Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luis Suarez - Mod Note Post #1, #585 and #602

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

glued wrote: »
    Fred's dive in the first game is still the worst moment in this WC for me.

I'll be honest an say that if Suarez didn't play for Liverpool I wouldn't really give much of a shít about this. Suarez needs to channel his nervousness, frustration and aggression in a better manner and when he bit Ivanovic the FA should of ensured that he got some sort of counselling or at least sat down with a professional but they don't really give two fúcks about the players it's all about the message with them. Liverpool also need to hold their hands up and say what did they do to help Suarez.

Apparently he had his own counsellor with Liverpool...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I enjoy the faux-outrage whenever he does something unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Probably goes to show that we really don't know what type of ban he will get, as there is no heavy favourite, a bit of a spread...

312140.PNG

The favourite at the moment is 19 games or more at 7/2, which surprises me a bit. Tassotti got just 6 games for breaking Luis Enrique's nose with an elbow in 94, so I would've guessed that the ban would be enough to end Suarez's World Cup, but not to keep him out of International football for over a year...

That said, maybe the fact it's a repeat offence will be taken into account?

Uruguay's and Suarez's reaction needs to be taken into account too.

For me, the wise thing to do would be to own up and explain that he lost control. He wouldn't be the first footballer to do it (not even at this World Cup, with Song and Pepe losing their heads stupidly already), it's just that his reaction (biting) is so bizarre, so alien and so incomprehensible to the majority of us, whereas a punch or butt are more understandable/justifiable. It is, of course, not as bad as a case as Tassotti's elbow, but it is incredibly dirty and sets a bad example, and therefore maybe the actual damage caused to Chiellini (pretty minimal) can't be used as the sole barometer to punish him.

I hope that that don't try and defend him, and argue that it's not clear, because the evidence is pretty much irrefutable. I can understand the initial reactions last night, as things were not 100% clear and you defend your player unless there is obvious evidence otherwise, but the time for denial has passed.

I could have little sympathy if they give him a long ban if they try to spin this. The world is watching and the world has seen, and there's little if any room for doubt - he and Uruguay need to face the music.

When trying to guess the length of the ban, it also needs to be remembered that we are predominantly consuming British media, and this isn't quite the outrage and media storm in other countries to the same extent as in England. This is partly because of the media obsession with Suarez, and partly because of the footballing culture in England and the way underhand behavior is generally viewed, compared to other countries. For example, Marca last night led with Godin's winner with the Suarez incident as a sub-story, and they did the same in their match report with the Ivanovic incident - the bite was secondary to the result of the match and the last minute winner. The drama of the bite will be secondary to the drama of the result in many countries. I'm sure many countries would find it bizarre that on the night England limped out to Costa Rica, the headline was about the Suarez bite instead of their own country's fortunes. So I'm not sure if the FA's previous 10 game ban is a marker to be set here, as it was an English ban - this will be an international ban.

He certainly deserves to be banned for some length of time, at least enough to keep him out of the World Cup. It's a real shame he lost his cool again, as we won't be able to see him perform in the biggest WC matches, and there were signs that he had turned his behaviour around in the last year. But as has been said, it seems to be 'hardwired' into him, an instinctive animal reaction, but ultimately one that is hard to fathom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Robbie Savage reckons his price could increase due to this , Being that he won't be travelling back and forth to South America every few months.

I've seen people asking for a ban for Chiellini for the elbow but I can't agree with that at all , It was a natural reaction to sing his arm at Suarez when he latched onto him just like Ivanovic did when he bit him.
    Robbie Savage is probably the worst football "pundit" of all time. I wouldn't pay too much attention to what he says unless you're doing it for comedy reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

And Manchester United fans Chiellini fans are trying to hysterically overhype the incident like a good lawyer tries to convince a judge to hang someone.

The truth, as always, lies somewhere in the middle.

Nah Chelsea, Arsenal, City etc hell even non football fans are pretty disgusted by it. Mainly down to it being the 3rd time but keep on plugging away at the United angle for whatever bizarre reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭EvanCornwallis

King Louis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

RasTa wrote: »
    Nah Chelsea, Arsenal, City etc hell even non football fans are pretty disgusted by it. Mainly down to it being the 3rd time but keep on plugging away at the United angle for whatever bizarre reason.

Yes but they haven't over 270 posts between five of them now. Do you think that's a bit excessive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

a6w0RPN_700b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Reekwind wrote: »
    Name the number of players who have had to leave the pitch over a case of biting in football history. Now name the number who have been stretchered off due to violent assault or malicious tackles.

Breaking someone's leg is a severe case of violent conduct. Knocking someone unconscious is a severe case of violent conduct. Biting someone's shoulder does not compare to either of those.

You want me to name players who have had to leave the pitch due to being bitten? Thats really silly. I could ask you to name players who have actually bitten other players but what would that prove? Nothing.

And you seriously cannot say that every tackle that results in a broken leg/injury is violent conduct. Each incident has to be taken on its own merit.

And how about that player who got knocked out last week when he was accidentally hit on the head by the opposing players' knee? Was that violent conduct? Or was it clearly in fact an accident.

Come on now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why because you don't like the man. If you do this for Suarez the whole game is ****ed. There will be court cases every week.

I'm pretty sure players arn't biting other players every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

RasTa wrote: »

Are people really genuinely "disgusted" by it in a "think of the children" hysterical way? If Suarez was some no name player from Uruguay and he did this I imagine a lot of people would find it hilarious. A bit odd but hilarious.

He deserves his punishment but I don't really buy all the moralising around it. Most of which is just faux outrage.

I'm pretty sure players arn't biting other players every week.

He mentioned assault not a biting incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

King Louis

What has van Gaal to do with this ?

Are people really genuinely "disgusted" by it in a "think of the children" hysterical way? If Suarez was some no name player from Uruguay and he did this I imagine a lot of people would find it hilarious. A bit odd but hilarious.

He deserves his punishment but I don't really buy all the moralising around it. Most of which is just faux outrage.

I'm sure people found the first one 'hilarious' After the 3rd time it's pretty fcking disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Yes but they haven't over 270 posts between five of them now. Do you think that's a bit excessive.

This thread would be dead by now if people didn't try to defend or excuse Suarez much like the last couple of episodes involving him.

It seems he's not the only one caught in a self-destructive cycle.

Totally agree. People act like he's this huge controversial figure. All he has ever done is nibble a few people, that's not great. We have seen much worse though.

weisses wrote: »
    What has van Gaal to do with this ?

:confused:

He mentioned assault not a biting incident.

Biting is assault no? Big difference between 'assualt' because of a bad tackle. Then purposely biting someone.

Biting is assault no? Big difference between 'assualt' because of a bad tackle. Then purposely biting someone.

So what are you trying to say it's ok to assault a player using an elbow or a head but not by biting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I'm not outraged at all by it but would still love to see the book being thrown at him with both an international and club matches ban.

Reason for this is he is a racist scumbag, simple as.

Reading Dunphy's thing today saying Suarez needs psychiatric help is laughable.

He is Uruguay's version of a scumbag chav you see outside the Spar shop on Talbot street, but he just happens to be handy at scoring goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Uruaguay is a popular country in South America, not many countries have anything buit a good impression of the country and the people (believe it or not) have reputation of being very laid back. Against that the English media is universally disliked in South America, the football team wouldn't be awfully popular either.

Yet still, they have all being fairly forthright in their condemnation.

He deserves an international ban, ridiculous to impose it on his club, and he deserves his condemnation.

However anyone who is pretending to be horrified by the incident and not horrified by other attempts to injure players (and even fans) is not capable of objective thinking.

I'm not outraged at all by it but would still love to see the book being thrown at him with both an international and club matches ban.

Reason for this is he is a racist scumbag, simple as.

Reading Dunphy's thing today saying Suarez needs psychiatric help is laughable.

He is Uruguay's version of a scumbag chav you see outside the Spar shop on Talbot street, but he just happens to be handy at scoring goals.

lol

So what are you trying to say it's ok to assault a player using an elbow or a head but not by biting.

No I'm saying there is a difference. Jumping up for a header and catching someone with an elbow is completely different to biting someone. Same way going in for a tackle and breaking a leg by accident is hardly assault. There is no such thing as 'accidently biting someone'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Some Liverpool fans trying to play down shameful behaviour by one of their players yet again.

They must have copyright now on the "being picked on by the media" and " man utd fans with faux outrage" etc etc.

Thank God for most that are being rational about it, albeit with a bit of bias which is normal.

Its funny at the start listening to the stupid reasoning to play down what he did but its ultimately its tedious in the extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

This is it. When Jermaine Defoe did it, I laughed at the bizarreness of it. He wasn't sent off or retrospectively punished. I felt he should have been.

The problem here is that it doesn't seem to be categorised. So people have their differing opinions on the seriousness of it. For me, I'd class it as violent conduct the same as throwing the head in or punching someone. So three game ban or whatever that is or whatever Pepe got done for.

adox wrote: »
    Some Liverpool fans trying to play down shameful behaviour by one of their players yet again.

They must have copyright now on the "being picked on by the media" and " man utd fans with faux outrage" etc etc.

Thank God for most that are being rational about it, albeit with a bit of bias which is normal.

Its funny at the start listening to the stupid reasoning to play down what he did but its ultimately its tedious in the extreme.

What in the name of Jesus are you on about. Who said anything about being picked on by the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

If you were watching your kid play football and someone's child bit them i wonder would it be the same ah he only had a nibble attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH I don't see why Liverpool should be sanctioned for his actions whilst on International duty. He should receive a long term ban from International Football and be compelled to get counseling because he definitely has a serious mental problem if he keeps acting this way.

As an Arsenal fan I am relieved that he didn't join us last year and I do think he is doing severe harm to the reputation of Liverpool football club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I'd say he'll get a ban for a few international games but do we expect Liverpool to do anything ? Fine him or force him to get counselling or something like that. He's their biggest asset and his face is on pretty much everything you see them advertising , stuff like this doesn't reflect well on them even if it has nothing to do with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm disgusted by it in the same level as Tyson biting Holyfield's ear. Not sure why Liverpool fans are on the defensive since it's an international match.

My main reason for the disgust is that it's the 3rd feckin time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

adox wrote: »

usually follows the same pattern.

denial.
    blaming someone else.
    Writing it off as no big deal.

not a crime in itself but in english football, there isn't a set of people who are so easily offended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

monkey9 wrote: »
    This is it. When Jermaine Defoe did it, I laughed at the bizarreness of it. He wasn't sent off or retrospectively punished. I felt he should have been.

The problem here is that it doesn't seem to be categorised. So people have their differing opinions on the seriousness of it. For me, I'd class it as violent conduct the same as throwing the head in or punching someone. So three game ban or whatever that is or whatever Pepe got done for.

So where does spitting rank? Above or below biting?
    monkey9 Diouf is a disgrace of a player. Absolute vermin. At Liverpool, when he spat at the Celtic fans, i never wanted him in a red shirt again.

I am pie wrote: »
    However anyone who is pretending to be horrified by the incident and not horrified by other attempts to injure players (and even fans) is not capable of objective thinking.

I've seen lots of players try to injure opponents.

I had never heard of a football player biting an opponent before I'd heard of Luis Suarez now I've seen one player do it twice. (i've never seen the first incident)

I think you're not being truthful if you suggest that you don't find Suarez's actions more shocking than the kind of malicious tackling that you see every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭comewatmay

gandalf wrote: »
    TBH I don't see why Liverpool should be sanctioned for his actions whilst on International duty. He should receive a long term ban from International Football and be compelled to get counseling because he definitely has a serious mental problem if he keeps acting this way.

As an Arsenal fan I am relieved that he didn't join us last year and I do think he is doing severe harm to the reputation of Liverpool football club.

As an arsenal fan that is an idiotic statement. Had ye signed him his 31 goals would have won ye the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Omackeral wrote: »
    Before UFC was properly regulated, it was considered barbaric and primitive yet still had a 'No Biting' rule. So even in that world, it was considered scummy.

Also have no punching below waist but no out cry when Wayne Rooney stamped on a players nuts on past world cups :)

I'd say the same. If Suarez ran into the crowd and bit a fan, that'd be serious implications right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Quite saddened for the player and the tournament in general because he's a joy to watch. Just a shame he's an absolute headcase.

I think in regards the severity of what he's done and comparing it to breaking legs and elbowing, its very difficult to say one is worse than the other. In terms of pain, I'd rather be bitten than have my leg broken.

However, in terms of basic human behavior, biting someone is a disgusting and deplorable act. He could transmit a disease by biting someone.

In the grand scheme of footballing violent conduct, the worst thing I've ever seen was Ben Thatcher nearly killing Pedro Mendes. I feel something like that would merit a lifetime ban and a prison sentence. This for me was the lowest of the low.

That said, banning the chap for life is over the top in my opinion. 6 months is a suitable punishment IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Diouf wasn't good, you see.

Monkey's point about it being a fan and not a player is also valid, for me.

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    I'd say the same. If Suarez ran into the crowd and bit a fan, that'd be serious implications right there.

So biting a human being watching a game is worse than biting a human being playing a game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

The situation is indefensible. Once is bizarre in a red mist / over reaction type of way ... 3 times is deeply problematic and needs to be dealt with as such by the governing bodies.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

So biting a human being watching a game is worse than biting a human being playing a game?

Well, yeah? Especially when its a contact sport.

If Suarez had no contact with Chelini and ran up and bit him out of the blue, it would be worse than the actual incident.

Multiply it again for if he did it to a fan.

Giving someone an unprovoked suckerpunch is far worse than two people jostling before one swings a punch, etc.

Well yeah of course. You're going to get a longer ban if you elbow a fan in the head for example that if you elbow a player during a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Knex. wrote: »

If Suarez had no contact with Chelini and ran up and bit him out of the blue
    That's pretty much what happened, isn't it?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Ahh for faux sake. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

comewatmay wrote: »
    As an arsenal fan that is an idiotic statement. Had ye signed him his 31 goals would have won ye the title.

If What Maybe......or he could have lost his head, bitten someone and been banned for the whole season.

We're talking facts and we didn't sign him. The fact is that Liverpool have a player associated with them who has been charged by the authorities as been racist. Has form for biting and has probably ended his and maybe Uruguay's World Cup with another incident of biting.

I commend Brendan Rodgers and his team last season they obviously did a great job keeping Suarez on the straight and narrow and hopefully they can do the same next season. Maybe they should have liaised with the Uruguayan team about Suarez (or maybe they did).

Well, yeah? Especially when its a contact sport.

If Suarez had no contact with Chelini and ran up and bit him out of the blue, it would be worse than the actual incident.

Multiply it again for if he did it to a fan.

Giving someone an unprovoked suckerpunch is far worse than two people jostling before one swings a punch, etc.

Oh dear...

Diouf wasn't good, you see.

Monkey's point about it being a fan and not a player is also valid, for me.

Somehow I think his opinion would be the same had Diouf spit at a player, as you say it's because Diouf wasn't good.

Diouf spitting at a fan once = get rid
    Suarez biting a player for the 3rd time = meh?

I presume he'll get an international ban and go back to Liverpool like nothing happened until he does it again.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Ahh for faux sake. :D

Ah heyor Leiv it ouh!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement