Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luis Suarez - Mod Note Post #1, #585 and #602

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

Golden tooth is more likely. No way he'll play in any more world cup games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Birroc wrote: »
    I think he will get 12 international games and I think the FA will slap on a smaller ban due to pressure. I also think he will move to Spain in January but on a smaller price tag (20m-40m)

I doubt the Premier League would have any remit to start banning people for what happens at an international tournament

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I think the fairest ban for Suarez would be to be banned for the rest of the world cup and miss the next 10 competitive Uruguayan matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

BMJD wrote: »
    And wins the world cup and golden boot :P

Would be very funny alright but with or without him theyre going out to Colombia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

After what happened the last time he bit Ivanovic, his disdain for the press and seeing their reaction to it now, does anyone else think he could be doing this to move away from England?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Good old sky sports news their too ashamed to talk about how poor their beloved England team are.

Bless that Suarez chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

glued wrote: »
    I think the fairest ban for Suarez would be to be banned for the rest of the world cup and miss the next 10 competitive Uruguayan matches.

Yeah, probably. Even as a Liverpool fan I would probably see that as being on the lenient side as well, in that it doesn't affect Club football.

But then again, I'm not so sure that they can do much with that regard, anyway. Thankfullyl! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

evil_seed wrote: »
    After what happened the last time he bit Ivanovic, his disdain for the press and seeing their reaction to it now, does anyone else think he could be doing this to move away from England?

At the cost of been sent home from the World Cup? Not a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

evil_seed wrote: »

Funny way to go about it. I imagine banging in loads of goals and causing no trouble would be a far easier way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

mikeym wrote: »
    Good old sky sports news their too ashamed to talk about how poor their beloved England team are.

Bless that Suarez chap.

They just did a long piece on their World Cup failures just before the main news. England are out of the World Cup since last week, Suarez bit a player yesterday, hardly a surprise they are leading with it now is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 jasoncoylerd

i cant believe no man united fans arent outraged by marchisios tackle, what a bloody disgrace! he needs a 3 game ban for that studs up challenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Funny, I don't remember this level of outrage when Jermaine Defoe bit Javier Mascherano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Robbie Savage reckons his price could increase due to this , Being that he won't be travelling back and forth to South America every few months.

I've seen people asking for a ban for Chiellini for the elbow but I can't agree with that at all , It was a natural reaction to sing his arm at Suarez when he latched onto him just like Ivanovic did when he bit him.

Funny, I don't remember this level of outrage when Jermaine Defoe bit Javier Mascherano.

Never even heard of it until Suarez bit Ivanovich. That's just the way it is.

spurs arent rivals of man united, nor was defoe one of the best players at the time, thats why theres wasnt outrage nor were there man united fans calling for him to get a long ban........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭pah

i cant believe no man united fans arent outraged by marchisios tackle, what a bloody disgrace! he needs a 3 game ban for that studs up challenge

wrong thread, also did you use a triple negative? what exactly are you trying to say?

spurs arent rivals of man united, nor was defoe one of the best players at the time, thats why theres wasnt outrage nor were there man united fans calling for him to get a long ban........

Man United Man United Man United.

I'd rather a bite than a headbutt or a leg break.

The lads on RTE made this point.

A bite won't badly injure an opponent. It's just a ridiculous rotten act.

It's hard to know where to place it in the scale of fouls Sadlier was saying.

Costa wasn't cited for a headbutt so I'm presuming biting is considered higher up the scale than headbutt.

His previous is of course the problem for him here. A first time offense and he might get away with a small enough punishment. A third offense though albeit the first from FIFA will be a severe one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

And Defoe is only a moderate a$$hole :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

From experience his behavior screams mild autism to me,he goes into the twilight zone and bites and he is not actually aware what he has done till after it happens

I actually feel sorry for the lad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Why are you calling out Man Utd fans about an incident in the Italy-Uruguay match, which didn't involve any Man Utd player, in a thread about Luis Suarez?:confused:

Zico wrote: »
    Why are you calling out Man Utd fans about an incident in the Italy-Uruguay match, which didn't involve any Man Utd player, in a thread about Luis Suarez?:confused:

It's a bit provocative really

As provocative as calling for Suarez to be banned from football entirely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if you ban him from all of football for biting, i look forward to worldwide bans for any tackle that gives no second thought to a player's well being.

what Suarez did was disgraceful, obviously, and for him not to learn from previous 2 times shows a distinct mental deficiency.

but people are in hysterics simply because it's a really really weird thing to do, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Can Suarez appeal this to the court of arbitration? I'm guessing he'll be innocent until proven guilty and it'll take a few weeks to do. It won't matter how long hes banned for after as long as he's in the World cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd rather a bite than a headbutt or a leg break.

The lads on RTE made this point.

A bite won't badly injure an opponent. It's just a ridiculous rotten act.

It's hard to know where to place it in the scale of fouls Sadlier was saying.

Costa wasn't cited for a headbutt so I'm presuming biting is considered higher up the scale than headbutt.

His previous is of course the problem for him here. A first time offense and he might get away with a small enough punishment. A third offense though albeit the first from FIFA will be a severe one.

I'd rather neither to be honest.

As provocative as calling for Suarez to be banned from football entirely?

At least that was on topic and in response to suggestions he wasn't able to control his actions. It's a logical outcome if the guy really can't stop biting people.

Harsh but fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

:pac::pac::pac: Suarez
    :mad: Chiellini
    :eek: Viewers
    :cool: Pirlo
    :confused: Ref
    :D Uruguay Fans
    :( Italian Fans

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

At least that was on topic and in response to suggestions he wasn't able to control his actions. It's a logical outcome if the guy really can't stop biting people.

Harsh but fair.

And then clubs won't let their players play internationals?

SlickRic wrote: »
    if you ban him from all of football for biting, i look forward to worldwide bans for any tackle that gives no second thought to a player's well being.

what Suarez did was disgraceful, obviously, and for him not to learn from previous 2 times shows a distinct mental deficiency.

but people are in hysterics simply because it's a really really weird thing to do, nothing else.

Not in a million years is it worse than a leg breaking tackle and how many of those are banned for years?

He deserves a ban without a doubt but not the ridiculous lengths the moral high grounders want.

• Advertisement

egghead. wrote: »
    I'd rather neither to be honest.

It wasn't a question but yeah I'd imagine no player wants either!

Harsh but fair.

Hardly. The original point which was made is that club loyalties are clouding people's perspectives on this issue and leading to all kinds of hysterical nonsense, which is evidenced by people advocating a lifetime ban from football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

So when is it ok to be outraged? If he bites someone for the 4th time or will you keep on referring to other incidents?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

From experience his behavior screams mild autism to me,he goes into the twilight zone and bites and he is not actually aware what he has done till after it happens

I actually feel sorry for the lad

I agree here. Im not a football expert. I only watch the World Cup but Ive seen him interviewed and he seems like a genuinely nice guy. He's s really exciting player to watch. Those two goals against England were magic. The biting is impulsive, not premeditated and he's his own worst enemy as a result. I agree with Richie Sadlier too... There are much worse things that are done on the football pitch. Biting someone is horrific and goes against natural human instincts but the 'victim' won't be injured long term. Suarez is only hurting himself. He totally deserves a ban and more. But it's sad that we won't get to see him play again in this WC and the back lash that he'll get in England if he does play for Liverpool again would scare me for him.

pah wrote: »
    wrong thread, also did you use a triple negative? what exactly are you trying to say?

do you work for the grammar police?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Interesting comments on the basis that in Ireland broken jaws, noses and teeth are fairly regular incidents at GAA matches.
    Now I know this is a different sport/game, but it is still against the rules (supposedly) to assault other players, officials etc.

Suarez's actions are totally wrong and he deserves to be banned for the remaining games in this tournament and possible beyond.
    But his "crime" needs to be compared and considered in relation to other non sportsman-like actions!

Is biting worse than deliberate punching, head-butting, elbowing etc. I believe it is not (don't agree with it but ....) - Other may disagree!
    I have been the victim of some very well aimed elbows, and have witnessed sickening assaults on the playing field which makes the Suarez's incident pale into insignificance (well maybe not into insignificance, but his actions should be considered and dealt with in a rational basis)

He deserves to be punished - but he is not Hitler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

RasTa wrote: »
    Taken from the other thread

I wonder if Uruguay fans/media will turn on him if he does get banned for the rest of the tournament.

Anybody know how their media are responding to the charge announced today

BBC 5 live where doing interviews with Urrguay fans some were saying that media are after him and some where saying he has let the country down and that they have no chance of winning the world cup with out him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Not in a million years is it worse than a leg breaking tackle and how many of those are banned for years?

He deserves a ban without a doubt but not the ridiculous lengths the moral high grounders want.

Agree with this. What he did is just weird. I personally think Roy Keane's tackle on Haaland was infinitely more scummy due to the pre-meditated nature of the attack. A heat of the moment nibble is nothing in comparison. Weird, yes. Should he be punished? Yes. Should in ruin his career? Absolutely not.

