Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

rob316 wrote: »
    The difference is, Spurs sold there top asset in the hope they could build a squad to finish in the Top 4. We retained our best asset who got us into the Top 4. We have CL football to offer any target, while it doesn't give us the key to the best players in the world, we can go on a level from the players Spurs signed.

Spurs were turgid throughout AVBs first season. Bale constantly got them out of jail.

This, by the way, continued after Bale was sold and up until AVB was sacked.

I think their players were vastly overrated on here

The difference is, Spurs sold there top asset in the hope they could build a squad to finish in the Top 4. We retained our best asset who got us into the Top 4. We have CL football to offer any target, while it doesn't give us the key to the best players in the world, we can go on a level from the players Spurs signed.

The players Spurs signed were quality on paper. A few of them were certainly wanted by plenty of pool fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Fieldog wrote: »
    I don't think Barca would have him after this bite incident?

Real Madrid? Maybe, but I don't think Barca can afford him either....

They can afford him with Sanchez thrown in. And he can take Puyol and Sanchez's wages!

What a front 3 that would be be....

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The players Spurs signed were quality on paper. A few of them were certainly wanted by plenty of pool fans

handUp.jpg

Lamela :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Get the feeling that Liverpool might actually be relieved if Barcelona or Real come in with a bid that triggers a move. If a lucrative offer arrives in the next few weeks, I am convinced Suarez will be playing his football somewhere else next season

Keep Victor Moses.

Would be Rodgers best bit of business this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Not a Liverpool fan but this is spot on. If we learned one thing from Spurs it's that you won't get away with selling your star players, full stop.

It's a fair concern but I think spurs problems were also down to being like a greedy kid in a sweetshop with the money they got. You could equally look at the example of Juve selling Zidane and replacing him rather effectively withe Nedved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Agueroooo wrote: »
    WTF... Did you just copy and paste and make Carraghers words your own?

not quite. I actually don't agree with him. I think they'll fight to hold on to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Have some totally original thoughts on why AVB would be a good fit for us...might stick them up in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

handUp.jpg

Lamela :(

There's nothing to suggest a lot of those wouldn't have flourished under Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Have some totally original thoughts on why AVB would be a good fit for us...might stick them up in a while.

Is it dubbed, or is it subtitled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Rubbish article imo. I read the whole thing and the writer failed to acknowledge one simple fact its his 3rd time doing it, he hasn't learned.

Comparing to one off worse incidents and rugby is just burying your head in the sand.

If someone else with no previous bit someone it wouldn't be looked on as strongly, that is what the hysteria is about, the sheer disbelief that the idiot has done it for a 3rd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Suarez without doubt is one of our best players however last season we have showed others can step up Sturidge as an example. It was the Same with Gerrard we could not afford to be without him but last year when he was out we actually played good football and win without him.

Is Suarez goes then we can adapt and get way to win. With the money we get from him we could back great player. Improve the defense then we do not have to score loads of goals per game just to win but for fun.

When Torres, Fowler, Owen were at there best we were saying the same things but we moved on an got other players and we will again

Rubbish article imo. I read the whole thing and the writer failed to acknowledge one simple fact its his 3rd time doing it, he hasn't learned.

Comparing to one off worse incidents and rugby is just burying your head in the sand.

If someone else with no previous bit someone it wouldn't be looked on as strongly, that is what the hysteria is about, the sheer disbelief that the idiot has done it for a 3rd time.

How can it be sheer disbelief when its the third time? Disbelief is the first, and perhaps shock at 2nd. The third is mere momentary surprise, at best.

And he never said it wasn't wrong, or that Suarez shouldn't be banned. He simply stated that 2 years wouldn't fit the crime and gave some perspective through other incidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

There is no way we can afford to cash in on Suarez. We will not be able to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

When Torres, Fowler, Owen were at there best we were saying the same things but we moved on an got other players and we will again

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think any of those 3 were playing at the level Suarez currently is at the times they left the club so replacing them wasn't as big a task as replacing Luis would be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

I'm still a Suarez fan boy.....come on back Luis, have a chat with Bren, drink some of your funny tea stuff, and then wipe the floor with Premier League and Champions League defences, ;)

Everyone else will like you again soon.....;)

x43r0 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think any of those 3 were playing at the level Suarez currently is at the times they left the club so replacing them wasn't as big a task as replacing Luis would be

Replacing Suarez would be akin to attempting to replace Gerrard in 05 if he had left.

You can't replace, so you adapt.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    Replacing Suarez would be akin to attempting to replace Gerrard in 05 if he had left.

31 PL goal

12 PL assists

its going to take something else to adapt if/when we have to replace that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Stopped reading here
    What heinous crime could Luis Suarez have committed to prompt such a response from two players who were not exactly shrinking violets on the field?

He bit someone.

He didn't just bite someone - he bit someone after previously being found guilty of biting 2 other players. This was not something done in the heat of the moment, he knew what he was doing as he's done it twice before. People seem to want to pass this off as an isolated incident but it's not.

Do we need some perspective? When former players like Mills and Shearer are calling for such major punishments then we probably do but lets not down play this as one person biting another person in a moment of spontaneity either.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

31 PL goal

12 PL assists

its going to take something else to adapt if/when we have to replace that.

Sanchez is well capable of stepping up and putting up quite similar numbers MHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Suarez without doubt is one of our best players however last season we have showed others can step up Sturidge as an example. It was the Same with Gerrard we could not afford to be without him but last year when he was out we actually played good football and win without him.

Is Suarez goes then we can adapt and get way to win. With the money we get from him we could back great player. Improve the defense then we do not have to score loads of goals per game just to win but for fun.

x43r0 wrote: »

Not all these examples are exact successions but you get my drift

Keegan - Dalglish
    Dalglish - Rush
    Rush - Aldo
    Rush (cos he came back!) - Fowler
    Owen - Torres
    Torres - Suarez
    Suarez - Sanchez (?) 19 goals and 11 assists last season in la Liga

Liverpool always find another great forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Going by the comment section the article went over most people's heads.

You can't talk down an angry mob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

SteM wrote: »
    This was not something done in the heat of the moment

Of course it was. I've never heard of him biting people outside of football.

It's the red-mist descending. Alan Shearer kicks people in the head. Luis Suarez bites.

It's not pre-meditated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I refuse to acknowledge anything reported on Sanchez. I will not be pr**kteasted about this one, no sir.

Why should previous actions come into it? Luis was punished and served his sentences for those already. When other players get red cards, are previous charges taken into account?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Also, Sanchez would thrive in our style of football more than Barca's tiki taka malarkey, always believed taht. The Udinese player was just devastating on the counter playing either side, just off or even in front of Di Natale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

SteM wrote: »
    Stopped reading here

He didn't just bite someone - he bit someone after previously being found guilty of biting 2 other players. This was not something done in the heat of the moment, he knew what he was doing as he's done it twice before. People seem to want to pass this off as an isolated incident but it's not.

Do we need some perspective? When former players like Mills and Shearer are calling for such major punishments then we probably do but lets not down play this as one person biting another person in a moment of spontaneity either.

people arent reading this article properly it seems. have another go at it

mike65 wrote: »

Keegan - Dalglish
    Dalglish - Rush
    Rush - Aldo
    Owen - Torres
    Torres -Carroll -Suarez

FYP!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Keegan - Dalglish
    Dalglish - Rush
    Rush - Aldo
    Owen - Torres
    Torres - Suarez

Forgetting:

Fowler - Heskey
    Owen - Lord Frodsham

Keegan - Dalglish
    Dalglish - Rush
    Rush - Aldo
    Owen - Torres
    Torres - Suarez

You're leaving out a few wilderness years there, Mike.

I distinctly remember Baros, Cisse and Crouch being the best we had for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Not sure if mentioned already (can't see anything else other than LS talk) but I see that Luis Alberto gone on loan to Malaga for the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Good point.

Buy three players who would make up the goals and assists. We'd miss is his work rate and the influence he has on younger players though. He's had a huge hand in Sterling's development imo. This would have to be factored into who we buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Of course they are, Henry and Co will know better than anyone that the CL is the golden goose and to stay there they need to improve the squad. Rodgers will made it abundantly clear we have only about 15 players of any real quality.

Selling Suarez and bringing in 3 top players in his place would be improving the squad, while we wont be able to get a single talent better than him it would still be progress.

Rogers will want quality over quantity in the event Suarez is sold, the board will be all too aware of the trap Spurs fell into last season and going out buying a new team. At the end of the day the only decent player they bought was Eriksen out of £90m.

So far its been Lambert and Can that have been added, squad players and arguably additions to areas where the depth is lacking in the club.

We have heard though that Moreno deal is dead, and he is a good young LB that Liverpool are seeking desperately.

Added to that the much heralded Lallana deal has dragged on and died IMO. Claims that Lovren were to join and bolster a rather shaky defence seems to have stalled

Shaqiri is a dead duck of a deal as well and the only one that seems alive is Sanchez and that is as a replacement for Suarez.

If Suarez goes then Liverpool need to replace him obviously but also bolster the squad in other areas to compensate for losing him.

WRT Spurs purchases, I maintain that those players will show some worth this season also provided they bring in a decent striker

brevity wrote: »
    Good point.

Buy three players who would make up the goals and assists. We'd miss is his work rate and the influence he has on younger players though. He's had a huge hand in Sterling's development imo. This would have to be factored into who we buy.

Well, straight off the bat I can think of two main things. First, is that Rodgers plays more 4-3-3, and Sturridge becomes the main fella up top.

2nd, as we no longer have the two strikers which helped stopped teams pressing up on us, we would need a new midfield setup. Gerrard would possibly get more exposed in that environment, and we wouldn't quite have the capacity to be so devastating in attack to get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

slingerz wrote: »
    So far its been Lambert and Can that have been added, squad players and arguably additions to areas where the depth is lacking in the club.

We have heard though that Moreno deal is dead, and he is a good young LB that Liverpool are seeking desperately.

Added to that the much heralded Lallana deal has dragged on and died IMO. Claims that Lovren were to join and bolster a rather shaky defence seems to have stalled

Shaqiri is a dead duck of a deal as well and the only one that seems alive is Sanchez and that is as a replacement for Suarez.

If Suarez goes then Liverpool need to replace him obviously but also bolster the squad in other areas to compensate for losing him.

WRT Spurs purchases, I maintain that those players will show some worth this season also provided they bring in a decent striker

Who said Shaqiri was a dead duck, according to Di Marzio last night it is very much on.

Fizman wrote: »
    Not sure if mentioned already (can't see anything else other than LS talk) but I see that Luis Alberto gone on loan to Malaga for the season.

Hopefully be good for him. Needs to become phyiscally stronger to survive in the premiership

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Press conference at 2.30 i'm hearing,,

• Advertisement

You're leaving out a few wilderness years there, Mike.

I distinctly remember Baros, Cisse and Crouch being the best we had for a while.

Well its true there was a strange little period of Houllier era inspired forwards when Liverpool won the Champions League and FA Cup its true.

Hmmmm top forwards are over-rated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Vanolder wrote: »
    Press conference at 2.30 i'm hearing,,

I hope it's a new signing - and not about Suarez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Fieldog wrote: »
    I hope it's a new signing - and not about Suarez

Sory, a FIFA presser at 2.30...

I'm going to suggest its got something to do with the Stadium boring stuff like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I hope the punishment is making him stay at LFC for two more seasons .

Who said Shaqiri was a dead duck, according to Di Marzio last night it is very much on.

Di Marzio is supposed to be a spoofer. it is conincidental that the Shaqiri move was back on after last nights hat trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

At the time of the biting incident I had a quiet smile to myself that this might stave off interest from Real & Barca. But now that I think about it if he ends up with a two year international ban but is free to play the domestic game then buying him makes even more sense as he no longer has to take almost a week off every couple of months to fly down to Uruguay and back for internationals. A world class player without the distractions of his international team is a more attractive prospect to any club team challenging on both domestic and European fronts.

BrDx1_ACQAAY0nI.jpg

hope he comes back a better player - good loan for all involved.

BrDx1_ACQAAY0nI.jpg

hope he comes back a better player - good loan for all involved.

No guarantee he comes back IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Of course it was. I've never heard of him biting people outside of football.

It's the red-mist descending. Alan Shearer kicks people in the head. Luis Suarez bites.

It's not pre-meditated

Why would he bite people outside of football?

I never said it was pre-meditated. It's simply something that he thinks is okay to happen on the pitch - he said it himself the other day that it was a coming together that happens. It's one of his ways of winning at any cost. There's no red mist involved imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement