a nibble", or try to play whataboutery games. You couldn't make it up.

yep.

first he didn't bite him
    then cantona did worse
    now they're suggesting it's not a big deal or it's jealousy :D

offended by everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Birroc wrote: »
    I did not see the game, how was he targeted?

Kicking, dragging, niggling, shirt pulls etc etc...you know...all the usual stuff Italian defenders get up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Mr Alan wrote: »
    He is one of the best players in the world.

As said above, the only player in the world who, on his day, can match Messi and Ronaldo.

He also happens to be absolutely insane as evidenced by this and his previous biting incidents. He clearly needs professional help.

He should be sent home from the world cup and get a decent sized ban from international football. Anything more is nonsense hyperbole.

Nice try.

The ban needs to be ALL games, domestic and international.

Why should he be allowed play and earn for his club after this? The club own and have ultimate responsibility for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Reekwind wrote: »
    Genuine question: Can FIFA actually ban Suarez from all football (ie including domestic leagues) or would a punishment be limited to international games?

Yes.
    Der Kaiser had been given a provisional ban of 90 days from any association with soccer after being accused of not cooperating with an investigation into the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids.
    So they can ban someone from all football.
    Again: it is just hysteria to describe Suarez as somehow a menace to other players on the pitch. Biting is not a severe case of violent conduct - how many players have had to leave the pitch after a bite, never mind have had their career ended?

Biting is weird and should be punished. But it is not dangerous. Or at least, it's significantly less so than a malicious tackle or actual violent assault. Banning someone for life for this is just hysterical.

That is something that Richie Saddler asked last night.
    How do you rank what he has done ?

Personally I think it is the sign of a lowlife, but I don't think it is anywhere near as malicious as for instance what Keane did to Haaland which resulted in a 5k fine and a three match ban.

And I am not justy singling out Keane, Thatcher got an 8 game ban from the the FA, with a further fifteen game suspended ban for two years, after his vicous assualt on Pedro Mendes.
    That assult, not a tackle in my book, resulted in the player having a seizure and spending time in hospital.

Looking at it those two tackles were streets ahead of anything Suarez has done, but his penchant for using the nashers is a bit weird and seen as low and obviously not very macho.

Either way the lad has problems.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

It was a fairly nothing passage of play, what did he have to be angry about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Brilliant post from the other thread that I feel needs to the recognition it deserves.
    SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Imagine if someone else was doing this in any other job. "Gary in accountants keep biting people. Yeah, but he is a really good accountant." :pac:

Sums it up really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

dinorebel wrote: »
    That analogy would only be valid if Leonardo and Tasotti's suspensions were for a 3rd offence.

your comment would only be valid if Suarez had just fractured somebody's skull for the third time.

Was what he did moronic? Definitely.
    Was it dangerous? Yes.
    Should he be banned? For sure.

But I think that talk of bans of months or even years are way off what I'd expect to happen.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

quarryman wrote: »
    N

Why should he be allowed play and earn for his club after this? The club own and have ultimate responsibility for him.

even when away on International duty with another fed and manager?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I think people need to layoff Suarez in a major way. As a footballer, he is the best striker in the Premier league and, arguably, the best striker in the world.

When he loses his head, he bites. When other players lose their head, they try to break bones, they elbow and they headbutt. Why biting? I'm very confident that it is something to do with his childhood.

People are calling Suarez a scumbag. Unfair. There are may players who I feel were worse than Suarez. None of these bites were premediated. He lost his head.

Compare that to, say, Roy Keane. There's a guy who will always be worse than Luis Suarez. Look at other players who make a conscious decision to hurt a fellow player. The names escape me but in the PL last a few years ago, a player was defending a corner in the final few minutes of a game where he was 3-1 down. He looked behind him, saw a defender, turned back around and then put his elbow though they guys face and broke his teeth. 3 match ban.

And what about the cowards that stamp on people after the ball was well gone? Again, far worse than Suarez.

The players who commit premediated acts are the ones we should br trying to hound out of football. Suarez is not a scumbag on the pitch. Far from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Leftist wrote: »
    he likes to play the victim. Don't think he's retarded, but incidents like his club excusing him even after he was found guilty of racial abuse, have only galvanised his victim mentality.

8 month ban from all comps imo.
    Yes, an 8 month ban.

Why not 9 month?

Or 7 month?

Why the specificity of 8 month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The club has to make a big call here and it might be Lfc pushing the Sanchez swap deal through at the end of it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

He does not have 'mental health issues', his first reaction when under pressure/angry/frustrated is to bite, the same way that some people lash out with their fists.

If you punch someone unprovoked you have mental issues. If you bite someone unprovoked on three desperate occasions then you have serious mental issues.

Sweeping this under the carpet doesn't help Suarez. The guy needs to channel his frustration better and not attack people for next to no reason.

It's actually quite disturbing that some people are that devoted to the guy that they're trying to rationalise biting someone for no reason. It's idiocy and it doesn't help Suarez either.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jasoncoylerd

The outpouring of fake anger from man united fans is laughable, theyre shocked and disgusted by this happening at the world cup........its surely a coincidence that its a liverpool player and theyre so "angry"...............never mind the workers in brazil that have died constructing the stadium whilst getting paid peanuts, lets get outraged and hop up on our high horses over a wee nibble lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Former Sheff Utd centre half Chris Morgan fractured Iain Humes skull in 2008, he had been sent off six times in his Sheff Utd career. Didnt seem to learn his lesson, didnt see much of it in the papers, never came across a thread on here about him.

How many were for second yellows, deliberate handball, last man tackles, verbal abuse etc.
    That means nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Bateman wrote: »
    It was a fairly nothing passage of play, what did he have to be angry about?

This is what puzzles me about the whole thing. The ball was nowhere near him, and it didn't look like the two had been having massive pull apart brawls. What exactly was his end game when he thought "Right, I'll just bite this guy now."? I can't even think of anything sarcastic that he thought he could achieve; what was the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Brilliant post from the other thread that I feel needs to the recognition it deserves.

Sums it up really.

Is accounts a contact sport, things taken out of context are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

The Uruguayan newspapers are playing down the bite somewhat. The main headlines are about qualification and the captain's goal.

La Republica (Sorry no English version)

http://www.lr21.com.uy/deportes

bite = mordida

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Biting is something you do as an unruly toddler not as a grown man.

The key thing here is not necessarily the bite, its the fact that it's the 3rd time.

He should be banned and needs some serious counselling.

The outpouring of fake anger from man united fans is laughable, theyre shocked and disgusted by this happening at the world cup........its surely a coincidence that its a liverpool player and theyre so "angry"...............never mind the workers in brazil that have died constructing the stadium whilst getting paid peanuts, lets get outraged and hop up on our high horses over a wee nibble lol

Well you're not in any way biased either :rolleyes:

How many were for second yellows, deliberate handball, last man tackles, verbal abuse etc.
    That means nothing.

Oh i apologise, i assumed you wanted someone with a track record of violence and injuring people, i found it, but sure look hes not Suarez so lets ignore it. Logic and you arent friends thats for sure.

You'd have about as much reason to bite someone in accounts as on a football pitch. I'm not sure what your point is.

You'd have about as much reason to bite someone in accounts as on a football pitch. I'm not sure what your point is.

If you cant see it then there aint much point entertaining you. Try to be less partisan and it would help you.

If you cant see it then there aint much point entertaining you. Try to be less partisan and it would help you.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Biting is something you do as an unruly toddler not as a grown man.

The key thing here is not necessarily the bite, its the fact that it's the 3rd time.

You can download a video of this one and his previous incidents on RTE. Careful though, it is 3 megbites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Usual scenarios associated with biting: Eating, cutting tape and when things get amorous in the bedroom.

Unusual scenarios associated with biting: Sports (both contact and non contact), work and virtually everything else.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do i win!?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do i win!?

Sure, you win pet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

What a stupid thing to do. I think a few people are getting a bit carried away, but then again it is his third time to do it.

I think FIFA will be pretty lenient with him. Can't see him missing any games for Liverpool. Not sure what fixtures Uruguay have coming up after the WC but I'm guessing nothing major for a while. Year's ban from international football maybe. Or a 5-7 game ban. Something like that.

Sure, you win pet.

Thanks dear. Back to your high horse now, any other pointless analogy's you wanna throw out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

So... has anyone updated the "Draw a footballer" thread yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I think people need to layoff Suarez in a major way. As a footballer, he is the best striker in the Premier league and, arguably, the best striker in the world.

When he loses his head, he bites. When other players lose their head, they try to break bones, they elbow and they headbutt. Why biting? I'm very confident that it is something to do with his childhood.

People are calling Suarez a scumbag. Unfair. There are may players who I feel were worse than Suarez. None of these bites were premediated. He lost his head.

The players who commit premediated acts are the ones we should br trying to hound out of football. Suarez is not a scumbag on the pitch. Far from it.

You cannot be serious.

Was the racism a case of 'losing the head'

He bites 3 different players, knowing exactly what he was doing ffs, and he's not a scumbag?

I just, wow. I will ask if I can use your post elsewhere?

Pulling+rafael+Hair.jpg
    NOT A SCUMBAG

Reedsie wrote: »
    What a stupid thing to do. I think a few people are getting a bit carried away, but then again it is his third time to do it.

I think FIFA will be pretty lenient with him. Can't see him missing any games for Liverpool. Not sure what fixtures Uruguay have coming up after the WC but I'm guessing nothing major for a while. Year's ban from international football maybe. Or a 5 game ban. Something like that.
    God help them if they do, the Utd lads will be doing up petitions in here if thats the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I, for one, cannot wait for this purging of the game. Where all fans, of every Club, ensure that the undesirable and ill natured folk associated in any capacity, be removed from their post. Be that player, manager, shareholder, or fan.

Sure, you may need to remove yourself, when you get down to it. But needs must, and all that. You can't have hypocrisy in this sacred game.

"Lets kick sinners out of football", should be the slogan. I can think of no better man than the reverend Sepp Blatter for such a task.

/sarcasm.

This Sport is fecked from the top down, if you're looking for morals and great standards. It doesn't exist, and we've all bought in.

Its pure entertainment, and I love it. It makes no sense whatsoever when you try to break it down, such is the tribalism involved among other factors.

The more success you bring, the more lenient we as fans are. But when its an average player, or a player for another team? Off with his bloody head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

You're missing the point entirely: Putting someone in hospital for three months is nowhere near the same as biting them on the shoulder. I'm not sure how I can put that any clearer.

The recidivism alone does not justify a lifetime ban. (If someone is sent off three times for diving, should they be banned for life? No.) That is dependent on the severity of the crime. And, as I've said a number of times now, there are far, far more dangerous crimes that you can commit on the pitch than biting. It's weird but not dangerous.

If you bite someone's ear/finger off or attempt to do so. That is obviously a different matter entirely, as I've discussed above.

So, you are excusing biting so long as you don't bite someone's ear off. Really? Have you thought this through? Biting a moving target is not easy. How do we know he wasn't trying to bite their ear off? So my defence in court for stabbing is that I wasn't trying to stab him to death, just trying to give him a little nick.

His first reaction when under pressure/angry/frustrated is to lash out by biting yet he doesn't have mental health issues? Really? This is getting more bizarre by the minute.

This is funny. hit me with the poor dead workers of Brazil in my arms.

There is no excuse. Three times he has bitten. He is a danger to others on the pitch. Regardless of what FIFA do or say, it would be reckless of his employer to let him out on the pitch again until his mental health issues have been sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

His Dad looks concerned

tumblr_mprkp4agaf1qeo6ejo1_400.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Again: it is just hysteria to describe Suarez as somehow a menace to other players on the pitch. Biting is not a severe case of violent conduct - how many players have had to leave the pitch after a bite, never mind have had their career ended?

Biting is weird and should be punished. But it is not dangerous. Or at least, it's significantly less so than a malicious tackle or actual violent assault. Banning someone for life for this is just hysterical.
    Hysterical?

On Boards??

Seriously???

:pac:

Knex. wrote: »
    I, for one, cannot wait for this purging of the game. Where all fans, of every Club, ensure that the undesirable and ill natured folk associated in any capacity, be removed from their post. Be that player, manager, shareholder, or fan.

Sure, you may need to remove yourself, when you get down to it. But needs must, and all that. You can't have hypocrisy in this sacred game.

"Lets kick sinners out of football", should be the slogan. I can think of no better man than the reverend Sepp Blatter for such a task.

/sarcasm.

This Sport is fecked from the top down, if you're looking for morals and great standards. It doesn't exist, and we've all bought in.

Its pure entertainment, and I love it. It makes no sense whatsoever when you try to break it down, such is the tribalism involved among other factors.

The more success you bring, the more lenient we as fans are. But when its an average player, or a player for another team? Off with his bloody head.

Mary Whitehouse would love a bit of this.:D

Oh i apologise, i assumed you wanted someone with a track record of violence and injuring people, i found it, but sure look hes not Suarez so lets ignore it. Logic and you arent friends thats for sure.

If they were all violent conduct then he most definitely should have had his position reviewed. A badly timed tackle is not the same as a malicious tackle.
    You said he was sent off 6 times as if that justified your example, it seems you are the one with the logic problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

It seems he already tried to bite Chiellini last year in the Confederations Cup :pac:

ppfDwFI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭chelseaaremagic

i watched it live on rte ....i waited for the 'panel's' opinion... i was shocked when it wasnt.... he's a disgrace..he's no example for the youth of the world etc etc etc but what we got was be should get off because diago costa didnt get 'done' for elbowing... shame on you bill herlihy and co

If they were all violent conduct then he most definitely should have had his position reviewed. A badly timed tackle is not the same as a malicious tackle.
    You said he was sent off 6 times as if that justified your example, it seems you are the one with the logic problem.

Do you know the player or have you ever heard of him? Anyone with a mild knowledge of him would know he was a violent thug of a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭recyclops

if suarez was in any other job he would be fired by his employer. why do footballers getting away with this crap

l

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I dont think he should get a ban from club football, He should get a long international ban and thats it.
    Christ people are seriously over reacting to this

recyclops wrote: »
    if suarez was in any other job he would be fired by his employer. why do footballers getting away with this crap

l
    Because its not 'any other job', its sport, its passionate, its heart on the sleeve, it makes people do things they wouldnt normally do, things happen that dont happen on the street, thats the nature of it. If you cant understand that then its not the kind of thing you should watch.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement