Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Jesus. Sanchez signs for Arsenal and already there is little digs thrown between a few.

Shtop lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

What? Liverpool didn't collapse at the end of the season....?
    Not having a pop at you, but they collapsed in fairly spectacular fashion.

how bout you look at the pool results from Jan to May and get back to us on this "Collapse". :rolleyes:

I mean this is basic stuff to understand - Arsenal collapsed, Liverpool came out of nowhere to get to the top and ran out of steam spectacularly in Palace game

Any spectacular signings on the horizon for us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

djPSB wrote: »
    That's all well and good but Arsenal have only won one trophy in the past 9 years.

And they made a serious attempt at making a balls of that one too.

It's the CL that really maters, not as if Sanchez would care about the FA Cup. Even the cup only matters to Arsenal fans because it was a running joke by rival fans. Bit like Ozil really! That's a joke btw.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

The Palace game was spectacular.

Look you have a narrative in your head because of who you support. In reality Liverpool lost one game in 18 in 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Any spectacular signings on the horizon for us?

Doesn't seem to be. Lots of young players with a lot of potential but would be nice to bring in one proven quality player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Liverpool didn't collapse but any football fan with an ounce of knowledge like noodler will understand why he choose Arsenal.

There is a reason Arsenal will be top seeds for the CL draw

Does London have a Nando's? I'd go there.

RasTa wrote: »
    Liverpool didn't collapse but any football fan with an ounce of knowledge like noodler will understand why he choose Arsenal.

To he fair they are a better bet than Liverpool on the face of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Grayditch wrote: »
    Does London have a Nando's? I'd go there.

They do, but it's not very good

torres3_2413107b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I'm Dortmund head scout.

Top top gif use :D

Fescue wrote: »
    Look you have a narrative in your head because of who you support. In reality Liverpool lost one game in 18 in 2014.

If we finish outside the top 6 this season I'd call that a spectacular collapse.

7th to 2nd sits well with me

They do, but it's not very good

Niiiiiice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

RasTa wrote: »

I can see why Arsenal is a more attractive option than Liverpool at the moment;

Consistent involvement in the Champions League Football
    Attractive brand of Football
    Attractive City

But I don't believe it's a given that every player will choose Arsenal over Liverpool..

BTW I think Sanchez is a cracking player and with Walcott and Sanchez in the team I think we will see the best of Ozil, which threading balls in behind defences and creating chances..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Id would be seriously concerned and actually baffled If we sign Bony or davies from Swansea. I could live with davies as cover but its would be a very underwhelming transfer for what has been a problem position for years now. Can only hope Enrique can come back and regain some of the better form his had before injury.
    Bony on the other hand would actually be a farcical replacement for suarez, I really hope BR doesn’t think borini, lambert, bony are strikers that will cut in the CL and will shoot us into top 4 again this season. Bony not a bad striker but as a back up to losing out on sanchez, it would literally be ridiculous.

Having consoled ourselves for last few seasons that will finally get the like of costa, willian, salah once we get CL football we could instead end up siging 5 players from Southampton and Swansea and losing our best player. I cant help be worried about the gathering of pace with stories linking us to Bony.

Sanchez by all accounts is not a particularly deep thinker. I doubt he went through both Arsenal and Liverpool's squads with a fine tooth comb and mulled over the strengths and weaknesses of the respective managers over a glass of sherry. He was offered two two teams in the Champions League (well one so far technically) and chose to live in capital over the grim north.

Liverpool have lost players to bloody Spurs over the same reason. Let alone Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The truth is probably a lot simpler. Arsenal offered to make Sanchez their top earner. I'd say that we wanted to pay him a lot less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

They still have tiny little balls. Which means they collapse whenever they're tested.

Well, I think that is moving the goalposts.

We have managed to qualify for the CL once in the last 6 years - which was our major aim.

Arsenal have managed this every year with relative ease - perhaps they collapse but by the time they do they have already gone miles past our own targets.
    If you exclude all Suarez's PL goals last season we still scored more than everyone bar City and Chelsea (and Chelsea would only have one more).

Yeah but we needed them goals with the defence as porous as it was. Suarez was also the top assister in the league and removing that seriously harms the number of Sturridge goals and Gerrard penalties.
    That's all well and good but Arsenal have only won one trophy in the past 9 years.

And they made a serious attempt at making a balls of that one too.

The almost guarantee of CL football every year > winning the Carling Cup.

For me anyway but I'd wager for Alexis Sanchez as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

the manager plays a key ingredient in attracting players. i said it before (and got heat for it) but if rodgers was in charge of liverpool back in the day no chance would torres, masch, alonso etc have signed for the club at the time.

last few years the excuses were that liverpool lost out on numerous players due to no champions league involvement and now its something else...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If we finish outside the top 6 this season I'd call that a spectacular collapse.

7th to 2nd sits well with me

From champions to 7th is a spectacular collapse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

We should relocate the club to London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

rossie1977 wrote: »
    the manager plays a key ingredient in attracting players. i said it before (and got heat for it) but if rodgers was in charge of liverpool back in the day no chance would torres, masch, alonso etc have signed for the club at the time.

last few years the excuses were that liverpool lost out on numerous players due to no champions league involvement and now its something else...

The same Javier Mascherano who signed for Alan Curbishley?

Rodgers has just won manager of the year, finished second in the league and his reputation is sky high. Definitely not at the level of Wenger's, but I don't think any players will be put off coming to Liverpool because of him.

The same Javier Mascherano who signed for Alan Curbishley?

Offer a player enough money and they would sign for Dunphy's Ragball Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

noodler wrote: »
    Well, I think that is moving the goalposts.

We have managed to qualify for the CL once in the last 6 years - which was our major aim.

Arsenal have managed this every year with relative ease - perhaps they collapse but by the time they do they have already gone miles past our own targets.

Yeah but we needed them goals with the defence as porous as it was. Suarez was also the top assister in the league and removing that seriously harms the number of Sturridge goals and Gerrard penalties.

The almost guarantee of CL football every year > winning the Carling Cup.

For me anyway but I'd wager for Alexis Sanchez as well.

The guarantee of CL every year is worth diddly squat if it doesn't result in consistent silverware.

For example, as a Liverpool fan, I wouldn't be pleased if Liverpool were to qualify for the CL for the next 9 years yet only manage to win an FA Cup in that period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Sanchez by all accounts is not a particularly deep thinker. I doubt he went through both Arsenal and Liverpool's squads with a fine tooth comb and mulled over the strengths and weaknesses of the respective managers over a glass of sherry. He was offered two two teams in the Champions League (well one so far technically) and chose to live in capital over the grim north.

Liverpool have lost players to bloody Spurs over the same reason. Let alone Arsenal.
    The truth is probably a lot simpler. Arsenal offered to make Sanchez their top earner. I'd say that we wanted to pay him a lot less.

Haha lads you're like a fella who's been turned down by a bird in Coppers and you're reverting to the "I never liked her anyway"/"She's only with him for his money" schtick.

Complex or what. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

cson wrote: »
    Haha lads you're like a fella who's been turned down by a bird in Coppers and you're reverting to the "I never liked her anyway"/"She's only with him for his money" schtick.

Complexities like that would never happen in Coppers.

The guarantee of CL every year is worth diddly squat if it doesn't result in consistent silverware.

For example, as a Liverpool fan, I wouldn't be pleased if Liverpool were to qualify for the CL for the next 9 years yet only manage to win an FA Cup in that period.

But if we add a Carling Cup to that, then its ok right?

Cos that's what you've won in 9 years.

But if we add a Carling Cup to that, then its ok right?

Cos that's what you've won in 9 years.

Don't forget the Champions League!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you're counting the CL that means Arsenal have won 2 FA Cups in the 9 year period :P

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If you're counting the CL that means Arsenal have won 2 FA Cups in the 9 year period :P

:D

• Advertisement

Would you trade 2 FA Cups for one Champions League?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Even if you had to relocate and pay for a new stadium in that period ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

and an FA cup

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would you trade 2 FA Cups for one Champions League?

Of course, but sure let's add another year onto the period while we're at it and include a league title (unbeaten), it would make this argument no less silly imo.

Both of our clubs have been below where we want them to be for almost decade, though ye came damn close to rectifying that last season in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Jesus ****ing christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

IK09 wrote: »

Cannot see Bayern letting Martinez go with Kroos apparently off to Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

Gonna b a long few weeks in this thread

Of course, but sure let's add another year onto the period while we're at it and include a league title (unbeaten), it would make this argument no less silly imo.

Both of our clubs have been below where we want them to be for almost decade, though ye came damn close to rectifying that last season in fairness.

Of course. I'd give anything to see Liverpool win the League. I dare say you would give anything to see Arsenal win the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Cannot see Bayern letting Martinez go with Kroos apparently off to Madrid.

Are Bayern after him? Martinez is a Stiker, Kroos is a centre mid. I dont understand.

• Advertisement

IK09 wrote: »
    Are Bayern after him? Martinez is a Stiker, Kroos is a centre mid. I dont understand.

Oops wrong Martinez. Thought it was Javi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

+£1

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

One day you'll post something remotely positive. I bolieve in you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

We are not signing huge names but its is a very important to have PL experience. Bony for me would be a good buy & if he stays fit gurantees 10-20 goals in the PL. Bony & Lambert are not huge names but they scored 30 PL goals last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    One day you'll post something remotely positive. I bolieve in you.

I don't usually complain about posts but bo Dallas is a jobber! Get him back to nxt with all the little flippy guys who'll never draw a dime!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Funny, back in the day the manager at the time was derided as a fat spanish waiter.

Now he's the world class manager who was the reason we attracted top names like Torres.

Moving the goalposts indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I don't usually complain about posts but bo Dallas is a jobber! Get him back to nxt with all the little flippy guys who'll never draw a dime!!

he's unbeaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Funny, back in the day the manager at the time was derided as a fat spanish waiter.

Now he's the world class manager who was the reason we attracted top names like Torres.

Moving the goalposts indeed.

When did Benitez become world class?

More or less sacked by Liverpool.

Sacked by Inter.

Only got an interim contract at Chelsea.

To date performing averagely in a crappy league.

Not world class by any stretch IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I'd hate to think where Liverpool would be now with Rafa still in charge.
    It scares me *shudders

• Advertisement

When did Benitez become world class?

More or less sacked by Liverpool.

Sacked by Inter.

Only got an interim contract at Chelsea.

To date performing averagely in a crappy league.

Not world class by any stretch IMO.

Doesn't sound dissimilar to Louis van Gaal to be honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement