Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewing machine problems.

Options
  • 25-06-2014 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi
    I have an old Singer machine. It's probably about 30-40 years old. I use it sporadically to hem things & sew in straight lines. No tricky fabrics, just normal stuff.
    There always seems to be a problem with it. I rarely change any settings on it as I'm afraid it'll really banjax it. Things exploded in it last Summer & I got it "serviced" for 150e or so. I thought I never spent money on it before & maybe this will fix all the annoying unpredictable faults in it.
    Fast forward (after maybe 2 uses) to this Summer & the thread won't flippin' come up through the fabric at all.
    I 'you tubed' it & (after disconnecting it from the mains of course) got the screw driver & pliers out. I took apart & cleaned around the bobbin area. It was filthy with bits of old thread & dust. So much for the 150e service! I tightened something underneath that didn't really need much tightening & tried again. Nothing. My knowledgeable friend had a look too. No joy.

There's no point in ringing the guy who serviced it, I have no faith in him and I'm not shelling out more money.

Before it bit the dust it was always doing a few stitches, then some big loose stitch & then when I turn it around & there's a whole tangle of thread on the underside of the fabric. Changing the tension or fabric doesn't make any difference.

I know they have a good reputation so I'm reluctant to get another machine & it has sentimental value. I am no sewing expert, far from it, but I got my friend to look too & she couldn't figure it out.

Any wise women or men out there with a magical simple answer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

oooh no ,150 quid for a service and no cleaning, that's terrible. it's about 50 in the singer centre, unless you need parts.

sounds like some parts have seized, if you are getting no thread pulled up from the bobbin. out a bobbin obstruction.

you have a tension problem if you are getting the tangle of thread under your fabric.

re thread, but really take the time to make sure the thread is going in between each disk. If there is an issue you should be able to work out which one it is. each one can be replaced.

did the machine have a strip of sewing in the machine when you collected it mine always does to prove it was tested before it was given back, mine always does.

try calling singer, they have a UK help desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I have a singer sewing maching - about 70 years old - its a total WORKHORSE, have used it to make about 20 sets of curtains, upholstered about 5 chairs, endless sewing projects - Im crap at sewing, but this machine keeps going and going.
    I think the older Singers are the better ones too. Sounds like your service guy didnt do much for you - sickening. Maybe bring it to a Singer centre to have it properly done - get a quote first though?

Anyway just some thoughts - is the thread on your bobbin the SAME as the thread on your reel? This is important!

Is there a screw on the bobbin case that you can tighten/loosen?

When you put the bobbin in the bobbin case, do you pull the thread through the 'hole' before putting it back into the machine (if you know what I mean)

Have you tried completely loosening the tension wheel at the front of the machine, try sewing, then moving it to tighter position, try sewing etc.

Are you absolutely sure that you have threaded the machine absolutely correctly - its amazing the difference/problems that can cause.

sorry cant help really - what model is it - there must be a site you can google and get answers about that specific machine, like:

http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/tension/

or

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100414161136AAD2Hpn

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Check that the thread that goes round the dial on the front of the machine actually goes between the tension discs and not in front or behind them. Make sure that the thread from the shuttle is feeding the right way and again goes through the tension plate on the bobbin holder, not just coming up from the bobbin. Put in a new needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nomette

Hi,

See if any of this can help.

Generally Singers used curved bobbins not the flat ones with multiple symmetrical holes on the surface. The latter do not fit correctly.

Make sure the thread is wound on the bobbin to the same tension as it would be on the spool of thread; place your finger on the top of the spool of thread when you are winding the bobbin to get extra tension on the bobbin.

Always make sure the bobbin thread is coming out from the bobbin in an anti-clock wise direction.

The screw you tightened on the bobbin case (a tiny screw) affects the tension of the bobbin, a tiny adjustment on that affects the tension significantly so maybe loosen that again.

Check that the needle is inserted correctly, generally with the flat side facing away from you or on some older machines facing to your right.

Generally the rule of thumb is if you have loose stitches on the bottom of your seam then the problem is with the upper spool and vice-versa.
    Your tension discs should always be at either 3 or 5 anything above or below is too loose or too tight.
    There is a little D shaped spring to the left of the tension discs, make sure the thread engages in this when threading. You should hear it click when you pull the thread up. Also when threading the upper thread always hold the thread with both hands to make sure it is snugly fitted into the tension discs and the spring, to create the tension needed for sewing.
    Hope something in this works for you. Old machines really are the best, they will go forever.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

I have an old electric Singer same age and I am told a decent make. But it gave trouble recently in that the bobbin thread was not being picked up by the needle. I was told it needed a new gear and it would cost 70 euro. I managed to buy an even older model (non electric) for that amount and I think I could have bought a used electric for same price in Singer shop in Dublin though not in such good condition as my one.

So it is hard to know when to stop spending money on an old machine. But that being said, they say the modern machines are trouble as well as being too complex.

PM me if you would like details of chap who would do a decent repair if one is needed.
    (South Dublin)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭boardsusername

A belated thank you for the suggestions.
    I was helped by a very knowledgeable woman with years of sewing experience.
    She threaded the machine differently to the way I threaded it for the past 20 years. It works now with no puckering or half a spool of thread on the underside. The tension is perfect now.
    Either I just got lucky up to now or my machine fancied a change!

Advertisement