Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

It's utter delusion to think that Suarez is in anyway replaceable.

He doesn't just bring a phenomenal amount of goals and assists. He brings a will to win and work rate second to none.

Sanchez, Shaqiri etc. are all good players but not on the same level. Not many players are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Suarez announcement at tooth hurty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Alonso77 wrote: »
    people arent reading this article properly it seems. have another go at it

I didn't say the author wanted to. I simply said that people want to ignore the other 2 incidents. If it makes you feel better I did carry on reading and it got even more farcical imo. The author seems to be making a case that it wasn't so bad because Suarez didn't 'pursue the act long enough to draw blood.'

Anyway there needs to be some sort of middle ground here which is difficult when you're talking about a player that is so polarizing. Is it as bed as some are making out? No. But people should also remember that he has had help 2 previous times before now and it's something that he has continued to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Sanchez is well capable of stepping up and putting up quite similar numbers MHO.

I sincerely doubt he has 30 goals in him.

He's really not the best finisher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

slingerz wrote: »
    Di Marzio is supposed to be a spoofer. it is conincidental that the Shaqiri move was back on after last nights hat trick

Probably the most reliable by some distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gbear wrote: »
    I sincerely doubt he has 30 goals in him.

He's really not the best finisher.

He doesn't need to have 30 goals in him (though he might played more centrally)
    he just needs to be 18-20 goals ish and with some better defending, which was also true last season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

mike65 wrote: »
    He doesn't need to have 30 goals in him (though he might played more centrally)
    he just needs to be 18-20 goals ish and with some better defending, which was also true last season!

No, but Nuri said "similar numbers".

I don't see it happening in terms of goals.

Still, there's more than one way to skin a cat. We had **** all goals off the bench last season - I'd be surprised if it was more than 3.
    If we up that to 15 it'll cover the shortfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Barton, no stranger to controversy himself, wrote on Twitter: "I love Suarez. I love his passion for the game. I would have him on my team everyday of the week. I am also aware you can't defend him here.
    "All things considered I'd rather receive a bite than a leg-breaking challenge. Whilst he should be punished, it is not the end of the world.

Joey Barton, the voice of reason? World's gone mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Live stream of the press conference: http://nos.nl/nieuws/live/journaal24/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

4 month ban from football. Will miss first 2 months of season. Don't see anyone buying him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

9 game international ban and 4 month ban from all football

Could have been worse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

rob316 wrote: »
    Probably the most reliable by some distance.

We will have to agree to disagree on that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Uruguay forward Luis Suarez has been banned for nine matches and banned for four months "from any football activity" after biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

4 months ?

AnchormanBrick.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

9 match international ban and banned from all football for 4 months. Suarez you idiot.

• Advertisement

Amazed they can ban him for 4 months from all football. You would have to imagine that Liverpool will not be best pleased about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Suarez can't pass off biting someone on the pitch as some sort of acceptable casual play as he tried to articulate in the post match interview. It's totally unacceptable and he doesn't seem to get that. He seems to equate biting an opponent to tripping or taking a swipe at an opponent but it isn't. Simple as.

Tripping and swiping = yellow or red card depending on the circumstances.

Full on punching, violent kicking (as opposed to a 'mistimed tackle" ;) ) and headbutting etc = straight red card and the likelyhood of a multiple match ban depending on the circumstances, previous disciplinary record etc

Spitting = red card and longer ban - it's just disgusting and attracts a high punishment.

and then there's biting which is just in a different league in terms of not being acceptable. Sure, if a guy was asked would you prefer a career threatening broken leg from a "mistimed tackle" a la Roy Keane on Alf Inge Haaland or a nibble from Chewy Louis which didn't break skin (thus no risk of infection etc) in the cold light of day most guys would probably go for the nibble (and possible have the indentation marked forever with a tattoo) but from a social and governance perspective biting is off the chart and our Louis needs to understand that otherwise he'll keep doing it and he'll keep getting bans and losing sponsorship deals etc.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

He will be well rested. Lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Uruguay will appeal and it will be cut in half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

What a ******* joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

GAA teams lining up to take him for a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

slingerz wrote: »
    Amazed they can ban him for 4 months from all football. You would have to imagine that Liverpool will not be best pleased about that

I hope Liverpool challenge the ban . It was international football . He didn't do it while playing for Liverpool so the club shouldn't be punished .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Vanolder wrote: »

huh?

He will miss first 2 months of the premier league season.

Lovely?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

See ya November 1st ya crazy assed fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Vanolder wrote: »

For Halloween?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

That's an insane ban...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

So who was it saying FIFA can't ban him for club games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Should be back in nice time following an appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

4 months :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So who was it saying FIFA can't ban him for club games

Fools on the internet.

That's kinda cunning, its long enough to be seen as harsh but not so long as to rile Liverpool football club into legal action against FIFA - if they get angry it'll be with Suarez for putting them in this position.

Appeal may be logged, an appeal will not suspend the ban action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I hope Liverpool challenge the ban . It was international football . He didn't do it while playing for Liverpool so the club shouldn't be punished .

eh, it's not about who he plays for, they are punishing the player himself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

A joke of a decision. Premediated attacks get 3 games. A lad losing his temper gets 4 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I look forward to Henry taking FIFA on. Joke decision.

Can't see Liverpool letting this lie. They will surely claim they are being punished for something that happened in the international arena.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

To be fair, He got was what was coming to him

Id imagine he will accept the ban and move on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Justice.

Should have been 8 months and 20 internationals.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Should be back in nice time following an appeal.

we wont appeal...remember the Evra case?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

He shouldn't get a cent from the club during this ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It takes a Spanish Journo to ask the important question...
    No football anywhere for 4 months!
    On the bright side.....
    No football activity means no transfer of his registration in this transfer window at least.
    leaves us in need of another top class striker to be able to start this season as we finished last.
    Wonder what Liverpool's available sanctions are?
    Paying him whilst he has disqualified himself thru his own actions is surely going to grate with the owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Now Liverpool have a problem... how do FSG react to that?...

Fine him? Appeal, can they even appeal ? I'm not sure I can see how he can stay at the club now. That's 4 seasons in a row where he has missed a portion of the season.

Puts the club in a horrible position for 2 and a months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

Pfft.... Giving the rest of the premier league teams a head start again this season.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

By my count, he'll have missed a total of 28 Liverpool games through suspension, without having received a single red card. Surely that's a record...

He will miss way more games for Liverpool than he will for Uruguay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Dave Phillips ‏@lovefutebol 2m
    The ban on all football related activities also means Suarez cannot attend any football match. Not just a book but the library thrown. #lfc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

the_monkey wrote: »
    Justice.

Should have been 8 months and 20 internationals.

How is it justice if you think it should have been twice as long??

Uruguay will appeal and it will be cut in half.

Uruguay will appeal and I'd imagine Liverpool will lodge a complaint also.

Could see the appeal cutting his total ban from football in half or else being suspended.

Any date on when an appeal has to be lodged by?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

If someone goes to jail for a crime they committed outside their employment the employer doesn't get to appeal the case and ask that their employee be allowed out 9-5 Monday to Friday.

If as a result of his actions Suarez is unable to play for LFC for 2 months the contract will kick in and he'll be fined the appropriate amount. LFC won't technically be 'punished' as they won't have to pay him when he's not available to play. If he had bitten someone walking down the street he'd end up in bloody jail for 4 month. Either way he should know that his actions can have consequences beyond the pitch he is playing on and consider the effects of his actions before he decides he wants to nibble an opponent. What's wrong with the guy???

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Honestly don't think this'll stand up against an appeal, particularly now that it involves his club losing him for two months - the player & the team he was representing should be punished, as per the previous bans

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Precisely, if we've any backbone we'll get our lawyers involved - FIFA have opened up a real can of worms here by sanctioning bans in domestic football for offenses carried out for a national team

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement