Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

K-9 wrote: »
    In fairness who wouldn't?

Nobody, except maybe Garra, that's my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I am Grayditch
    I am rarnes1.

52293039.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    52293039.jpg

redblue_pill.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    52293039.jpg

There is no Rarnes

Ev5Ux.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭garra

I think you're in the minority there. Any Liverpool fans I know are still waiting on the marquee signing to try and fill the Suarez shaped hole in the team. A player with as big a name as Özil had when he signed for Arsenal would have the majority of Liverpool fans drowning in their own jizz.

You are entirely correct I am in the minority. As much as I'd love to "drown in my own jizz" over the prospect of an established player coming our way, I prefer the selection of players who are not yet established but have the footballing potential to move up a level. Rodgers is doing a good job of smoothing the rough edges off young talent and is showing pragmatism about when to play those type of players, so I don't see any reason to change tack and "spunk our load" on jaded stars.

• Advertisement

garra wrote: »
    You are entirely correct I am in the minority. As much as I'd love to "drown in my own jizz" over the prospect of an established player coming our way, I prefer the selection of players who are not yet established but have the footballing potential to move up a level. Rodgers is doing a good job of smoothing the rough edges off young talent and is showing pragmatism about when to play those type of players, so I don't see any reason to change tack and "spunk our load" on jaded stars.

Why do big names have to be "jaded stars"?
    Spending 30-40m on established players carries less risk than spending 20-25m on potential stars if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Yeeesh! Enough with the spunk and jizz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

brevity wrote: »
    Yeeesh! Enough with the spunk and jizz.

That's what sh.....never mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I suppose my worry is we'll end up back at square one again, setting us back 3 or 4 years and have to wait that long for players to start delivering on their potential. The Sturridge and Coutinhos are little gems of transfers who start delivering straight away, but the norm is a Henderson or an Allen, players that need a couple of seasons to start showing it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dwayned

from the BBC sportsday feed;

11:54
    Spanish newspaper Mundo Deportivo claims that Barcelona have negotiated a fee of of between 70 and 73m euros (£55.6m-58m) for the transfer of Uruguay striker Luis Suarez from Liverpool.
    The fee represents a reduction of 20m euros on the 27-year-old's buyout clause according to the paper.

For some reason Chrome is complaining and cannot translate but here is the link
    http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20140709/fc-barcelona/el-barca-rebaja-la-clausula-de-luis-suarez-en-20-millones_54411725296.html#.U7z6JruUZMw.twitter

Jesus, I am of the thinking that he has to go at this stage but I'd be sick at letting him go for less than £60m. Farce if they allow that to happen. Ultimately, we still have no reason to sell.

Why do big names have to be "jaded stars"?
    Spending 30-40m on established players carries less risk than spending 20-25m on potential stars if you ask me.

I would agree that 20-25 is too much to be paying for potential. When we paid 23m for Suarez he had already shown his qualities, even though I dont recall people being majorly excited about his acquisition at the time, indeed I cannot recall more than a drizzle of jizz being spent on his transfer.

I guess my point is that I want us to buy players with hunger, desire and potential and I would be skeptical of established stars coming from huge clubs having a major impact for us in the Premier League. Soldado/Ozil/Lamela are all good examples of jizz-generating flops.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dwayned

yeah from the very rough translation through google it was saying that they got him cheaper as they are not another PL team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

dwayned wrote: »
    from the BBC sportsday feed;

11:54
    Spanish newspaper Mundo Deportivo claims that Barcelona have negotiated a fee of of between 70 and 73m euros (£55.6m-58m) for the transfer of Uruguay striker Luis Suarez from Liverpool.
    The fee represents a reduction of 20m euros on the 27-year-old's buyout clause according to the paper.

For some reason Chrome is complaining and cannot translate but here is the link
    http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20140709/fc-barcelona/el-barca-rebaja-la-clausula-de-luis-suarez-en-20-millones_54411725296.html#.U7z6JruUZMw.twitter

Yeah but they would say that. It's a Barce paper. I'd be surprised if we actually found out the real figure anytime soon or the payment terms.

Mundo Deportivo (Sports World) is a Spanish nationwide daily sports newspaper. It was founded on February 1, 1906,[1] as a weekly newspaper, and since 1929 daily. It is the oldest sports newspaper still published in Spain, and the second one in Europe, after the Italian La Gazzetta dello Sport which was founded in 1896.[2]
    It is published in Barcelona and is owned by Grupo Godó. The paper focuses primarily on the performances of FC Barcelona, but also covers the Spanish basketball league (ACB), Grand Prix motorcycle racing and Formula One car racing, amongst others.
    Both Mundo Deportivo and Sport are the predominant sources of sports news in Catalonia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

So Suarez is going for the same money as Luis!

B***x!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I would agree that 20-25 is too much to be paying for potential. When we paid 23m for Suarez he had already shown his qualities, even though I dont recall people being majorly excited about his acquisition at the time, indeed I cannot recall more than a drizzle of jizz being spent on his transfer.

I was disappointed with it. Was a bittersweet day.

So Suarez is going for the same money as Luis!

B***x!

Hopefully PSG enter the fray. :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

You have to remember that the Catalan papers are basically Barcelona fanzines much the same was Marca is a Real Madrid fanzine. They will always spin the party line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I can kind of understand what garra is saying. While I'd obv love a guy like Ozil at the club I would prefer to sign the oxil real signed as opposed to the one arsenal did. That's not even a point of current ability v previous ability but more age + cost/value.

Griezman would be the kind of signing that we should be looking at. Guy is on the cusp of becoming a top level player.

• Advertisement

I guess my point is that I want us to buy players with hunger, desire and potential and I would be skeptical of established stars coming from huge clubs having a major impact for us in the Premier League. Soldado/Ozil/Lamela are all good examples of jizz-generating flops.

Özil is not a flop. Anyway, it's not very sensible to turn your nose up at high quality, star names just because another player flopped at a different club.

The English papers are saying £75m The Mirror today.

The Sapinish papers are saying €75m as above post.

The spin machines are on bigtime over this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Özil is not a flop.

While obviously a very talented player, for the money spent he had, at best, a very average season.

Özil is not a flop. Anyway, it's not very sensible to turn your nose up at high quality, star names just because another player flopped at a different club.

Good point, and the corollary is that it's not sensible to buy the most expensive players because they have a high profile with a big club, instead of buying players "on the cusp" (thank you Pyjamarama) of reaching a high level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I can kind of understand what garra is saying. While I'd obv love a guy like Ozil at the club I would prefer to sign the oxil real signed as opposed to the one arsenal did. That's not even a point of current ability v previous ability but more age + cost/value.

Nail on the head. I don't think his ability has declined because he was still performing at Madrid. I just think he didn't want to leave, and the realisation that he has stepped down a level has resulted in him not being too bothered. That's not to O'Zil I would want in the team.

Can actually see him being next season's Suarez-

esque transfer saga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Apparently Origi is at melwood now and Markovic will cost 19 million pound.

Twitter though.

hefferboi wrote: »
    Apparently Origi is at melwood now and Markovic will cost 19 million pound.

Twitter though.

Show me some leaning or it's leaningless

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The English papers are saying £75m The Mirror today.

the express are reporting the much lower number and deal to be wrapped up today.

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    While obviously a very talented player, for the money spent he had, at best, a very average season.

Started off well enough and hasn't produced what he can for a fair long spell after that, I think he'll turn it around though and the arrival of Sanchez will help with that.
    David Silva didn't hit the ground running in his first season, Mata did OK but improved immensely the following season. I think creative players find it that bit harder to adjust to the English game. I'll hold off on calling him a flop until he has another season under his belt.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    the express are reporting the much lower number and deal to be wrapped up today.

They are just reporting whats being said in Spain.
    Reports in Spain suggest that the agreement is for a straight cash deal and will not involve any players heading to Anfield in part-exchange.

Suarez reportedly had a buy-out fee for foreign clubs of £70m but Barcelona have been able to negotiate a significant discount on that price.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/487691/Barcelona-set-to-announce-58m-Luis-Suarez-deal-after-negotiating-12m-DISCOUNT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

FML

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Sanchez agent is in London wrapping up his deal with Arsenal apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Sanchez agent is in London wrapping up his deal with Arsenal apparently.

'Sky Sources'

But I'm sure its probably true.

Just a bit annoying to know that Barca have basically funded their move for Suarez by selling Fabregas to Chelsea and Sanchez to Arsenal.

Hard to spin a positive out of that from a Liverpool perspective. Unless we spend well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Lads Suarez is not going for any less than what is his release fee! There is no way he is being getting let go for less!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I get this, you don't want to spend money on aging superstars (28+) who are possibly in decline but want to spend it on younger players who have still to develop. To give an example, RVP to Utd. at 29, with a five-year contract and a transfer fee together totalling over £60m is bad business.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89rik_Lamela

Erik Lamela was 21 joining Spurs.
    Mesut Ozil was 24 joining Arsenal
    Alexis Sanchez is 25 joining Arsenal.

These should be players you want. All players yet to reach their peak. Of course Lamela is not in the same class as the other two but using your own criteria, they are all player you should want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Lads Suarez is not going for any less than what is his release fee! There is no way he is being getting let go for less!

That may be true, but as none of us actually know what his release fee is (or even, in fact, if there definitely is one), it's hard to know if that's good or not.

All these figures are being thrown around, in both € and £, but no-one knows what the truth is. And it'll probably be an 'un-disclosed fee' in the end, which means in two years time there'll still be some people saying he went for €75m and some saying he went for £75m. It's like Lallana still being quoted at £25m, despite a lot of articles saying 'up to £25m'.

Sometimes you wish the clubs would just officially announce the bloody figures...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

jasonb wrote: »
    That may be true, but as none of us actually know what his release fee is (or even, in fact, if there definitely is one), it's hard to know if that's good or not.

All these figures are being thrown around, in both € and £, but no-one knows what the truth is. And it'll probably be an 'un-disclosed fee' in the end, which means in two years time there'll still be some people saying he went for €75m and some saying he went for £75m. It's like Lallana still being quoted at £25m, despite a lot of articles saying 'up to £25m'.

Sometimes you wish the clubs would just officially announce the bloody figures...

J.

You'll get a rough idea when the accounts are published

Pinch of salt until it comes from the 3 or 4 reputable journalists, and even then they often differ on info e.g. Barrett and Pearce blogs the other day.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

I could see Liverpool taking £63m cash lump sum over £75/80m spread over 5 years.

But it will be all spin from both teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Is it not in out interests for people to think we got less and thus overcharge slightly less

In the end it will be undisclosed and both will claim they got more/less, no point in stressing on it :)

Started off well enough and hasn't produced what he can for a fair long spell after that, I think he'll turn it around though and the arrival of Sanchez will help with that.
    David Silva didn't hit the ground running in his first season, Mata did OK but improved immensely the following season. I think creative players find it that bit harder to adjust to the English game. I'll hold off on calling him a flop until he has another season under his belt.

It shows even spending £35/40 Million isn't guaranteed of hitting the ground running.
    Godge wrote: »
    I get this, you don't want to spend money on aging superstars (28+) who are possibly in decline but want to spend it on younger players who have still to develop. To give an example, RVP to Utd. at 29, with a five-year contract and a transfer fee together totalling over £60m is bad business.

These should be players you want. All players yet to reach their peak. Of course Lamela is not in the same class as the other two but using your own criteria, they are all player you should want.

Ozil was out of our budget, we did go for players probably a level below that in Willian and Mk (guy who went to Dortmund), just got financially out muscled. Sanchez again similar story, Arsenal seem to have ditched their wage structure for players like him and Ozil and its hard for us to compete for the oft mentioned reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

It shows even spending £35/40 Million isn't guaranteed of hitting the ground running.

Ozil was out of our budget, we did go for players probably a level below that in Willian and Mk (guy who went to Dortmund), just got financially out muscled. Sanchez again similar story, Arsenal seem to have ditched their wage structure for players like him and Ozil and its hard for us to compete for the oft mentioned reasons.
    Would Suarez and Gerard not be on more or the same as ozil?

Think ozil is 140k a week.

We weren't financially outmuscled for Sanchez. By all accounts we offered a very good deal. He just preferred to live in London.

Godge wrote: »

All 3 of them were / will be over-priced due to their high profiles with big clubs, Lamela being the only one I would have been interested in for Liverpool. It must be a nightmare scouting players, particularly when trying to judge their adaptability and desire to play in a new country etc.. More so with the Latin-based players who might be steam-rollered by their clubs into a move they dont particularly want (eg the likes of Ozil or Andy Carroll lol).
    Like everyone else here, ultimately I dont have a problem with spending big (on an under 26 yo) who has a great attitude and fits in with the team, the club & the country, I just hope we dont buy any expensive duds who are signing on for the wrong reasons.
    I have a premonition about Sanchez being a flop for Arsenal, just a hunch and you can slaughter me for mentioning it, but I can feel it in my waters. So there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

I have a premonition about Sanchez being a flop for Arsenal, just a hunch and you can slaughter me for mentioning it, but I can feel it in my waters. So there.[/QUOTE

Would love if you were right but Sanchez is a huge addition for arsenal. He wont flop as hes a brillant player who gels very well with their style of play. Hes a huge improvment in an area they were weak in last season. Top player for a very good price.

In losing suarez we lose our best player which indirectly allow Arsenal to stregthen their team with a player who i feel with be a stand out player for them next season. At the moment it not working out well for liverpool no matter how anyone spins it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Would Suarez and Gerard not be on more or the same as ozil?

Think ozil is 140k a week.

Suarez and Gerrard are reportedly on 200k a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Suarez and Gerrard are reportedly on 200k a week.

Suarez was on £120k a week (originally 80k) according to most reliable Liverpool journalists. He was due a pay rise to £200k for the 14/15 season since his most recent contract.

I've never heard any reports of Gerrard on more than £120-130k. There were rumours at one point that he had a clause to match his wages with the highest earner in the squad but with Suarez going that'll still be Gerrard himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

I think all we need is a big name signing to calm our nerves...same happens to us every transfer window. If we secure CL again next season, I think we'll be back to attracting big names to the club.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement