Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Ah lads, it's the Dirk thing all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

This thread today

gifs_19.gif

but I still love it, I LOVE IT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2014/serge-auriers-agent-to-meet-with-big-premier-league-club-tomorrow/

Spurious, but:
    According to our colleagues at Eurosport, Serge Aurier’s agent has a meeting with a big Premier League side tomorrow that isn’t Arsenal.

Get French Football News believes it to be Liverpool, who had shown their interest in the player before the World Cup.

Chelsea are also long term admirers of the youngster. Monaco and PSG have both meanwhile tabled propositions for the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

This thread is a train wreck today, I blame the turd personally, all his bitter ramblings about Arsenal have come back to haunt the rest of us, cheers for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Doesn't sound dissimilar to Louis van Gaal to be honest.

Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

This thread is a train wreck today, I blame the turd personally, all his bitter ramblings about Arsenal have come back to haunt the rest of us, cheers for that.

did-they-just-score.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I want to apologise for suggesting earlier Arsenal had tiny balls. I have no doubt the balls at Arsenal are of standard circumference and mass.

Apologies Arsenal brethren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

When did Benitez become world class?

More or less sacked by Liverpool.

Sacked by Inter.

Only got an interim contract at Chelsea.

To date performing averagely in a crappy league.

Not world class by any stretch IMO.

I'm not saying he is world class, I was just making a point. Someone claimed Rodgers can't attract the players that Benitez did, suggesting Benitez was in an elite group that Rodgers isn't in.

When that same person probably would have been looking for every which way and how back at the day to have a dig at Benitez. It just seems a bit hypocritical to me.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Nothing new to anyone with a brain, but I'd like to think with Evans, Barrett and Pearce saying it's £75M, people who were doubting it will stop questioning the fee at this stage, but really.. who am I kidding.
    Pearce: #Suarez is gone. Barcelona will pay his release clause which is around £75million. Confirmation soon #LFC

Oh and..
    Pearce: Definite possibility of #Aspas going to Seville as a lightweight for #Moreno deal. #LFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I like this business cat guy. He's really got a lot of original and witty content to add to the thread. Is he new? (Was gonna say is he meeew? But that's too far).

Would love Aurier. He's a full back with good potential but already playing at a high level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Lol.

It's true.

Their list of honours is quite similiar. Both have been sacked a couple of times. Both spiky with the media. Both rotund men.

Sevilla want Aspas

Liverpool want Moreno

BsL1jeRIQAAM61J.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Fescue wrote: »
    I want to apologise for suggesting earlier Arsenal had tiny balls. I have no doubt the balls at Arsenal are of standard circumference and mass.

Apologies Arsenal brethren.

No need to apologise! An odd dig is cool, others will try and get an Arsenal dig in no matter what post they read they somehow want to connect it to Arsenal, consumed by their hatred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

If Aspas goes, I'm supporting Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

MD1990 wrote: »
    We are not signing huge names but its is a very important to have PL experience. Bony for me would be a good buy & if he stays fit gurantees 10-20 goals in the PL. Bony & Lambert are not huge names but they scored 30 PL goals last season.

I don't know, is pl league experience that important? If a player is good enough he'll adapt, if he isn't it doesn't really matter where he comes from.

When did Benitez become world class?

More or less sacked by Liverpool.

Sacked by Inter.

Only got an interim contract at Chelsea.

To date performing averagely in a crappy league.

Not world class by any stretch IMO.

United fan bashing Rafa shocker.

Just :pac: at using his sacking at Liverpool against him given all the turmoil at boardroom level, Inter's general insanity with Moratti in charge and being against him in wanting to bring the general age of the squad down, and his time in Chelsea which he secured top 4 and won the Europa League.

As for Napoli, they finished third with a high turnover of players coming through. You do realise the team that won Seria A set a new points record too?

Slattsy wrote: »
    I'd hate to think where Liverpool would be now with Rafa still in charge.
    It scares me *shudders

Yeah, what a terrible manager he was.

Got sick of champions league business end matches myself

James Pearce says Rodgers is after another striker. He wants 4. But he is unaware of any link to Bony.

Also doesn't think there will be a "marquee" big signing but rather 3 or 4 players in the 20M range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

When are we going to talk about net spend :pac:

0028673 wrote: »

yeltsindance.gif

Just what the thread needs right now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Will it be € or £ net spend though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Don't forget the wage bill!

I miss G & H :(

Suarez ban has been upheld / unchanged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Sorry Nuri
    Billy Liddell ‏@Liddellpool Protected Tweets 1m

James Pearce: With Markovic coming in and Lallana already done, I'd be surprised if Rodgers went for another wide player. #Griezmann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Not that i doubt you, but where did you get that info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

James Masters ‏@Masters_JamesD 1m
    BREAKING: FIFA says Suarez and Uruguay FA can appeal to CAS.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Not that i doubt you, but where did you get that info?

I have little birds everywhere

And
    10420146_10152549232584138_7302507909608428232_n.jpg

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »
    Sorry Nuri

While it was unlikely we'd sign him after Markovic, it's only Pearce opinion. Griezmann can play centrally, either wing or behind the striker too and would be a marquee signing, if I were the club I'd still sign him. Lallana can play deeper in midfield if needed as well.

Clings to straws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Vorm
    Lovren
    Moreno
    Firmino
    Markovic
    Origi
    1 excellent striker

and we are set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Just :pac: at using his sacking at Liverpool against him given all the turmoil at boardroom level, Inter's general insanity with Moratti in charge and being against him in wanting to bring the general age of the squad down, and his time in Chelsea which he secured top 4 and won the Europa League.

As for Napoli, they finished third with a high turnover of players coming through. You do realise the team that won Seria A set a new points record too?
    I've nothing against Benitez at Liverpool, quite the character in fact, but as an Inter fan, he was absolutely shocking in his short time there.

Vorm
    Lovren
    Moreno
    Firmino
    Markovic
    Origi
    1 excellent striker

and we are set.

Vorm - Think we will get in a keeper. Not sure if it will be Vorm.
    Lovren - Think this will happen.
    Moreno - Think this might happen eventually as well.
    Firmino - Don't think so.
    Markovic - Looks close.
    Origi- So does this.
    1 excellent striker - Not sure about excellent but think we will get another striker in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Benitez was top class at Liverpool.

Have to say his choice of jobs after were risky though.

Took over an Inter team that had just won the CL. Hard to improve on that.

And as interim manager at Chelsea. Regardless of what he achieved, the fans didn't want him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Oh, I'm sorry.

I seem to have missed the memo where it said that fans of United cannot give their opinion on anything to do with Liverpool without it being a bashing exercise.

I will sit in the corner and think about what I've done.

Thanks for showing me what a terrible person I am.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

djPSB wrote: »
    The guarantee of CL every year is worth diddly squat if it doesn't result in consistent silverware.

For example, as a Liverpool fan, I wouldn't be pleased if Liverpool were to qualify for the CL for the next 9 years yet only manage to win an FA Cup in that period.

How often does it happen that non-CL teams are challenging for the league or CL?

I completely disagree with what you say here in terms of a player making his decision to move.

10 Consecutive years of CL football or whatever is going to trump 1 season in six and a Carling Cup.

The trophy won't fund transfers or attract players.

Anyways hopefully the club has some kind of surprise in store before the end of August because I find it hard to shake the feeling that list of players linked with us has been a bit underwhelming. I would expect us to be able to sign nearly all of them even without CL football.

This Summer, Liverpool have both A. Champions League football and B. A huge pile of cash to spend. If you are going to bring in genuine quality you had better do it this Summer because we may not have either next Summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 trainslaughing

Anyways hopefully the club has some kind of surprise in store before the end of August because I find it hard to shake the feeling that list of players linked with us has been a bit underwhelming. I would expect us to be able to sign nearly all of them even without CL football.

This Summer, Liverpool have both A. Champions League football and B. A huge pile of cash to spend. If you are going to bring in genuine quality you had better do it this Summer because we may not have either next Summer.

There it all is right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

It doesn't really matter if we are underwhelmed or not by transfers.

The point isn't to please or appease fans. We know **** all in the scheme of things. I'm certain the club think Markovic is the best winger/attacking midfielder available to us at this point in time, otherwise they wouldn't sign him

It also doesn't really matter if we could/couldn't have signed them without CL football. It's not about how famous the players are or how expensive they are. It's about how well they fit in and perform for us this season and in the coming seasons.

Spurs signed two big names last summer - Soldado and Lamela both for around 30m. Both were hyped and there was general devastation last summer that we got neither. Soldado completely flopped. Lamela didn't start great and then spent the rest of the season injured.

If Markovic, Lallana and whoever else we sign have the impact that Coutinho or Sturridge have then I'll be happy

I've nothing against Benitez at Liverpool, quite the character in fact, but as an Inter fan, he was absolutely shocking in his short time there.

I called it at the time, but he was on a hiding to nothing after what had occurred the season before, as it was near certain that players would have slacked off unless perhaps Mourinho had remained in charge. Rafa wanted money to spend and to lower the average age of the squad by bringing in players who were hungry for success. Moratti didn't agree. There are one or similarities in that regard with Moyes and Man U, except Rafa is a vastly superior coach, obviously As an Inter fan, you should know how insane Moratti is. Despite that, he still won a couple of cups and it was still far too early for him to be sacked, IMHO.

• Advertisement

Oh, I'm sorry.

I seem to have missed the memo where it said that fans of United cannot give their opinion on anything to do with Liverpool without it being a bashing exercise.

One day I'll hear/read a United apply context to Rafa's situation in previous or current club, but till then..

Even just using last season to criticise him is misguided, let alone what happened at Liverpool or Inter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I called it at the time, but he was on a hiding to nothing after what had occurred the season before, as it was near certain that players would have slacked off unless perhaps Mourinho had remained in charge.
    Absolutely, whoever took the job was onto a loser really, so I don't actually blame him.
    Rafa wanted money to spend and to lower the average age of the squad by bringing in players who were hungry for success. Moratti didn't agree. There are one or similarities in that regard with Moyes and Man U, except Rafa is a vastly superior coach, obviously As an Inter fan, you should know how insane Moratti is.
    Oh yeah Moratti is a nut, can't argue with that. Pretty much wrecked the club at this point until Thohir took over, and it's still not rosy.
    Despite that, he still won a couple of cups and it was still far too early for him to be sacked, IMHO.
    I don't think it was ever going to work by the time he got sacked. Poor performances in both Europe and Serie A, plus the public outburst at Moratti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Serge Aurier has already signed by the looks of things :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serge_Aurier

It doesn't really matter if we are underwhelmed or not by transfers.

It also doesn't really matter if we could/couldn't have signed them without CL football. It's not about how famous the players are or how expensive they are. It's about how well they fit in and perform for us this season and in the coming seasons.

Spurs signed two big names last summer - Soldado and Lamela both for around 30m. Both were hyped and there was general devastation last summer that we got neither. Soldado completely flopped. Lamela didn't start great and then spent the rest of the season injured.

If Markovic, Lallana and whoever else we sign have the impact that Coutinho or Sturridge have then I'll be happy

Don't get me wrong. I think they are good players. Was a big fan of Lallana last season and I expect him to do very well. Markovic very highly rated but is young and we just haven't seen enough of him yet.

Just think this is an opportunity for the club to push the boat out a little that might not present itself next year. Maybe it will though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Oh, I'm sorry.

Its ok to make mistakes as long as you learn from them.

De Vrij is apparently Lazio bound. Another player I'd have been very happy with us signing to partner Sissoko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

The ignorance of calling the Italian league a cr4ppy league is breathtaking. I can imagine an Italian football fan coming on to boards.ie and listening to some galloot gassing on about how their league is cr4p.

3rd place is a poor finish now is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Serge Aurier has already signed by the looks of things :D

Christ he looks scarier than Sakho :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Don't get me wrong. I think they are good players. Was a big fan of Lallana last season and I expect him to do very well. Markovic very highly rated but is young and we just haven't seen enough of him yet.

Just think this is an opportunity for the club to push the boat out a little that might not present itself next year. Maybe it will though.

Thing is we tried to sign Alexis Sanchez, who is definitely at the upper end of the scale in terms of who we could attract (and we couldn't attract him!).

I'm not sure what big names are out there that want to come here that we are missing out on.

I know plenty want Griezmann, and yes, he does look like a very good player, likewise Shaqiri. But I wouldn't call either "big" names and I don't think either are a) a patch on what we are losing (Suarez) or b) much better than what we have in Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho. (not saying neither wouldn't be automatic starters here, of course they probably would, but I don't see them as no-brainer type signings that we have to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

FIFA have rejected Suarez appeal. Off to the CAS now I presume.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement