Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up a council house

Options
  • 25-06-2014 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi
    Im thinking of giving up my council house and start renting privatly.
    Im a bit puzzled on whether or not if i'd be entitled to rent allowance, I've read so many things about it and some are saying you wouldnt get rent allowance and others are saying you would be entitled to it after renting privatley for 6 months!!
    My reason for doing this is the estate i live in nobody likes us (myself, partner and son).
    Most of our neighbours are making are lives a living hell..They have told numerous lies about us to my partners parents and i was told just the other day that someone called social services on us because we had a few friends over, they were just visting my son who is only 2 months old there was no bad behaviour or anything to bring attention to my house it was just a friendly visit..I just feel so depressed and afraid to leave my home..I have no family where i live they all live in a different county, I have tried to get a transfer up to them but was told by the county council that they wouldnt transfer us up and if i was to get on the transfer list it could take up to nine years before i would be considered a house and i just couldnt wait that long..Myself and partner are under 25 and just want a quiet life to enjoy our little family but where we're living at the moment its just to hard to be happy when people are running us to the ground..So a friend of mine is planning on renting a house to us but im really not sure what to do id get out of here in a heartbeat but i dont want to be left homeless with a 2 month old baby.
    Sorry for the really long question but please any advice would be grateful.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I think you'll be excluded from RS unless you can prove to the council that there were extenuating circumstances that forced you to leave the state provided accommodation you're currently in. Are you not able to pay the rent from your partner's wages?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 leonah1993

We have talked to the council and they know our situtation but they didnt seemed to shocked so im assuming that they've had some complaints about that estate already..we could possibly afford rent out of our pockets but my partners job isnt a secure job people are forever getting let go..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you been reporting your problems with people in the estate to the council? That will be your first step.

Also - don't believe every rumour you hear. If there were no problems with your visitors, then you have nothing to be concerned about even if they did report you to social services (which they probably didn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭lovelyjubbly

I think you can't get rent allowance or apply for housing for two years. You cannot get rent allowance without having a housing need and are on the housing list.

It has been my experience that once you give up a council house they won't entertain you for the two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You need to keep notes and records of any incidents which you are not happy about, keep a notebook and record the date and time and description of incidents and those involved. You can then present this to the council as evidence and if they do nothing they are failing in their duty as your landlord.

• Advertisement

We have recorded everything and have told the council about everything..im not to worried about the rumours or reports their making..its just one of the neighbours keeps stopping my partner on the street and warning him to have nobody around the house basicaly telling us what we can and cant do in our home..im worried that my partner will loose his cool and then the situation becoming more out of hand..i have been treatened aswell that if im caught on my own anywhere id be killed..im just so scared to leave my house i only go out once a week to do shopping (supervised by my partner) and then the rest of the week i dont leave..i dont understand why they have so much hate against us..i just want to leave cause i dont want my son growing up with something like this going on..thanks everyone for the replys

leonah1993 wrote: »
    i have been treatened aswell that if im caught on my own anywhere id be killed.......

Did that thread get reported to the guards - what did they do about it?

What are the council doing to help you resolve it, eg have they offered a transfer in their area to a different neighbourhood? If not, then I would suggest approach your local Councillors - if one isn't helpful, try one from a different political party. (I'm not allowed to tell you what party has a reputation for being more effective at resolving neighborhood issues .. but one does.)

Sadly, there are some very nasty people in Irish society. Yours isn't the only story like this that I've heard.

It was reported to the gaurds and they called down to their house but i think it made the situation worse..the gaurds didnt call to me after they spoke with the person so i felt that they didnt help at all..the council said they'd try their best if the could to get us a transfer but i dont think it will help still living in the same town..i just dont know what to do my mind is on over drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Are you able to do a mutual transfer with someone who might be looking for a house in your area?
    If so, place some ads and get the feelers out there.

Ive posted a few adds so hopefully someone would swap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'd be making a nuisance of myself with the local TD's too. Give them the information you've been compiling and tell them the council refuse to help you.

When the people were going round looking for votes i told one of them about my situation and they said they would contact the local councilor and see what they could do, they got back to me and told me id have to contact the council myself.

Im only 20 years old and know nothing only a few things that ive read off the internet..i just dont want to make a huge mistake by giving the keys back as im so grateful for the home i have it just some people in the estate ruin it.

I was also told by Kildare County Council that they dont do transfers and refused to send me transfer forms..Can any council refuse to put me on the transfer list?? Would love to move back to Kildare as i was born and raised there and all my family and relatives live up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

When the people were going round looking for votes i told one of them about my situation and they said they would contact the local councilor and see what they could do, they got back to me and told me id have to contact the council myself.

Im only 20 years old and know nothing only a few things that ive read off the internet..i just dont want to make a huge mistake by giving the keys back as im so grateful for the home i have it just some people in the estate ruin it.

I was also told by Kildare County Council that they dont do transfers and refused to send me transfer forms..Can any council refuse to put me on the transfer list?? Would love to move back to Kildare as i was born and raised there and all my family and relatives live up there.

Any decent councillor/TD will contact the council on your behalf and will send you a copy of the letter they have sent.
    Like Mrs O Bumble said, there is a certain political party who are more proactive than others when it comes to these matters.

I must go to another TD and see i have picked the wrong one..some dont care for others only themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

See them all! Find out when the surgeries are, and present yourself at each and every one.

Can any council refuse to put me on the transfer list?? Would love to move back to Kildare as i was born and raised there and all my family and relatives live up there.

Well, yes, they can. There is not requirement for them to help people who are not currently living in their area, and the Dublin ones, in particular, have enough problems with people they've already got.

But every rule has exceptions, and your situation plus family and relatives being there should give you a strong case.

Can you get your family to contact the council there on your behalf, and argue the case, based on how worried they are about you? Maybe you'll need to go and visit them for a week, so you can go to the council offices with them?

Actually, there's another thought .. can you go and visit overnight with some family and friends? That could give you a break from the current situation. It's really not good for your or the baby to be locked in the house all the time.

Alternatively, could you transfer to some other county where there's not so much pressure on council housing? Do you have connections anywhere else in the country?

Well, yes, they can. There is not requirement for them to help people who are not currently living in their area, and the Dublin ones, in particular, have enough problems with people they've already got.

But every rule has exceptions, and your situation plus family and relatives being there should give you a strong case.

Can you get your family to contact the council there on your behalf, and argue the case, based on how worried they are about you? Maybe you'll need to go and visit them for a week, so you can go to the council offices with them?

Actually, there's another thought .. can you go and visit overnight with some family and friends? That could give you a break from the current situation. It's really not good for your or the baby to be locked in the house all the time.

Alternatively, could you transfer to some other county where there's not so much pressure on council housing? Do you have connections anywhere else in the country?

I have my parents going to the council to help and they went to a local TD last night and said no county council can refuse anybody onto the transfer list.

I only have uncles and aunts in Meath and i applied but they refused me, they told me id have a better chance getting onto Kildares transfer list as thats where i was born and family live there.

My partner was thinking why dont we just give the keys back to our house and move up to my parents home but i dont think we should we've being living on our own for nearly 2 years and it would be hard on us as we have our own independance now.

Im going up to my parents in July to stay for a few days to get some well needed rest.

Advertisement