I still think he's finished though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Every tackle could break a leg, they aren't going to ban tackles and you aren't going to get a player to admit they tried to break a leg. Suarez intentionally assaulted another professional, it's clear as day

because the majority of people that are screaming outrage and calling for a ban are man united fans, if it was jon flanagan that bit someone yesterday for the third time he wouldnt be a liverpool player and if he was man united fans wouldnt care because hes not a threat to them in terms of how well liverpool will do if they retain suarez next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭brock92

I don't want him banned, i want the animal put down. One shot... BANG BANG

• Advertisement

Every tackle could break a leg, they aren't going to ban tackles and you aren't going to get a player to admit they tried to break a leg. Suarez intentionally assaulted another professional, it's clear as day

Same as when somebody throws an elbow or throws a headbutt - both of which can and do lead to much, much more serious injuries than nipping at someone, however stupid that may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Liverpool fans Suarez fans are trying to downplay the incident like a good lawyer tries to get the best sentence for his client...

It's like trying to argue that spitting in a player's face causes no real harm only mild inconvenience, therefore the punishment shouldn't be as severe as a bad tackle. :rolleyes:

Suarez should be investigated by police for assault and charged under criminal law, not investigate by sporting law or sporting bodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

He's a silly and slightly mentally disturbed lad , he's had two warnings with this already and should be experienced enough to have learned from it.

Two year ban? No , as said a leg breaking tackle is worst than biting, it's just a really scummy thing to do and is a really bad example to youngsters in the game who look up to this fella. He's meant to be a world class player and a role model.

After all that work to get fit for the world cup and the support of his whole country behind him he goes and does that, he's let his whole country down on a massive level and embarrassed them on the world stage.

First time was an 8 game ban , 2nd was a ten game ban. He should be sent home immediatly and serve a 15 game ban starting with the world cup, if Uruguay go out next round he's 14 left , if they make the final 11 etc, then that eleven goes into club football. He should be also forced to see a mental health professional before returning to football or maybe an anger management professional.

If there is ever a 4th incident after that 2 year ban hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Our culture finds a bite to be more shocking.

I wonder is it the same in South America, or on the streets where he grew up. I doubt it.

smemon wrote: »
    Liverpool fans Suarez fans are trying to downplay the incident like a good lawyer tries to get the best sentence for his client...

And Manchester United fans Chiellini fans are trying to hysterically overhype the incident like a good lawyer tries to convince a judge to hang someone.

The truth, as always, lies somewhere in the middle.

Hardly. The original point which was made is that club loyalties are clouding people's perspectives on this issue and leading to all kinds of hysterical nonsense, which is evidenced by people advocating a lifetime ban from football.

How many times would he need to bite players to qualify for a lifetime ban then?

Or do you think being bitten is just a hazard of the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

4-8 game international ban and a 6-7 figure fine.

sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

smemon wrote: »

It's like trying to argue that spitting in a player's face causes no real harm only mild inconvenience, therefore the punishment shouldn't be as severe as a bad tackle. :rolleyes:

Suarez should be investigated by police for assault and charged under criminal law, not investigate by sporting law or sporting bodies.

Why because you don't like the man. If you do this for Suarez the whole game is ****ed. There will be court cases every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

The set of rules and guidlines need to be reassessed. if biting comes under same bracket as punching someone or headbutting someone the ban should fall in line with this.

The reason i think the ban should be as harsh as they can possible give (say two years) is because of the repeat offence of the incident. if a player will not learn from what they have done then you have to make the punishment worse. I love him as a player and he is truely exciting to watch but biting people is a joke.

People have said what about defoe doing it thats fine, but Defoe has not done it again. If you had a player for any club who threw a punch on more than one occassion i would call for the same. Football has no room for punches, biting, intentional elbows etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Irishcrx wrote: »
    He's a silly and slightly mentally disturbed lad , he's had two warnings with this already and should be experienced enough to have learned from it.

Two year ban? No , as said a leg breaking tackle is worst than biting, it's just a really scummy thing to do and is a really bad example to youngsters in the game who look up to this fella. He's meant to be a world class player and a role model.

After all that work to get fit for the world cup and the support of his whole country behind him he goes and does that, he's let his whole country down on a massive level and embarrassed them on the world stage.

First time was an 8 game ban , 2nd was a ten game ban. He should be sent home immediatly and serve a 15 game ban starting with the world cup, if Uruguay go out next round he's 14 left , if they make the final 11 etc, then that eleven goes into club football. He should be also forced to see a mental health professional before returning to football or maybe an anger management professional.

If there is ever a 4th incident after that 2 year ban hands down.

this is sensible

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement