Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oak chips for wine

Options
  • 25-06-2014 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

I know I put this on another thread but im worried I messed things up already.

I got a packet of oak chips (30g) with my wine and im not sure what to do wirh them, they're not mentioned on the instructions. I also supidly filled up my fermenter too much by two litres, is this a cause for concern?

Fermenting slowly since yesterday...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

When you say you filled it up by too much, do you mean the recipe calls for, say 23 litres and you put in 25?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Khannie wrote: »
    When you say you filled it up by too much, do you mean the recipe calls for, say 23 litres and you put in 25?

Yeah thats it exactly. The recipe said put in 20l of water at room temp, then add concentrate to make 24, it ended up being 26!

I spose i'm just wondering how much it will affect the ABV but i guess ill find out soon enough.

You'll find it a bit watery. I've done that myself in the past.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'd chuck the oak chips into the fermenter for primary fermentation, and leave them behind when racking to secondary. That's how it has worked with any of the wine kits I've made so far that included them.

• Advertisement

Thanks ill throw them in now. Is there any way I coulf thicken it? Maybe add more sugar during fermentation?

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Thanks ill throw them in now. Is there any way I coulf thicken it? Maybe add more sugar during fermentation?

No, that'll just add more alcohol (and probably not in a good way). Ah you're only over by 10%. It's not that bad at all.

Advertisement