Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Rodgers isn't so hot in the transfer window either close to 30 million for Allen and Borini

Closer to 25 actually. Borini was unlucky with 2 bad injuries in the first year. He'd still recoup 8m or so if he sold him.

If you want to knock his transfers I think last year was worse than the first year. Don't rate Aspas at all and Moses didn't work out on loan either.

Allen and Borini are good enough to be in the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Ger Byrne 1

any new signings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

any new signings

Keeping Aspas has been Rodgers best bit of business this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

any new signings

Yeah Arsenal signed Sanchez :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

8-10 wrote: »
    Closer to 25 actually. Borini was unlucky with 2 bad injuries in the first year. He'd still recoup 8m or so if he sold him.

If you want to knock his transfers I think last year was worse than the first year. Don't rate Aspas at all and Moses didn't work out on loan either.

Aspas and Moses only cost about £8-9m combined.

It's fairly low key compared to the money wasted by our rivals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I thought they were committee signings?

I'll say it again, Rodgers had Liverpool playing some of the best football in my lifetime but the signings have all been poor besides Danny S. coutinho can be hit or miss but no doubt a very good signing for the price paid. But the rest are all bad or reserve judgement signings.

Liverpool flattered to deceive last season by playing something like 41 games, they'll find it tougher this season, and lose Suarez and It's a hopeless case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yeah Arsenal signed Sanchez :P

Waste of money IMO...could have wrapped up 4th without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

I thought they were committee signings?

I'll say it again, Rodgers had Liverpool playing some of the best football in my lifetime but the signings have all been poor besides Danny S. coutinho can be hit or miss but no doubt a very good signing for the price paid. But the rest are all bad or reserve judgement signings.

Liverpool flattered to deceive last season by playing something like 41 games, they'll find it tougher this season, and lose Suarez and It's a hopeless case.

Jesus your right we should pull out of the champions league and get a petition going to keep Suarez :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Which one of Sturridge and Coutinho was possibly a disaster? LOL

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Hey all Arsenal supporter here , I just wanted to know why do Liverpool seem to have a chip on there shoulder when it comes to Arsenal and our players ?
    We don't, that chip on that shoulder is reserved for United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Orangutan-Didnt-Read-It-Dance-In-The-Rainforest-From-a-Commercial.gif

:pac::pac:....... thats the Gif of the month award wrapped up!!

Funniest gif I've ever seen and used to perfection.

Reply of the decade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Exactly.

Is there anyone who doesn't now think that Allen was a good signing?

Yes, his fee was high, but his wages are very low, and he still has years ahead of him.

He is a player that you wouldn't mind having in our first 11 in 2 or 3 positions and he is also a player who probably won't kick up a stink at being a squad player.

If we are going to have squad players, Allen is exactly the kind of squad player we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

MD1990 wrote: »
    Here is a list of Strikers/Forwards who we could a target

El Shaawawy - would be risky because of Injury problems
    Reus - No chance of happening
    Griezmann
    Cavani
    Morata
    Jese Rodriguez
    Vela
    Remy
    Bony
    Huntelaar
    Iturbe
    Callejon
    Lukaku
    Balotelli
    Bacca
    Martinez
    Aubameyang
    Higuain - Im not a fan of him

I hear Cavani is good. Ive yet to see it though.

My dream signing for this window, and the last window......and the window before that has been Jackson Martinez. I feel like tonly person in the world that likes the guy. Couldnt understand how he wasnt starting at the WC. I feel like im taking crazy pills.

Griezmann would suit our style of play down to the ground. It would be a crime to not be in for him. Everything about the guy works for us. Hes a young, technical, talented footballer with a good work ethic.
    I am genuinely surprised that we are not in there and over paying for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

IvzMKJ4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I dont care about Sanchez, he didnt want to come, getting CL place has lifted our signing power but were not in that zone yet.

We have CL and we have money and we have time. We've bought quickly and effectively so far. Keep the heads up Pandas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I dont care about Sanchez, he didnt want to come, getting CL place has lifted our signing power but were not in that zone yet.

We have CL and we have money and we have time. We've bought quickly and effectively so far. Keep the heads up Pandas

What zone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Exactly.

Is there anyone who doesn't now think that Allen was a good signing?

Yes, his fee was high, but his wages are very low, and he still has years ahead of him.

He is a player that you wouldn't mind having in our first 11 in 2 or 3 positions and he is also a player who probably won't kick up a stink at being a squad player.

If we are going to have squad players, Allen is exactly the kind of squad player we need.

Aye Allen came in at the run in and is a fine player. Nothing spectacular but just a solid squad player. He cost £15m and will probably be with us for another few years yet and is on relatively low wages I'd imagine, hardly one to beat Rodgers for. Borini is good enough for our squad but if we want to sell him getting our money back shouldn't be much of a problem either.

Tough to judge Rodgers, this transfer committee has caused a lot of uncertainty on who signs who. We know they type of player Rodgers likes so its probably easy to see who are his signings, Sakho I cant imagine is his, he is too clumsy with the ball at his feet.

Look at the signings he really hasn't spent much, if you want to judge him, judge him after this window when he will have spent circa £100m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

if Sancho prefers Albert Square to Brookside Close then it's his loss. Enjoy the inevitable slump, fooooool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

gafferino wrote: »
    What zone?

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Funniest gif I've ever seen and used to perfection.

Reply of the decade

I've been waiting ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Allen has contributed almost nothing so far. He may go on to be a good signing but as it stands, that £15m could have been spent much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I've been waiting ;)

Some of you lot are easily amused

When life gives you Oranges make gif posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

What zone?

The group of teams that more often than not make the CL year in year out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

El Shaarawy would be an exciting signing, have we been actually linked? Didn't know he had injury problems though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Exactly,

A-Holes.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Possibly a bit late in the day, but what I'd love J Henry to come out and say, along the lines of what he said last year when Suarez wanted to leave, "since contracts in England do not count for much, we are taking the position that since we cannot adequately replace Luis Suarez with enough proven, quality signings, therefore weakening our team, whilst simultaneously teams like Arsenal and Chelsea have significantly improved their teams, Luis Suarez is not for sale".

Would take some cojones to do that but I think it's the type of decision that needs to be made!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

It's still early. The rest will be amused soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Seaba wrote: »
    Possibly a bit late in the day, but what I'd love J Henry to come out and say, along the lines of what he said last year when Suarez wanted to leave, "since contracts in England do not count for much, we are taking the position that since we cannot adequately replace Luis Suarez with enough proven, quality signings, therefore weakening our team, whilst simultaneously teams like Arsenal and Chelsea have significantly improved their teams, Luis Suarez is not for sale".

Would take some cojones to do that but I think it's the type of decision that needs to be made!

:rolleyes: Would some people just accept he is gone, it is beyond speculation its only a matter of time now before it becomes reality with Sanchez sold.

Seaba wrote: »

If there's a clause though, can you ignore it if a club meets it?

rob316 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Would some people just accept he is gone, it is beyond speculation its only a matter of time now before it becomes reality with Sanchez sold.

Not sure why the smart reply. He was only making a point.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Didn't Henry come out and say that that was exactly what he did last summer?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Didn't Henry come out and say that that was exactly what he did last summer?

Yeah but was there a clause last summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

corporate-power-2.gif

Last gif I promise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

What zone?

END Zone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Don't stop the gifs.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

rob316 wrote: »

I know it looks like it, and I am not deluding myself, but I'd love to see him do it and stick it to the rest of them.

Yes, he believes so.
    This is posted in loads of different websites from last year - just picked one:

John W Henry made the following eye-popping remarks:
    Luis Suarez is the top scorer in the English Premier League, which is arguably the top soccer league in the world. He had a buyout clause of £40m. Arsenal, one of our prime rivals – this year we’re tied for 2nd … we’re actually 2nd because of goal difference.
    They offered £40m+£1. What we’ve found … is that contracts don’t seem to mean a lot in England – actually, in world football. It doesn’t matter how long a player’s contract is, he can decide he’s leaving.
    We sold a player, Fernando Torres, for £50m, that we did not want to sell, we were forced to. Since apparently these contracts don’t seem to hold, we took the position that we’re just not selling [Suarez].

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah but was there a clause last summer?

No idea, reports at the time seemed to suggest that there was and also what Henry said a couple of months ago. The other possibility is it was BS from Suarez's agent at the time and Henry was just trying to make himself look good. Either scenario could be true sure. I don't think Arsenal would have bid for him if they didn't at least think there was a clause.

Tusky wrote: »
    Allen has contributed almost nothing so far. He may go on to be a good signing but as it stands, that £15m could have been spent much better.

Can't agree with this at all. He made a significant contribution to us last season and was there, and playing very well, in some of our best performances.

He had injury problems at the start of the season, but he was there when Gerrard was out injured (excellent performances away to Spurs and City amongst others), when Henderson was suspended and when we wanted to go 3 in midfield he was a much better performer than Lucas

When you add to that the fact that he can ably cover for Gerrard in the deep midfield role, for Henderson in the CM role and can play further up effectively when we are playing an intense pressing game, then I think he is extremely valuable to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Why do the players with the best songs always leave? :(

Luis Garcia, Torres, Maxi, now Suarez... Sturridge better not get a good song now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Pete O'Rourke ‏@SkySportsPeteO
    Liverpool in advanced talks with Swansea over Wilfried Bony with player's agent thought to be meeting Liverpool officials. #LFC #swansfc

Looks like we are getting in Bony as Suarez's replacement.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    No idea, reports at the time seemed to suggest that there was and also what Henry said a couple of months ago. The other possibility is it was BS from Suarez's agent at the time and Henry was just trying to make himself look good. Either scenario could be true sure. I don't think Arsenal would have bid for him if they didn't at least think there was a clause.

Actually, Henry did come out and admit there was a clause but just refused to sell iirc.

I'm not sure of the legal side of such clauses tbh.

It's still early. The rest will be amused soon

Saptimus Prime hit the nail on the head yesterday....thread has crossed the line into Naked Gun/Airplane territory

Actually, Henry did come out and admit there was a clause but just refused to sell iirc.

I'm not sure of the legal side of such clauses tbh.

Apparently Arsenal could have taken him to court over it but it would have been pointless as it would have stretched on past the transfer window. Was a pretty ballsy move from Henry to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Cjs21 wrote: »

I don't think it will happen but I'd definitely take him!

Cjs21 wrote: »

I'd take him, but not at £40m. I don't think he's better than Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Wilfred Bony. Good god almighty.

Not worth near 19 million and is one of the slowest players in the league to boot. Lambert can do what Bony does.

I just don't understand whats going on with our transfer dealings. Overpaying for average players is our game it seems.

I would love Martinez. Even Remy at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

joe123 wrote: »
    Wilfred Bony. Good god almighty.

Not worth near 19 million and is one of the slowest players in the league to boot. Lambert can do what Bony does.

I just don't understand whats going on with our transfer dealings. Overpaying for average players is our game it seems.

I would love Martinez. Even Remy at this stage.

yee are in for remy to according to graeme bailey

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement