Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good bars/restaurants close to gresham metropole hotel?

Options
  • 25-06-2014 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am staying in the metropole this friday and sat night and not too familiar with the city. Can you recommend any good bars and restaurants close to the hotel as possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

For pints, Dan Lowry's, a few doors down from the Metropole.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

There are many bars on McCurtain Street, which is where the Metropole is located. There are many, many more if you cross the river.

For an alternative drinking experience I'd recommend the 'Abbott Ale House' on Devonshire Street (about 3 mins walk from the Metropole).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

zweton wrote: »
    Hi,

I am staying in the metropole this friday and sat night and not too familiar with the city. Can you recommend any good bars and restaurants close to the hotel as possible?

Isaacs and Greene's right across the street - both very good - Star Anise is just a few minutes walk away and does an excellent early bird. Loads of other options on the street too - Sakura for sushi or noodles and excellent fish and chips in the Fish Wife and quirky tea shops etc.

Bars: Dan Lowry's is virtually next door and The Cornerhouse (has a folk club if you're into that) or Sin E - just a few minutes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

great stuff, and last question :-) Do any of the above have live music or where would be good for pub gigs close to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

great stuff, and last question :-) Do any of the above have live music or where would be good for pub gigs close to there.

Aforementioned Corner House and Sin E usually have live music. Corner House would be more traditional whereas Sin E usally have more contemporary stuff.
    There's Bru Bar/Hostel as well just up the road a bit, has music in there some nights.

http://www.corkheritagepubs.com/pubs/sin-e/

http://www.bruhostel.com/index.cfm/page/br_sbar

• Advertisement

thanks, now somewhere to find a nice guinness :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Ehem... you'll take your Murphys and enjoy it :P

People have already recommended the spots I'd recommend close to the Metropole but why limit yourself (no offense to those places) to just that area? Cork is very easy to get around.

Sin E do live music, pretty much every night I think. I have a vague memory of Dan Lowrey's having a bit of trad music too but TBH I don't get up that side of town as often as I should so I can't be sure.

haha true i forgot about that, i will have one or two :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Dan Lowrey's doesn't do live music. Grand old style pub though, I'm often in there. Traditional hearty pub grub that'll stick to your ribs too. Might not be worth it in this weather with the heat.

Abbot's Ale House is a great pub too. Great selection of craft beer.

Tara's Tea Rooms is good for lunch as well.

Dan Lowreys food good?

• Advertisement

Dan Lowreys food good?

I wouldn't say good as such. It's certainly not fine dining. But it's very hearty and a good feed. It goes down very well in a cold winter but in summer it can be a bit heavy. If you were planning on drinking from lunch time until closing its perfect to keep you going. I've eaten there quite often but if I wanted a fancy meal or good burger I'd go elsewhere and for fish I'd go to the Fish Wife and eat it in the Cork Arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The bar food in the Metropole is decent too. And reasonably priced.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I wouldn't say good as such. It's certainly not fine dining. But it's very hearty and a good feed. It goes down very well in a cold winter but in summer it can be a bit heavy. If you were planning on drinking from lunch time until closing its perfect to keep you going. I've eaten there quite often but if I wanted a fancy meal or good burger I'd go elsewhere and for fish I'd go to the Fish Wife and eat it in the Cork Arms.

Sorry, the fish wife and the cork arms. Are they near each other?

Sorry, the fish wife and the cork arms. Are they near each other?

The Fish Wife is a chipper on the street. In my opinion they do the best fish and chips in Cork, and people also rave about their burgers. There's no real sitting down area there but they have a deal with The Cork Arms where you can sit down and have a pint and the chipper will drop over your food to you. The Cork Arms is literally across the road from them.

Ah ok nice, will give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Loafers do a nice pint of guinness and isnt too far away. Just tell the bar man you want a nice creamy head.

The Fish Wife do amazing food alright. Small little chiiper but the fish, chips and burgers inside there are delish! You'll have to get a takeaway to bring back to the room with you after a feed of pints like!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Lyaiera wrote: »
    The Fish Wife is a chipper on the street. In my opinion they do the best fish and chips in Cork, and people also rave about their burgers. There's no real sitting down area there but they have a deal with The Cork Arms where you can sit down and have a pint and the chipper will drop over your food to you. The Cork Arms is literally across the road from them.

Didn't know that!! Is the Cork Arms nice? We have friends coming down this weekend and this could be class.

Loire wrote: »
    Didn't know that!! Is the Cork Arms nice? We have friends coming down this weekend and this could be class.

Cork Arms is grand. It's a small pub, pool table out the back. I'd say they get a lot of regulars and the bar staff are sound. It's a local's place that welcomes tourists if you know what I mean. I'd say they get even more tourists with the Fish Wife deal.

Cork Arms isnt all that great in fairness. Bit of a dive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Cork Arms is sh*te to be honest. It holds itself up to be this "True Cork" pub when in reality half the people in there are unfriendly dopes with some bizarre superiority complex. The staff in there wouldn't even look at you either.

Also why you'd limit yourself to places near the Metropole (the worst hotel in the world) is beyond me, you'd walk anywhere in the city centre from there in 20 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

FTA69 wrote: »
    Cork Arms is sh*te to be honest. It holds itself up to be this "True Cork" pub when in reality half the people in there are unfriendly dopes with some bizarre superiority complex. The staff in there wouldn't even look at you either.

Also why you'd limit yourself to places near the Metropole (the worst hotel in the world) is beyond me, you'd walk anywhere in the city centre from there in 20 minutes.

Can't comment on Cork Arms but would second the part about limiting yourself to the area around the hotel. Cork is quite small and a huge range of pubs and eateries are literally across the river. Walk and discover, you'll enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,030 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cork Arms was only mentioned as an option for getting food in The Fish Wife and eating it there. Clearly, some people here have issues with the place.
    As a place to eat, arguably, the best fish and chips in Cork and have a mainstream pint - it's fine. Nothing more, nothing less.

Cork Arms was only mentioned as an option for getting food in The Fish Wife and eating it there. Clearly, some people here have issues with the place.
    As a place to eat, arguably, the best fish and chips in Cork and have a mainstream pint - it's fine. Nothing more, nothing less.

Pretty much this. The only reason I've had to go in there is to either use their pool table or eat food from The Fish Wife.

It's no different from any other small, local boozer in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g186600-d1176469-Reviews-Isaac_s_Restaurant-Cork_County_Cork.html

Isaac's Restaurant across the road is worth checking out - always does well in ratings etc (top 13% in Cork)

Tara's Tea rooms does well on TA also.

If you fancy a stroll - you could always wander over to the Hi B bar........

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g186600-d1022248-Reviews-Hi_B_Bar-Cork_County_Cork.html

Advertisement